• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Fishers
    All, I recently picked up a new PK380 as a carry handgun for my wife. On the first trip to the range this weekend, I was less than impressed. Shooting 95gr. FMJ Speer Lawman ammo, basically every round created a jam issue. It looked to me like the next live round in the mag was creeping forward due to the previous shot's recoil. As the slide was recoiling to eject the spent round, it looks like the empty case rim was catching on the partially moved forward round in the mag, breaking it free from the extractor and leaving the spent case hanging in the chamber. Anyone ever seen this type of issue? Or have any suggestions to prevent it? Thanks for your help!

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Any gunsmith, smith and wesson and most walther owners will tell you, "put about 500 rounds through it and see if you still have that problem. Their tolerances are very tight, and they have to be broken in."
    Sometimes it works.. sometimes it doesn't.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Clean the gun throughly, also put a drop of lube into the extractor spring "hole".

Secondly: this is a horrendously common issues with the PK380s. So far at our range we have had a rear sight fall out, constant failure to extract, etc... Sending it back to Smith has helped a bit with the failure to extract thing, but it's still a 50/50 thing from what we have noticed.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I doubt it's the recoil bouncing the next round forward. It's more likely the disconnector rail on the underside of the slide pushing it forward as the gun cycles.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Clean the gun throughly, also put a drop of lube into the extractor spring "hole".

Secondly: this is a horrendously common issues with the PK380s. So far at our range we have had a rear sight fall out, constant failure to extract, etc... Sending it back to Smith has helped a bit with the failure to extract thing, but it's still a 50/50 thing from what we have noticed.

This makes me nervous as I was thinking about getting my GF this exact pistol. Anyone else have any thoughts on this???

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    This makes me nervous as I was thinking about getting my GF this exact pistol. Anyone else have any thoughts on this???

Sorry guy, I know your pain. I love the idea of the PK380. Compact, yet large enough to control like a larger handgun. Lightweight and packs enough ommph to get the job done.

I have seen only one of the myriad out at the range that worked and it still choked! I would suggest something like a Beretta 84 or similar from Gunbroker or CDNN has some excellent condition units of the above and at VERY reasonable pricing (300-400 for almost new pistols). A bit heavier, but still light, 13+ round capacity in a capable caliber and exceedingly reliable. Also, the design is very low recoil (despite being blowback) due to it's ergonomics, making it ideal for a non-shooter or new shooter to pack.

Only problem with the Beretta is that you will enjoy shooting it as much as she will, let the fight for custody begin!! :D

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Dang NOT good to see. I have one coming from Bud's (WHENEVER THEY GET AROUND TO ACTUALLY SHIPPING IT):xmad: So much for their fast shipping claim.:rolleyes:

I read the same things about the P22 after I had bought one. I have yet to have a single problem out of my P22 no matter what ammo I've shot out of it other than it did lead up the barrel with unplated ammo, but fed it fine. I guess I'll see how the PK380 functions when it gets here.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    We had some issues on a first trip to the range 50 rounds, went home cleaned / lubed as we normally do and have not had a problem since. That is what I would do, then go back to the range.

AutoMovt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    I hope you get your issued taken care of with a good cleaner and lub.

I purchased one for wife last year and it runs great. My wife shots 100 to 150 rounds every range day and we have never had a problem.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    My experience with our PK380 is that it is very prone to FTE's due to limp wristing. I've shot mags with no issue, concentrating on grip. As soon as I loosen up a bit, here comes the FTE's again. About 300 rounds through it and it is getting better.

AutoMovt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Glad to see this. What is her build my gf is a tiny woman.

She is 5'4" and 127 lbs or there about. She loves it because of the light recoil.

Of course our last range trip she fired my Colt 380 government model and I fear it may be hers soon. :ugh:

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    Mine took about 200 rounds of round nose to feed and function reliably, and after 500 rounds of hot hollowpoint reloads, it does what it's supposed to every time. No issues with it. If, after you clean it well and put a few hundred more through it, it doesn't function, get a shipping label from S&W and send it back. I've sent in two Smiths and a Walther in the last year and they've been very good to me.

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    I have not had this issue with my PK380. I have had a few FTF, but it seemed to be the ammo. Have stopped using Blazers and has been reliable since. Break in was around 200 rounds. If a cleaning and change of ammo does not remedy, then send it back. S&W service is quite dependable.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    With all of the quality .380's available right now, why put yourself through this grief? There are similar sized .380's from Bersa and CZ, smaller ones from Kahr, Ruger, Kel-Tec, Magnum Research, etc. that all seem to work better. Sure, any new firearm will benefit from a break-in period, but Smith & Wesson, as much as I love their revolvers, have had many issues with semi-autos. The only ones that seem to function well right out of the box IMHO seem to be the M&P's. :twocents:

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    With all of the quality .380's available right now, why put yourself through this grief? There are similar sized .380's from Bersa and CZ, smaller ones from Kahr, Ruger, Kel-Tec, Magnum Research, etc. that all seem to work better. Sure, any new firearm will benefit from a break-in period, but Smith & Wesson, as much as I love their revolvers, have had many issues with semi-autos. The only ones that seem to function well right out of the box IMHO seem to be the M&P's. :twocents:

This is the pistol that my GF keeps picking up and saying "i like this one" so that is why i will go through the grief. She is new to shooting so i have to get her what she wants.

Top Bottom