• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    So I picked up a Walther PPK/S today in a trade and and Im curious to learn more about it and exactly how much it could be worth, I have the original box and all the paperwork and there is a certificate in the box wrote in French, that says Le Pistolet automatiqoe portant le numero de frabriction 255517, du calibre 9mm a subi, avec succes, I epreuve imposee par le decret 60-12 du 12 Janvier 1960. and is stamped. can anyone tell me what exactly this means is the manufactured date 1960? if anyone can help I would appreciate it, Id like to know what its worth so I can either add it to the collection or see if anyone on here is interested in trading another pistol for it. there is also a little crown looking thing on the right side of the slide, the box says made in France, Interarms. the weapon is in excellent condition I can take pics if anyone is interested in seeing it.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What you have there is a Manurhin Walther, built in France under license. But AFAIK, they never built PPK/S, only PPKs and PPs.

From the Internet:
    After WWII, manufacturing was changed to the Manurhin Company in France for several reasons. First, the Zella-Mehlis factory fell into the East German sector that was controlled by the Soviets. Carl Walther barely escaped East Germany with just the clothes on his back, his family, and drawings for all his pistols. Next, West Germany was forbidden to make arms after WWII. So, he had to work a licensing agreement with Manurhin in 1952 to manufacture post-war PP and PPK pistols, which were made there until 1986. Things changed in Germany and in 1957 Walther established his new factory in Ulm. Many will think that because post war German PP pistols were marked with antlers (Ulm factory mark) and "Made in Germany," they were made at the new Walther plant. This is not true. Manurhin was well established in producing high quality PP series pistols and Walther saw no need to add this load to the new factory. Manurhin simply made the complete pistols then shipped them to Ulm where they were roll marked with the "Made in Germany" markings. This held true until, starting in 1978, a licensing disagreement began between Walther and Manurhin. Walther had let a contract with Ranger Manufacturing in Gadsden, Alabama for the production of the PPK and PPK/s models and distribution by Interarms in Alexandria, Virginia as a work-around for importing the PPK which was banned by the 1968 Gun Control Act. This was interpreted by Manurhin as a breech of their license with Walther for exclusive manufacture for the pistols. Manurhin continued to produce the PP series until 1986 when the license with Walther was finally pulled. In spite of this, Manurhin continued to make and distribute Walther PP pistols under their name for sale in Europe. As of 2007, the PPK license is now under the manufacturing control of Smith & Wesson who also make the PPK/s.

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    thanks for the help, it is in excellent condition and from what I have seen online during some research the price range varies, would you have a guess as to what it would be worth? I have seen several different prices so far

Jetrefz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Indianapolis
    i would be interested in knowing if the older walthers are better in quality than the newer walthers...i think if you investigated on gunbroker you could find the answer to your question..

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    thanks for the help, it is in excellent condition and from what I have seen online during some research the price range varies, would you have a guess as to what it would be worth? I have seen several different prices so far

You could rent it out to people wanting to do surgery on their own hand! :D

Top Bottom