• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just got a sks and I'm wanting to put a new stock and a decent scope on it. I also want to use 20 or 30 rounds mags. any thoughts or options on what works best?

SILVERBACK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    MONROVIA
    Tapco products seem the mainstream on SKS's. But adding a scope to one is unsatisfactory to most including me. Current scope mounts are a PITA to fit and zero if you like to clean your gun on a regular basis. 20 rnd tapco mag are reliable, but it is hard to overlook stock 10 rnd mag with stripper clips, take a look at TECH SIGHT TS200 sights, you might be amazed at what these sights can do for a SKS.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Wanting to make your SKS prettier? When you have a new girl that you like, you're supposed to tell her she's beautiful just the way she is.

majew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Tapco products seem the mainstream on SKS's. But adding a scope to one is unsatisfactory to most including me. Current scope mounts are a PITA to fit and zero if you like to clean your gun on a regular basis. 20 rnd tapco mag are reliable, but it is hard to overlook stock 10 rnd mag with stripper clips, take a look at TECH SIGHT TS200 sights, you might be amazed at what these sights can do for a SKS.

those sights looks like a good choice, I'm still not sure which would be better to use the 10 round mag in the gun or go with the 20 rounds tapco mags. I've really disliked stripper clips for my mosin so I'm not sure the sks will be any better.

SILVERBACK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    MONROVIA
    To each thier own on debating between factory 10 rnd vs tapco 20 rounders, anything else is no go IMHO. Stripper clips work with both but normally only about 50% work really well out of a set when I get them, you can tell just by loading them if they work well. Luckily they are cheap.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I have a Russian sks with a Shernic Gun Works (bullpup) stock. I have a Red Dot scope with flip up sights and it feeds Tapco magazines. This is my favorite rifle and I can convert it back to the wood stock if I want to. She is very pretty.

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    I have the tapco stock with the 30 rd mags and I like them and I am happy with the performance too.

majew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a Russian sks with a Shernic Gun Works (bullpup) stock. I have a Red Dot scope with flip up sights and it feeds Tapco magazines. This is my favorite rifle and I can convert it back to the wood stock if I want to. She is very pretty.

that stock looks awesome! now I am torn!

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    I personally LOVE the traditional SKS stock, but if you really want to make it sexier, Timbersmith stocks are the only way to go. My experience with Tapco stocks are they are bulky, ugly and just don't feel comfortable. I also prefer to stick with the factory 10rd mag with stripper clips. Much more reliable, at least compared to the 30rd mags.

TimberSmith - Premium Wooden Rifle Stocks (Powered by CubeCart)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    This belonged to a tinker friend of mine. He likes the bling. he loves the SKS, I thought it was putting lipstick and a garter belt on a pig.

chromesks.jpg

I like pigs in the package as bacon. I have no desire to pimp/bling out the SKS.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I just got a sks and I'm wanting to put a new stock and a decent scope on it. I also want to use 20 or 30 rounds mags. any thoughts or options on what works best?
    First you know you need to change several parts to make an SKS legal if using the removable mag? Look for 922R compliance. I am pretty old and my eyes are not what they used to be so I have added scopes to some, I used the replacement receiver cover with scope mounted. If you are very careful when fitting it they work just fine and do stay tight - does make it harder to disassemble as you have to tap the rear pin out instead of it just pulling out. If you wish, you can buy replacement Walnut stock & hand-guards. Tapco make many parts for the SKS and all are US made -count toward 922R compliance parts.

majew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    First you know you need to change several parts to make an SKS legal if using the removable mag? Look for 922R compliance. I am pretty old and my eyes are not what they used to be so I have added scopes to some, I used the replacement receiver cover with scope mounted. If you are very careful when fitting it they work just fine and do stay tight - does make it harder to disassemble as you have to tap the rear pin out instead of it just pulling out. If you wish, you can buy replacement Walnut stock & hand-guards. Tapco make many parts for the SKS and all are US made -count toward 922R compliance parts.

so if i make ANY modifications to my sks I have make sure the thing is 922r complaint? but if i do nothing to it, its fine?

happyfiero

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Campbellsburg IN.
    yes as is , you are legal but
    add a removable mag and its 922r time
    think the mag is 3 parts on the count
    I use only tapco 20s work great.
    Scope is doable but pain in the ass , need a good mount
    and a deflector.
    buba-1.jpg

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    There's an old saying about "gussying up a pig". I'll leave mine as it was meant to be, a hell for strong old workhorse of a gun . A billion Commies can't be wrong.

Top Bottom