• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I'm wondering if the night sights may be a different height or dimensions than standard Glock sights, if so it may be just enough to be pressing on a nerve in your leg.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Tritium is a Beta Emitter and cannot harm you from outside the body. Clothing and a holster will block the radiation from a beta emitter and not affect you. In fact your dead skin cells will protect you from tritium. Do not break open the glass night sight vials and eat the contents. Further info from the Savannah River Nuclear site and Health Physics Society.

http://www.srs.gov/general/news/factsheets/het.pdf

Tritium is a radioactive form of hydrogen. An atom of normal hydrogen has one negative particle, called an electron, and one positive particle, called a proton. An atom of tritium also contains two neutral particles, called neutrons. These extra particles make the tritium atom unstable and cause it to emit a very low-energy form of beta radiation.Like normal hydrogen, tritium can bond with oxygen to form water. When this happens,the resulting water (called tritium oxide or tritiated water) is also radioactive. Because tritium oxide is chemically identical to normal water, it cannot be filtered out of the water.

Any possible health effects from tritium are the result of the beta radiation it emits.Because tritium’s radiation cannot penetrate the skin, the only real exposure a personreceives is the radiation received while tritium is inside the body.Exposure time — and thus the possibility of health effects — depends on the form of tritium present, elemental tritium gas or tritium oxide. While people can inhale tritium gas, only about 0.004 percent is retained more than a minute or so, so it is an insignificant exposure hazard.Tritium oxide can enter the body in various ways. It can be inhaled as water vapor,absorbed by the skin or consumed. Regardless of the way it enters the body, tritium oxide immediately mixes with the body fluids and is eliminated like normal water. The rate of elimination,naturally, varies from person to person. In general, however, half of the tritiated water is eliminated in 10 days.This can be sped up by drinking larger quantities of liquids.

http://hps.org/documents/tritium_fact_sheet.pdf

The half-life of tritium is 12.3 years. The beta particle that is emitted by tritium is considered to be very weak, having an average kinetic energy of 6 keV. As a result, these particular beta particles can only travel about 6 mm in air before they lose their ability to cause ionizations. In tissue, tritium’s beta particle is so weak that it cannot penetrate the typical thickness of the dead layer of skin that exists on the outside of the human body. For this reason, the beta particle emitted by tritium is generally only considered to be hazardous if a significant quantity of tritium is, or has the potential to be, taken into the body.

This is a picture of what Beta burns look like. This is the "Radioactive Boy Scout". More info about him here... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

and here The Radioactive Boy Scout | Harper's Magazine

5494c8c29f8a1_david_hahn.jpg

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    ^^^ That. Excellent response. I would personally be more concerned about where my cell phone was pointed. my last one came with a series of warnings to keep the back of it at least 1 centimeter away from the body.

Chris

OVERTHEHILLGUY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NEAR GREENWOOD, INDI
    I spoke to the "coots cland " members at MCF&G today about my problem of numbness in my hip.
    Most agreed that I should carry a heaver maybe leather holster outside the hip holster .
    BTW, "THE COOTS CLAND" are a group of wise retired gentlemen from all walks of life.
    Col JT

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Tritium is a Beta Emitter and cannot harm you from outside the body. Clothing and a holster will block the radiation from a beta emitter and not affect you. In fact your dead skin cells will protect you from tritium. Do not break open the glass night sight vials and eat the contents. Further info from the Savannah River Nuclear site and Health Physics Society.

http://www.srs.gov/general/news/factsheets/het.pdf

Tritium is a radioactive form of hydrogen. An atom of normal hydrogen has one negative particle, called an electron, and one positive particle, called a proton. An atom of tritium also contains two neutral particles, called neutrons. These extra particles make the tritium atom unstable and cause it to emit a very low-energy form of beta radiation.Like normal hydrogen, tritium can bond with oxygen to form water. When this happens,the resulting water (called tritium oxide or tritiated water) is also radioactive. Because tritium oxide is chemically identical to normal water, it cannot be filtered out of the water.

Any possible health effects from tritium are the result of the beta radiation it emits.Because tritium’s radiation cannot penetrate the skin, the only real exposure a personreceives is the radiation received while tritium is inside the body.Exposure time — and thus the possibility of health effects — depends on the form of tritium present, elemental tritium gas or tritium oxide. While people can inhale tritium gas, only about 0.004 percent is retained more than a minute or so, so it is an insignificant exposure hazard.Tritium oxide can enter the body in various ways. It can be inhaled as water vapor,absorbed by the skin or consumed. Regardless of the way it enters the body, tritium oxide immediately mixes with the body fluids and is eliminated like normal water. The rate of elimination,naturally, varies from person to person. In general, however, half of the tritiated water is eliminated in 10 days.This can be sped up by drinking larger quantities of liquids.

http://hps.org/documents/tritium_fact_sheet.pdf

The half-life of tritium is 12.3 years. The beta particle that is emitted by tritium is considered to be very weak, having an average kinetic energy of 6 keV. As a result, these particular beta particles can only travel about 6 mm in air before they lose their ability to cause ionizations. In tissue, tritium’s beta particle is so weak that it cannot penetrate the typical thickness of the dead layer of skin that exists on the outside of the human body. For this reason, the beta particle emitted by tritium is generally only considered to be hazardous if a significant quantity of tritium is, or has the potential to be, taken into the body.

This is a picture of what Beta burns look like. This is the "Radioactive Boy Scout". More info about him here... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

and here The Radioactive Boy Scout | Harper's Magazine

5494c8c29f8a1_david_hahn.jpg

Thanks for the great explanation, and saving me from dredging up info I used to have to know, +20 years ago.

OVERTHEHILLGUY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NEAR GREENWOOD, INDI
    Hey guys, thanks for all your views and replys.
    Love the jokes about the glowing balls! At almost 80 years old, mine are very dim and flicker .
    Sadly the jury is still out on my real/unreal problem.
    Been thinking about a belt oswb. holster for my Glock 43.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    Merry Christmas to all !
    jt

Last edited:
    Top Bottom