• ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Like many of you, I to was around during the 94 ban. It was nothing like what is happening now. I went to my normal favorite out of the way family owned mom-n-pop gun shop yesterday where ammo is never an issue. Told my buddy the owner that I wanted a brick of CCI Blazer .22 ammo. His reply...sorry man, I will only sell it in single boxes and then just two boxes per customer no brick sales until further notice. I have to have enough on hand for customers who are buying guns that want ammo to go with the new gun purchase. WOW!! UN-real it is that bad. Even for the little shops. I have been doing business with this shop for 20+ years and it just floored me that it has come to this. The owner and I are GOOD friends and still...he had to turn me away. Not mad at him, just stunned that's all.I understand it is just business.:(

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    To answer the OP no it hasn't.

I bought my first rifle shortly after turning 18.. .that was 1997 so we were waist deep in the AWB. Fortunately you could still get Lapua 7.62 and Norinco green and yellow box (god I miss that ammo) everywhere and MAK90s were lying around like spilled M&Ms. If you wanted you could another $150 on top of the $400 entry MAK price and get a real Polytech without all the garbage neuter jobs performed to it.

It's never been like this before since my time in. I talk with a friend on the other side of the country every week and we talk about this, that and everything and one thing that is different now then before is the nature of the gun market. FOR YEARS when you went to a show it was DOMINATED by older gentlemen who ran tables and tables of bolt gun, over unders, double barrels, and once in awhile you'd find a guy who had a spread of M1s and Thompsons. Don't get me wrong, I love these rifles as much as the next guy but then at a show of 200 tables you had ...maybe 5 guys who brought in ARs or AKs/SKSs. Once a year the guy with FALs would show up.

The market is driven by these rifles now. It has changed dramatically. Those old timers aren't around like they used to be and although there are still tables of that stuff at every show they are now in the minority. In fact everyone at a show now looks like me. Tattoos, piercings and younger then me. I talk with alot of this crowd and they all have alot in common. They aren't conservative, or liberal, they aren't Republicans or Democrats or members fo the NRA or GOA or whoever. They're just Americans wanting to own guns... this is healthier I think. In fact if I had to pin a label on most new gun owners I would say they're Libertarian bent. Slowly over the last 5-10 years the country has been arming up in a big way. For the most part most of these new owners aren't in a "fad" either. Everyone I shoot with is roughly my age and we all have about the same sine collection. Sure used gear enters the market but it is immediately swallowed up by the market segment that specializes in used gear..... people like me on a budget.

Now if could only get some more of that Norinco green or yellow box back in the country....

bberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    While I am glad to see so many posts showing so much concern.... I would be far more impressed to hear all of them saying I'm outraged and have contacted all of my representatives (I for one have) The only way they pass the bills and win the fight is if we don't fight back. If your reps agree on the 2nd amendment tell them to do more we are backing them if they don't remind them that if they don't change and represent you they will be voted out. that is how we begin to keep our freedoms. so if you haven't already, much as I hate to say it, get off this forum and go e-mail them now. know their stance and support or tell them they go in the next election!

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Unfortunately, it would be all too easy for Americans to be disarmed. They don't have to go door to door, most gun owners would willingly come to them. All they have to do is to make possession a crime with a mandatory jail sentence then, give an amnesty period for turn ins. Once that is past, they would just need to do probable cause searches any time they are called to a house that had any shred of evidence of having been a gun owner. If you had an LTCH and even if you turned in 10 guns, they would still do a search. In many cases, they would find a gun and then publicize the jailing of a normal person for weapons charges. Also, if anyone actually uses their gun to protect themselves or someone else, arrest them and open them to lawsuits by the person shot.

Do that for 2 years and then have another amnesty period. By that time, most people would realize that having a gun was doing them no good if it was buried in the yard and put them in jeopardy if it were found. That second amnesty would pull in most guns.

We need to be vigilant and never think there is no way they could disarm us. If my Glock is buried in the back yard, I have been disarmed already. If I cannot carry my gun for protection, then I have been disarmed whether or not they have taken my gun.

If thats the way you see it, then we really dont need the 2nd amendment then if everyone is just going to roll over to a tyrannical government instead of using for what it was meant for TO protect our freedoms.

GGF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    They really don't need to pass any laws or enact any ban.

Like it or not none of us are finding guns and ammo like we did a coupla' months ago, most of us aren't shooting up our precious ammo either.

Say what you will about our 2nd Amendment rights, I agree with you and have contacted elected officials, but cut off the ammo supply and we're out of business regardless.

If the AWB crowd are paying attention this is how they'll come at us.

GGF

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The more disturbing news is that A LOT of those people either voted for Obama or just didn't vote at all and are all of a sudden waking up and going "HOLY SHIITE BATMAN!" look where they are trying to take us. The light bulb JUST came on. My question is: "where the F&@$ were these folks leading up to the election?" Were they not paying attention? Or were they just goofing off blissfully unaware of ALL OF THE SIGNS AND COMMON SENSE that clearly showed where Obama and the Libs planned on taking things. A lot of these folks were the naysayers that REFUSED to believe that this could (WOULD) happen.

I won't put down how I REALLY feel about these folks.

I know several people who were saying going into the election that Obama wasn't after guns, and that he had not taken any action on it. They didn't believe us when we said it was a matter of time and that he was just biding his time until he did not have anything to lose. Now they understand.

While I am glad to see so many posts showing so much concern.... I would be far more impressed to hear all of them saying I'm outraged and have contacted all of my representatives (I for one have) The only way they pass the bills and win the fight is if we don't fight back. If your reps agree on the 2nd amendment tell them to do more we are backing them if they don't remind them that if they don't change and represent you they will be voted out. that is how we begin to keep our freedoms. so if you haven't already, much as I hate to say it, get off this forum and go e-mail them now. know their stance and support or tell them they go in the next election!

I've contacted my reps, and many others here have as well.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    I gave up and started reloading and did my homework and started picking up everything ordered a dillon press in December and it is still on back order. Craziness.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Reloading during a scare is usually neigh impossible for that very reason, primers.

If you can't buy ammo on the shelf, it's unlikely you can buy components.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They really don't need to pass any laws or enact any ban.

Like it or not none of us are finding guns and ammo like we did a coupla' months ago, most of us aren't shooting up our precious ammo either.

Say what you will about our 2nd Amendment rights, I agree with you and have contacted elected officials, but cut off the ammo supply and we're out of business regardless.

If the AWB crowd are paying attention this is how they'll come at us.

GGF

The AWB isn't coming at us, we're doing it to ourselves. Point out that folks are pricing new shooters out of the market, which hurts gun owners long term, and people jump down your throat with ITS THE FREE MARKET!!!! YOU HATE CAPITALISM!!!!

Of course its free market, and of course you can inflate the prices all you want for reasons real or imagined. That doesn't mean there aren't consequences. If fewer and fewer people can afford to procure and use firearms, fewer and fewer people will care about firearms, and the associated rights.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Reloading during a scare is usually neigh impossible for that very reason, primers.

If you can't buy ammo on the shelf, it's unlikely you can buy components.

Yeah, but you can stock enough primers for months of shooting for not much money. Point in fact anyone who has been reloading for any length of time has no excuse for not having at least a few thousand primers set back.

Also, you can still get primers if you are willing to wait a month or two.

Tandem160

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Nah..it's not much different than it was during the "ban". This receipt is for a Bushmaster XM15-E2, 5 or 6 metal 30 rounders (that was the hardest part) and a 1k case of Winchester. I regretted at the time not spending a little more for the tungston steel, Chinese penatrators..$50.00 or so dollars.

photo_zpsf8179dd8.jpg

Last edited:

Jim1117

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    I bought a 50 round box of .40 for about $17 two weeks ago and a 50 round box of .380 for $18 about a week before that.
    Not sure if that is high or not since I am just getting back into all this but it did not sound too bad to me. On line I notice they are more expensive.

Top Bottom