• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    this happened right behind my woods.. shame but he had called DNR and after they checked it he took the heads and left the rest for the yotes
    15027945_1057596801018218_1909677564761264847_n.jpg

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    The question was one of any incidents. Not to turn it into another debate "centerfire or not". For the two or three who answered, thank you. From that short sampling I would deduce that at this point incidents are minimal if not zero. Geez Louise.

Sorry for getting off topic........but it is INGO.....things seldom stay on the tracks.:ingo:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    If a significant percentage of the big bucks are killed off this year, what do you think people are going to shoot next year? For many, a small buck is better than no buck at all.

Probably the big bucks that survived and the younger ones that will become mature. Hunters are not going to kill all of the mature bucks. You do realize plenty of other state allow rifles, are more conducive to the full use of rifles and still have plenty of big bucks don't you? If, and frankly it is a huge if at this point, we see a statistically significant increase in the harvest of mature bucks for this year AND we see a huge drop off in 2017, then this would be a worthwhile discussion.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I've been keeping track of the injuries associated with hunting in this area. Mostly through people that I know how work in the hospital systems.
    The only shooting related hunting accident so far in our area has come from a shotgun.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Probably the big bucks that survived and the younger ones that will become mature. Hunters are not going to kill all of the mature bucks. You do realize plenty of other state allow rifles, are more conducive to the full use of rifles and still have plenty of big bucks don't you? If, and frankly it is a huge if at this point, we see a statistically significant increase in the harvest of mature bucks for this year AND we see a huge drop off in 2017, then this would be a worthwhile discussion.

Soooo, if the young bucks that will become mature are shot I don't understand how they will still become mature?

Again, I mentioned I'd be happy to be wrong. You can speculate that you're correct and I'm not all you want, knock yourself out. IN is not OH, IL, IA, KY or KS and what happens there may or may not yield the same results here.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I hope you're wrong , too, Phylo. I find it hard to believe that those Fudds who have no deer hunting experience are gonna use rifles and suddenly gonna tag a buck in numbers high enough to be much more than a statistical blip, and I hope I'm right.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    According to the IDNR biologists the biggest factor that determines an increase or decrease in deer harvest is the weather. Nice weather means hunters are in their stands more and longer. IDNR is not the only state agency that feels this way. Illinois saw a spike in deer harvest numbers last year and they contributed it to the great weather on opening weekend, nothing more, nothing less.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't consider 60*F to be "nice" hunting weather. I do consider stretching the effective range of firearms from 150yds to 300yds to be a contributor.

To be clear here, I am glad to see IN adopt centerfire rifles for deer hunting. My hunting partner killed a beautiful buck with my .308 which he probably wouldn't have taken with his bow. I simply would have preferred that it be a more limited season. Call me crazy but I like to see deer when I hunt. I like to see big bucks when I hunt. I see precious few attempts by the state to forward this agenda, what I see are continuous attempts to reduce the herd. We haven't killed a doe on our farm in six years and we are far from being overrun. If we began killing the 16 we are legally allowed to kill there wouldn't be a deer left on the place. If we did I doubt anyone from the IDNR would be showing up to ask us to stop killing them off.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I hope you're wrong , too, Phylo. I find it hard to believe that those Fudds who have no deer hunting experience are gonna use rifles and suddenly gonna tag a buck in numbers high enough to be much more than a statistical blip, and I hope I'm right.

I have been asking around the gun shops as I go in, including Gander and Dicks. It sounds like the number of new caliber rifles purchased was on the really low end of expectations. Sounds like the majority of new rifles purchased were in .243 which makes me wonder if that wasn't women, youth and older hunters moving over from harder kicking shotguns or heavy levers and bull barrel handi-rifles. It seems like the Remington 783 was a big seller as well according to most shops.

I moved to the .308 this year and was delighted in the fact that I was able to quickly take two doe with the first at 60 yards and the second at 120 after she ran up the hill after the first shot.

One thing I did have to do though this year was explore my back drops from all angles of my stand and decided one shot off to my left was a no go with a house behind it at around 700 yards. The angle from the stand is steep enough I would probably have been ok but decided not to risk it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Maybe a .243 is just a hellova flat round that takes a lot of the guesstimation out of the equation.
    I've been hooked on the .243 since the mid 80s. I had a huge groundhog problem and it was really effective out to long distances.
    Then again... I've been old it seems for a long time. Maybe I've been a recoil sissy and didn't know it.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Maybe a .243 is just a hellova flat round that takes a lot of the guesstimation out of the equation.
    I've been hooked on the .243 since the mid 80s. I had a huge groundhog problem and it was really effective out to long distances.
    Then again... I've been old it seems for a long time. Maybe I've been a recoil sissy and didn't know it.

Don't think shooting. .243 makes you a sissy, maybe you are smarter then everyone else. I only said youth, women and older men based on the fact that's who seems to buy more 243 when I read boards. Nothing wrong with 243 at all, I just want a .308 since I want one rifle I could take out west when I save up. Being older is usually better so don't take my dumb observation on a things to heart.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I am NOT a trophy hunter, period. I don`t begrudge the guys who are after trophy bucks, I just wish that in general, the trophy guys weren`t so down on those of us who just want to kill a deer. I love venison, I the love the experience of the hunt, and I love killing deer. Any legally killed deer, that any lawful hunter wishes to kill is their own personal choice. I`ve seen guys belittled by the so called, "serious" hunters for killing an "inferior" buck. What a load of hooey! That guy bought his license just like me, and he may kill whatever deer he pleases. In my personal opinion, even though, believe me, I fully understand the drawl of the big racked bucks, but, the antler obsession is counter productive to the long term benefit of deer hunting, period.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Don't think shooting. .243 makes you a sissy, maybe you are smarter then everyone else. I only said youth, women and older men based on the fact that's who seems to buy more 243 when I read boards. Nothing wrong with 243 at all, I just want a .308 since I want one rifle I could take out west when I save up. Being older is usually better so don't take my dumb observation on a things to heart.

I hunt out west with a Model 70 in .243 and a Rem 760 in '06.
    I have an AR10-4 Armalite, S.A. M1A1 Scout, and an old Model 70 in .308.
    I use the .30-06 when I'm in Bear country for Muleys and ELk. Normally I use the .243 for Muleys and antelope when not in known bear country.
    My 1988 model 70 in .243 is the best shooting rifle I own. IF I can see the animal I can put a kill shot where I want it. I'm sure I'm a recoil sissy btw.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yeah some "trophy" guys are deeks.
    But so then are some of the "meat hunters".

Had guys get all jealous about others at work shooting nice bucks..........but then the next yr they say they blasted 4 does and 3 button bucks off their property opening weekend. Or smoke a forky (first thing that came by with antlers).

IMHO most people suck, doesn't matter if they hunt or not (or what they hunt).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm a .243 fan, been shooting one since 8th grade (when I upgraded from a .222 rem 660 to a Ruger #1B).
    Have had several for chucks and yotes.

Deer? I have one. Actually two, but one will be redone to something else.

For longer shots out west, I'd opt for a .260 rem or 7mm-08. Would not pick a .308 win.

My hunting bud says his .30-06 Rem 760 (buttplate, not pad) kinda chewed on him (150's). I had a similar vintage model and found it to be no big deal. We are same size and build.

Been eyeing a 7 mag again............kinda miss the one I had (sold for a .300 mag, which was sold for a .338 winmag.....that I never got LOL)

Top Bottom