• Was he right, wrong, or bacon?

• Total voters

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I am guessing there was glass windows behind the bad guy, hard to know if he really had a clean shot, guessing not, having said that how are we to know the bad guy wasn't going to do a mag dump as he exited, you would think that would never happen but there have been several clerks that were shot AT THE END of a robbery for no reason.

Tough call, would have to be there to play it out.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Morally, in the right. Legally? Probably not. I suppose his defense could be that he was going to employ a citizen's arrest, and was shooting in order to stop a fleeing felon who was fleeing arrest. In today's political climate uniformed Officers are getting jammed-up for shooting at fleeing felons. He could get a good jury. I would hang the jury for him if I was a juror in the case. I wouldn't have done what he did........ I wouldn't allow him to be punished for doing it either. I only saw 1 crime on that video no matter that I saw 2 guns.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Close calls go to the guy NOT robbing the store. If I was forced to be hyper-critical, I could be, but things happen fast and I won't criticize this.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Right around the 1:29 mark it looks like he racks the slide to chamber a round. I'd say he is wrong for not carrying with a round chambered.

I'd say he did pretty well troughout the rest of the sequence.

MBogus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Would have to say that the customer was in the right. Not having audio we don't know what verbal commands were made, but it looks good to me. Anyone robbing a store with a firearm within my sight line is still a threat.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I voted Bacon. Right or wrong? Legal or illegal? Morally justified or morally wrong?

I came down to this: Necessary and advisable action or unnecessary and inadvisable action?

Based on what I could see, it appeared that the threat was over when good guy started shooting. Why put oneself at risk and shoot someone under these circumstances when it appeared that no one's life was in immediate danger. The good guy had what looked like a nice position under concealment or cover, so may wait and see.

Again, I understand things happen fast and my sympathies lie entirely with the good guy. My hindsight says that his action was not advisable.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Hard to make a judgement call with what we have here but I think he was a little late in engaging the thief. It appears to me that the guy was already fleeing when he drew down on him.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I voted Bacon. Right or wrong? Legal or illegal? Morally justified or morally wrong?

I came down to this: Necessary and advisable action or unnecessary and inadvisable action?

Based on what I could see, it appeared that the threat was over when good guy started shooting. Why put oneself at risk and shoot someone under these circumstances when it appeared that no one's life was in immediate danger. The good guy had what looked like a nice position under concealment or cover, so may wait and see.

Again, I understand things happen fast and my sympathies lie entirely with the good guy. My hindsight says that his action was not advisable.

Bacon is always a good choice.

Hard to make a judgement call with what we have here but I think he was a little late in engaging the thief. It appears to me that the guy was already fleeing when he drew down on him.

I agree, late to the party. Had the gun been on him I would have had no doubts.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Probably OK, I think I see a white man behind the mask so legally the president will not bring the entire federal law enforcement, judicial system, jesse jackson and the 3 bears down on the guy. I could not say in this case because there are way too many area's I can't see. If he is heading for the door are there people coming in? The guy was fleeing, I would probably be gun ready but let him go. If he even turned around with the weapon, I'd probably return early fire since there is no reason for a fleeing person who already has what they came for to slow down on exit and turn around and aim a weapon. it's really about gun instinct, and always keeping in mind it's all about protecting lives, starting with me and my loved ones. Property can be replaced, and the bad guy can be taught a lesson another day under less dangerous conditions. It's not worth putting a round in a bad guy if the return fire has a chance of killing a bystander. If he becomes a more likely threat then you have to weight the probability of actions vs non action and go with it. There is way too much missing information for anyone to make a call on it.

I would like to hear the legal eagles response to the question. While he is holding a gun on a clerk a ccw from behind could probably stop him cold and fast if the gun was not aimed at her at the time, but again the civil suit is completely different than a criminal charge. It's never going to be cheap, easy, or not have lasting effects on you so if you ever have to pull the trigger, make sure it's a last resort. That said, when it's time to shoot, it's time to shoot. Oh, as mentioned carrying should be done with a round chambered.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Ill advised in my opinion. The suspect appeared to be leaving the store when the citizen opened fire. While morally I have zero issues with it the law (here in IN anyway) doesn't allow for a non LE type to shoot to prevent the escape of a person who poses a significant threat to public safety. Big kudos to the armed citizen for waiting until the innocent had cleared the line of fire and more kudos for his willingness to take action. I sure wouldn't vote to convict of anything but if I were showing this video to friends or family as an example my advice would be to let the suspect go once he begins moving to exit the store.

JCA1776

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Definitely a tough call. I think if there had been a round chambered, he would have been ok at the first engagement. However, by the time the round was chambered, the threat was moving away. So, I voted "No."

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Had the citizen fired while the suspect was still interacting with the clerk it would be a different situation. At some point the suspect stopped being a clear and direct threat to the people inside that store and became a fleeing suspect, the law will recognize that difference and taking action after that transition could result in issues for someone whose heart is in the right place.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Ill advised in my opinion. The suspect appeared to be leaving the store when the citizen opened fire. While morally I have zero issues with it the law (here in IN anyway) doesn't allow for a non LE type to shoot to prevent the escape of a person who poses a significant threat to public safety. Big kudos to the armed citizen for waiting until the innocent had cleared the line of fire and more kudos for his willingness to take action. I sure wouldn't vote to convict of anything but if I were showing this video to friends or family as an example my advice would be to let the suspect go once he begins moving to exit the store.

I agree with this.

The line of fire was clear, but if the BG fires back he's shooting in the direction of everyone else too...

Top Bottom