• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csnoski

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ***Was Thomas Jefferson a Prophet Too?

Thomas Jefferson
    in some cases could be called a prophet.

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe.
    Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those ho are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
    Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

<>

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
    Thomas Jefferson

In light of the present financial crisis, it's interesting to read what Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control
    the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all
    property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    he was a smart man, one we can learn alot from, but not a prophet. (He was a devout Christian, who kept a prayer book at his bedside.)

Albert Jay Nock wrote an excellent biography of Jefferson. i highly recommend it. It was largely a compilation of Jefferson memoirs. Pretty lively read.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    (He was a devout Christian, who kept a prayer book at his bedside.)

Really?? :dunno:

"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." 1787 letter to his nephew

This among many quotes that would seem to indicate he was an Atheist or at least a Deist. :dunno:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    That was actually one of the reasons they came to America. To be free of religious prosecution. Not to mention the indentured servitude, penal reasons of course.

Go Devil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    There have been many prophets over the ages; there are even prophets today.

Prophet: Individual with the uncanny ability to access history, people, and current events; followed by the ability to speak his/her mind.

Kinda takes the magic out of things doesn't it.

Something tells me that some one on this site has blue eyes~~~~~~~~~

Whoa, I just scared myself!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Few of our founding fathers where actually christian...

:orly:

Frank Lambert examines the religion of the founding fathers in his book, "The Founding Fathers and the Place of Religion in America" (2003, Princeton University Press).

While some considered themselves to be deists (or seem to have been due to their beliefs), and some had no religious affiliation, the rest were Protestants (of various sorts) while three were Roman Catholics.

Jefferson has been controversial for a while. He was raised in the Church of England, but his views were often anti-clerical and opposed to "organized" religion. He certainly was not a Christian as of 1803, but his diesm was heavily influenced by Christianity. There's some later evidence that he embrace Unitarianism a year or so before his death, but he never joined an affiliated organization (which doesn't surprise me).

However, it's pretty well known that with the exception of a few, the founding fathers were religious men, most of whom were Christian.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    He was a scholar and a historian.... He seen past mistakes and knew history would repeat its self. And he knew only by understanding the past can we ever put up safeguards against it. With this Ideas they gave us the constitution so that when history trys to repeat its self we have the knowledge and power to stop it. this way we great a new future instead of repeating the past.

Top Bottom