Washington, DC police officers under investigation after confiscating guns without making arrests

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    "In these cases, the suspect was not arrested, and the suspect should’ve been arrested," Contee said during a press conference Friday evening. "The firearm was taken and placed into evidence, however, the suspect was allowed to go free, and that’s just not the way that we conduct business in the Metropolitan Police Department."

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I guess I'm only shocked that the firearms were actually booked into evidence. What case would you attach them to?

I mean you gotta get your holdout from an anonymous supplier right?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I guess I'm only shocked that the firearms were actually booked into evidence. What case would you attach them to?

I mean you gotta get your holdout from an anonymous supplier right?

You can take a report without making a case on someone. Officers have discretion in making an arrest at the scene, issuing a summons, swearing out a warrant later, or just cutting someone a break but still confiscating the illegal item. It's fairly common with small amounts of weed, etc.

I can only think of one time I've seen it done with a gun here. Older woman in a traffic crash, gun in her purse, expired LTCH. Illegal at the time, since LTCH was still required, but nobody was going to charge her. She didn't have anyone to give the gun to, and was going to the hospital, so it went to the property room as safe keeping. It *could* have went as evidence if anyone wanted to charge her, since if you arrest her then the city is on the hook for her medical bills. Nobody wants to pay medical bills from a crash over a misdemeanor arrest, so you just do a warrant later. I doubt that's the case here, but is illustrative of putting property in the property room with zero intent to charge.

Top Bottom