• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Ok, well to my understanding the WASR's arent the top notch AK's but they still work. Well mine doesn't... About 1 in every 4 rds, it will have a failure to feed. At first I thought it was due to the tight neck of the front of my taliban aquired alum mag, from my ranger buddy... so i widened it a little and polished it and the rounds seem to effortless eject from the mag now, where as before they would bet all rubbed up and scratched.
    Thought that would fix the problem... didnt!
    What seems to happen is after the first few shots, the bolt cycles back, then on the forward to pick up a round, somehow the bullet gets wedged on the edge of the feed ramp, leaving it 3/4 out of the mag, but damaging the tip of the bullet.
    Other than that, the gun is flawless. smooth ejection, good bolt cycle, its just that feed ramp, its done it with 3 different mags. :dunno:

if its any help... it was made in 1985

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    What sort of ammo are you using? Is this for just one brand, or consistently across many different brands? FMJ or hollow point can also make a good bit of difference I've been told.

Magazine caputred from Taliban? That's a pretty neat little item you've got right there. Is it factory made and used by them, or is it one of the local made magazines I've seen pictures of? I don't think it would cause your problem; I'm just curious.

Armored Saint

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Columbus, Indiana
    I also have the WASR 10/63 with feed issues also. I just picked it up about a month ago and have only shot HP through it. I've read articles that some WASRs do not like HPs and no not feed them well. Mine is in this category.

There are some youtube videos on this feed issue with the WASR. Check'em out.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    What sort of ammo are you using? Is this for just one brand, or consistently across many different brands? FMJ or hollow point can also make a good bit of difference I've been told.

Magazine caputred from Taliban? That's a pretty neat little item you've got right there. Is it factory made and used by them, or is it one of the local made magazines I've seen pictures of? I don't think it would cause your problem; I'm just curious.

I've used pretty much everything.... 122g tula fmj, 124g tula fmj, 122g wpa fmj, and 122g wpa hp, also some brass.

Yeah! its pretty cool. He's always bringing me cool stuff he grabs off his victims during post battle damage assessment. He gave me the lancer mag he used to kill the specific ak mag holder too, plus a ton of other retired optics and other accessories.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013

And idk if its factory made by them. I'll have to look at it when I'm home. I can def tell ya its been thru a toughhhh war lol. Its torn up pretty good lol

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I've used pretty much everything.... 122g tula fmj, 124g tula fmj, 122g wpa fmj, and 122g wpa hp, also some brass.

Yeah! its pretty cool. He's always bringing me cool stuff he grabs off his victims during post battle damage assessment. He gave me the lancer mag he used to kill the specific ak mag holder too, plus a ton of other retired optics and other accessories.
    Yeah, if its consistent across all mags and ammo I guess it would be a firearm problem just by process of elimination.

Sounds like you've got yourself a pretty good buddy right there! Not really sure what a lancer mag is though.

Last edited:

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Yeah, if its consistent across all mags and ammo I guess it would be a firearm problem just by process of elimination.

Sounds like you've got yourself a pretty good buddy right there! Not really sure what a lancer mag is though.

That's what I figured.
    Lancer is just a brand

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Sounds like a gummed up gas system not allowing the bolt to go all the way back. if you pull the bolt all the way back and let it slam home, how many rounds can you cycle by hand before you encounter the same malfunction you got when shooting?

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013

Sounds like a gummed up gas system not allowing the bolt to go all the way back. if you pull the bolt all the way back and let it slam home, how many rounds can you cycle by hand before you encounter the same malfunction you got when shooting?

I've cleaned the weapon from top to bottom. Completely disassembling and reassembling. Anything else if could be off the top of your head?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    crooked FSB..... but I wouldn't entertain that until all the other ideas are covered.

when you cleaned it, did you wirewheel the tip of the piston off? did you clean out the recess where the piston seats so it was 100 percent clean? and use solvent to clean out the two gas holes? they can gum up real easy. do the cycling by hand and if you cant repeat the malfunction it is probably undergassed. you can take an appropriately sized drill bit and clean out the gas holes (do not enlarge) and try some more, you can enlarge them ONE drill size as a last resort.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I didn't wire wheel the piston. I will do that tmw. And yes, cleaned piston recess and the gas holes. I will take it apart again tomorrow and try it again. Maybe I wasn't as thorough as I thought I was.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    do the hand cycle test..... that will tell you if the malfunctions are coming because the bolts not going all the way back therefore not having enough ass to fully chamber the following round. if that's the case it points towards the gas system. your bolt COULD be rubbing on the mags as well slowing it down, even though that's not as likely.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Ok so i think i figured out the issue.... It seems like my wasr has the notorious widened magwell. My Taliban confiscated mag and my thermold mags are the ones that jam... they also seem to have the most play/wobble when attached... literally what happens when i release the bolt is the round will be partly picked up, but then the bullet tip will literally be jammed up in the upper corner of the chamber, with the back half of the shell still in the mag. If I slowly cock back and release the tension of the bolt pressing on the case, it will proceed to pop out of the mag and i can chamber the round.
    Also noteworthy, it does not do this with my tapco mag. It seems to be a little wider and have a little less play. I'm wondering if tapco specifically makes mags for the WASR's considering the century wasr imports use tapco pistons and trigger assemblies.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    What i'm guessing is that with the skinnier mags (traditional metal mags and thermolds), due to the loose fit, it is causing the mag to sit low, therefore causing an improper pickup...?

Top Bottom