• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bcsatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2021
    Farmland
    Where is Bradis located? I've googled it and there isn't a viable website and multiple addresses come up. Obviously knowing the resurrected post is way off base is this place worth a look occasionally. Additionally I've never been to a Dunhams, they just like a Cabelas regarding stock and absurd pricing? Sorry, recently moved from Ohio.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Years ago I rememeber the first Aks, the Maadis from egypt. I tried hard to make green tracer AK rounds figuring we would make some good money from them, compounded barium nitrate and aluminum powder, but could never get a long enough trace.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    When demand for something increases and supply decreases, what happens?
    Ak Demand goes up>Regulations decrease supply of Ak>All Ak prices increase
    I think i said, it was a surplus rifle and surplus ran out which equals supple and demand. Romanian AK's sold for as low as 300 when I purchased my first. They may have been lower prior. This guy in 2008 is already at $450 for a Romanian. Russian AK's weren't import banned until 6 years after this thread was made. You could still buy other AK variants, just not Russian ak 47s. If you're look to point the finger though you cant leave out Trump who banned all imports of any weapon from Molot Firearms. The 2014 ban wasnt on every one of their weapons. Trumps 2017 ban was.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    I think i said, it was a surplus rifle and surplus ran out which equals supple and demand. Romanian AK's sold for as low as 300 when I purchased my first. They may have been lower prior. This guy in 2008 is already at $450 for a Romanian. Russian AK's weren't import banned until 6 years after this thread was made. You could still buy other AK variants, just not Russian ak 47s. If you're look to point the finger though you cant leave out Trump who banned all imports of any weapon from Molot Firearms. The 2014 ban wasnt on every one of their weapons. Trumps 2017 ban was.
    Definitely not letting Trump off. Orange man sucks too.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Definitely not letting Trump off. Orange man sucks too.
    And if we're being completely honest a lot of members here turned their nose up to WASR back then. It was the poor mans AK, and everyone here had Egyptian, Chinese, Russian or homemade ones. It was basically like showing up to a kimber meet with a cobra.

bcsatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2021
    Farmland
    And if we're being completely honest a lot of members here turned their nose up to WASR back then. It was the poor mans AK, and everyone here had Egyptian, Chinese, Russian or homemade ones. It was basically like showing up to a kimber meet with a cobra.
    Yup. I remember the poor man's AK comments were heard on the regular. I've shot Arsenals, Maadi's, Yugo's and a few others...the WASR's performance and reliability has served me well. Definitely glad I grabbed it when I did back in 2013.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Bought a WASR for my Dad years ago for $325. Picked up a SAR-1 that same year for $375. Bought a Yugo SKS from AIM for $89. Back then, everyone looked down their noses at them.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    There have been several WASR variants imported by Century Arms over the years - some better than others. The 10/63s built using surplus parts kits were generally pretty good, abeit a bit rough since they were used parts. The more commercial-quality WASR-10 had some ups and downs over the years, but some of the most common problems were canted sights and oversized magwells. The former is a relatively easy fix and the latter is the fault of idiot employees at Century, not Romania's Cugir factory.

Since about 2014, Cugir and Century overhauled their QC on the WASR-10 line, and what I call "modern" WASRs have been great rifles since then. The only thing that really sucks about them is the horrible balsa wood furniture Century chose to replace traditional surplus laminate with. No doubt yet another Century cost-cutting measure and probably also due to a lack of surplus stocks and handguards.

I think WASRs have earned a bit of an unfair stereotype of being a crummy "poor man's AK," when they're pretty much as good to go as an Arsenal or a VEPR that goes for two or three times the cost. It's the flip side reputation of pre-ban Chinese rifles possessing this aura of being the absolute best Kalashnikovs since sliced bread lines. If we're being totally honest, at the end of the day the poor shooter's WASR and the rich collector's Legend are a lot closer than a lot of AK guys want to admit.

Top Bottom