• Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I think you missed my point, he said "Some of the worst roads in the world"

Those types of roads are not condusive to being a "Million Miler"

BTW, I do think if you log more than 600 miles in one day you've just thrown up a big red flag to the DOT because you're not allowed to drive more than 10 hours a day (You may work 14 hours).

Not only that, Jeremy's time in the sandbox, (for which I salute you sir :patriot:) both take away time from racking up miles unless you've been on the road for a long time.

11 hours driving time now but subject to change;)

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    You guys will love this. See if you can make any sense of it.
    SUMMARY OF FMCSA’S PROPOSED CHANGES TO THE
    HOURS OF SERVICE REGULATIONS
    12/23/2010
    FMCSA has proposed a number of changes to the hours of service regulations as shown below.
    These changes will be published in the Federal Register on December 29th; FMCSA will then
    accept comment on them for 60 days. The agency is subsequently expected to publish a final
    rule by July 26th, 2011 (with an effective date several months later).
    Proposed changes:
    1. Maximum Driving Hours – the agency is accepting comments on whether to retain the
    current 11 hour driving time limit or, as the agency would prefer, to reduce maximum
    driving time to 10 hours.
    2. 14 Hour Day (now called Driving Window) – FMCSA proposes to retain the current 14
    hour window, but allow drivers to extend the window to 16 hours (subject to rest break
    requirements discussed below) twice in any seven calendar days. Unlike the current 16
    hour exemption, use of this provision would not be limited to those drivers who return to
    their normal work reporting locations daily. The current 16 hour exemption would be
    removed.
    3. 13 Hour On-Duty Time Limit – Drivers would be limited to 13 hours of on-duty time
    within the 14 or 16 hour window. Hence, drivers exercising the option to use the 16 hour
    window would be required to take a three hour rest break. Further, drivers must be
    released from duty following the 14th (or 16th) hour.
    4. Rest Breaks – Drivers would be required to take a rest break of at least 30 minutes
    within 7 hours of first coming on-duty (after being off-duty or returning from a period in
    the sleeper berth). Also, since drivers would be limited to 13 hours of on-duty time in a
    driving window (either 14 or 16 hours), a second break (or breaks) may be needed,
    depending on the duration of the first break.
    5. Restart –Though FMCSA proposes to maintain a minimum 34-hour restart provision,
    they also propose additional restrictions which, for most drivers, will make the use of the
    minimum period impossible.
    a. First, the restart period would need to include two nighttime periods (midnight to
    6 a.m.). To meet this requirement, most drivers will need to extend their restarts
    to 48 hours or longer.
    b. Drivers would only be permitted to use the restart provision once in any seven
    calendar days (not a new seven day period beginning with a restart, as the
    current rule allows).
    6. Off-Duty in A Parked CMV or In Passenger Seat – FMCSA proposes to allow drivers
    to record time spent in a parked CMV as off-duty time. Also, team drivers would be
    permitted to record up to 2 hours of time spent in the passenger seat of a CMV in
    operation as off-duty time, if it is just before or after an 8 hour sleeper berth period.
    7. Oilfield Exemption – Under the proposed rule, waiting time at an oil well or natural gas
    site would not count toward calculation of the 14 (or 16) hour window.
    8. Egregious Violations – FMCSA proposes that a driver who exceeds, and/or a motor
    carrier that allows a driver to exceed, the driving time limit by 3 hours or more be
    considered to have committed an egregious violation and be subject to the maximum
    civil penalties of $2,700 for drivers and $11,000 for motor carriers – for each offense.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.

I'll get screwed on the 10 hour driving and the two over nights on the 34 reset.
    Tough to do north Detriot trun in under 10 1/2 hours.
    Lots of times I come in after a friday am delivery start my 34 reset then leave 12 am sunday morning if I am going to have a busy week ahead.

Proposed rule changes from the FMCSA site:

Hours-of-Service (HOS) Proposed Rulemaking (December 2010) - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I'll get screwed on the 10 hour driving and the two over nights on the 34 reset.
    Tough to do north Detriot trun in under 10 1/2 hours.
    Lots of times I come in after a friday am delivery start my 34 reset then leave 12 am sunday morning if I am going to have a busy week ahead.

Proposed rule changes from the FMCSA site:

Hours-of-Service (HOS) Proposed Rulemaking (December 2010) - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
    I'll quit. I already want out and am considering going back to school, maybe HVAC? This will just be the proverbial straw that broke the camels back.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Will cut my revenue by 1/3 and less home time because it will make me not use the 34 reset and stay out .

As an OW/OP it very well could run me out of business.
    Don't you think that's the intent? They have been trying to run us out of business for a long time. The ATA wants cheaper mexican trucks/drivers for themselves (they are a group of shippers/manufacturers masquerading as a trucking advocacy group). Also, the 34 hr sort of becomes a 48+ hr....see the two overnight periods part? And the 13, 14, or 16 hr on duty part? WTF?

Necessary Evil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Two things I can tell everyone as a driver who can sometimes be a little towards the aggressive side when I'm in a hurry, and as someone who has dealt with trucks and truck acciedents for years:

Don't tailgate a truck, even when they are stopped and you pull up behind them, the simple rule is that if you can't see their mirrors, they can't see you

Don't drive like you are the speed gaurdian, the left lane is only for passing and you should be considerate to others and put your ego aside. If you're not in a hurry and someone else is, move over and you will never see each other again, how simple is that. And on two lane roads where it's legal to pass, someone goes to pass you, don't be an idiot and speed up, that's rude and dangerous and creates confrontations and accidents.

Keep in mind that a motorcycle can stop a lot quicker than a car, and a car can stop a lot quicker than a tractor/trailer. It's simple physics folks, don't weave in front of them, and don't stop short.

Be safe.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010

Read this a few months ago, along with their idea of governing all trucks at 68 being pushed by the big 62mph companies.

If it all happens I'll walk away, find something else and wait. If the EBRs, speed governors, 10 hr, new 34 restart, all goes into affect if will cause a huge driver shortage. I figure that if it all happens we will need another 2 trucks on the road for every 11 out there at a minimum and most likely 3 for every 11 currently out here. Traffic is bad now just wait.

I'd leave and wait to see what they want to start offering in driver pay. I figure it will most likely take a month or two before shortage hits hard then pay should jump through the roof compared to now. For the time away from home and all the bs out there I would love to see company drivers getting .70 cpm at a minimum. Least then we'd be making some real money at 2,000 miles a week.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Read this a few months ago, along with their idea of governing all trucks at 68 being pushed by the big 62mph companies.

If it all happens I'll walk away, find something else and wait. If the EBRs, speed governors, 10 hr, new 34 restart, all goes into affect if will cause a huge driver shortage. I figure that if it all happens we will need another 2 trucks on the road for every 11 out there at a minimum and most likely 3 for every 11 currently out here. Traffic is bad now just wait.

I'd leave and wait to see what they want to start offering in driver pay. I figure it will most likely take a month or two before shortage hits hard then pay should jump through the roof compared to now. For the time away from home and all the bs out there I would love to see company drivers getting .70 cpm at a minimum. Least then we'd be making some real money at 2,000 miles a week.
    It would be nice to be paid fairly, but it will never happen. They'll just bring in the mexicans. I agree that the 2,000 mile per week stuff is for the birds too, If I'm going to be away from home, I'd better be working the whole time, 4,000-4,200 a week average. There is no reason for a run to the west coast and back to take 2 weeks. It looks more and more like we are following canaduhs lead with the whole industry.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    It would be nice to be paid fairly, but it will never happen. They'll just bring in the mexicans. I agree that the 2,000 mile per week stuff is for the birds too, If I'm going to be away from home, I'd better be working the whole time, 4,000-4,200 a week average. There is no reason for a run to the west coast and back to take 2 weeks. It looks more and more like we are following canaduhs lead with the whole industry.

Yep I can do Indy to Cali and back in 6 days. The only problem I have with doing it is getting burned out, but it's the only way to make a real paycheck out here.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I can make it from 40 miles south of indy to Denver in 21 hours driving time driving a speed limited truck. 18 in a non limited truck.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Don't you think that's the intent? They have been trying to run us out of business for a long time. The ATA wants cheaper mexican trucks/drivers for themselves (they are a group of shippers/manufacturers masquerading as a trucking advocacy group). Also, the 34 hr sort of becomes a 48+ hr....see the two overnight periods part? And the 13, 14, or 16 hr on duty part? WTF?

Looks like they just want to hit the over the road trucks. Nothing in the new regs is in their favor.
    The big one is for drivers getting to declare parked time off duty. Sleeper truckers just go in the bunk ,non sleeper had to declare it as "on duty not driving" time.

NOTHING in the new regs are to my advantage.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I can make it from 40 miles south of indy to Denver in 21 hours driving time driving a speed limited truck. 18 in a non limited truck.

So that will add an extra 10hour rest period to make it in a nongoverned truck , if they go back to the 10 hour driving rule. :noway::noway:

I use to run Indy to Denver. Liked getting past KC and then I could really run. Use to park overnight at the Mcdonalds at Russell, Ks.

Top Bottom