• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Anyone have any knowledge/experience with water filtration bottles? how safe are they to rely on? can I simply fill them up via lake/stream or water puddle and not have to worry about getting sick?
    I went to a yard sale awhile back and they had several cases of water purifaction bottles for $5 a piece...I went back the next day and they had the remaining bottles priced at $1 a piece so I bought all 30 and also 3 filters for each bottle{they gave them to me free for buying the rest of the bottles}...so judging by what the package says each bottle and extra filters will give me 6 months of clean water..so If they are really that safe I should have a few years worth of clean water for the family if needed:dunno:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/McNett-Aquamira-Filtration-Technology-Traveling/dp/B000MQAI0O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1279381221&sr=1-7]Amazon.com: McNett Aquamira Clean Water Filter Bottle Filtration Technology for Travel Home Camping Hiking Traveling:…[/ame]
    the package says I can use it to drink stream water and what not but should I really trust it?

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I use a pump filter myself, but I have a couple of hiking buddies that use a bottle like that and they like them. Not sure if it is the same brand as yours, but the same type. From reading the information on them, I would trust them.

Sounds like you got a great deal.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    idealy you can drink from a stream if you have too. you never want to do it without boiling the water though if you can. at the very least i would drop water purification tabs in it and let it set for at least 30 minutes to 45 minutes and then drink it through the filter.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    idealy you can drink from a stream if you have too. you never want to do it without boiling the water though if you can. at the very least i would drop water purification tabs in it and let it set for at least 30 minutes to 45 minutes and then drink it through the filter.

+1.

Not all filtration bottles are created equal, and not all water is created equal. The worse the contamination the water has the less effective the bottles will be, and some are little more than activated charcoal and do less filtration than a Brita or Pur pitcher filter.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Thanks folks. I agree that boiling water is the best thing to do.
    I just couldnt pass up such a good deal:dunno:

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    No method is 100% which is why disinfection are referred to in log removal. 1-log is 90%, 2-log is 99%. Drinking water plants like mine are required to meet or exceed 99.99% or 4-log removal/inactivation of viruses and protozoa.

If you were in a situation where you had tap water but it was questionable, boiling would indeed be the best bet. In a bug out situation, boiling may not be possible.

Top Bottom