• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    My Bradford White started leaking exactly 3 months after the warranty. I replaced it myself with a Richmond, it's a pretty easy job even for a gas if you have any mechanical ability at all. So far it's outlasted the more expensive installed by a "pro" Bradford model.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    They don't sell directly to consumers because they believe in supporting the pro's and want the job done correctly. Bradford White | FAQs

It is gas. And I'm just not comfortable doing this myself. I know my abilities and limitations.

I bought an electric Bradford-White water heater at Lee Supply in Carmel last year.

I'm not a professional plumber, and i didn't represent myself as one.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    My Uncle found a Bradford White for $356 in Muncie. So we're going to get that and he'll help me install it on Sunday. I don't have a truck, so I gotta have him haul it here.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Uncle was supposed to be here at noon, so I turned off the water heater this morning to let it cool. Then about 10AM I went to drain it. I hooked up the hose to the drain faucet and the whole faucet broke right off when I had made about two twists with the hose (so I wasn't torqueing it down). Lots of calcium deposits around where it connects in to the heater. Water spewing everywhere in the garage. I get this sinking feeling that I didn't have the turn-off valve over the heater turned off. So I go turn off house's supply.

Eventually the heater drains; I got smart half way through and let it drain in to a bucket instead of the floor. The supply line seems stuck so I just cut the copper pipe. There was much cursing involved, but I got the stupid thing out and clean up some of the mess. I decide to turn the water back on to the house, and when I go check the cold supply line the water is gushing out. I guess that turn off valve wasn't turned off all the way. Back to shut off the house's supply.

Uncle calls me at 11:30. The grandson is having some legal problems my Uncle has to tend to. He tells me he's going to try to make it down here today still. Now that I have this old one out, I think I could install a new one. But I don't have a truck to go get the heater from him in Daleville. Hopefully he can get things tended to and I can take a shower tonight.

I have this sorta luck. This is why I wanted to pay someone ;) I worked the valve a few times and I think it's holding shut now. At least I have cold running water and don't have to pee in the yard.

Last edited:

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    onQ6bEN.jpg

And we're done! Need to reinsulate the ducting, but I'll get to that later this week. The drain valve was almost completely filled with calcium deposits. Uncle did pretty much all of the work, but I think I could do another if I had to; just need help lifting the thing on its stand.. No teflon tape used, use pipe sealant mixed with never seize compound.

Ray's will charge me $10 to haul the old one away. Not a bad deal.

Last edited:

dwgr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Avon, IN
    I am on my 4th water heater in 10 years. First one was a Bradford White. Plumber wanted over $300 to install a new one under warranty. Next two were Sears, never again. I ended buying an AO Smith from a supply house and I also installed an expansion tank. I hope this one lasts a few more years.

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    Lochinvar produces Bradford white and they(lochinvar)were just purchased by a.o. Smith.

So basically you looking at the Chevy, gmc, Buick, Cadillac water heaters with most residential units.

Gas powered tankless units are great but stay away from the electric units unless you love an outrageous electric bill.

Glad to see you got your water heater installed after all.:)

Interpon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Lochinvar produces Bradford white and they(lochinvar)were just purchased by a.o. Smith.

So basically you looking at the Chevy, gmc, Buick, Cadillac water heaters with most residential units.

Gas powered tankless units are great but stay away from the electric units unless you love an outrageous electric bill.

Glad to see you got your water heater installed after all.:)
    Yes indeed...ao owns most..including american water and thus te lowes..lie kenmore,,you never know who made it..best to look and seewhere made..

IfUDare01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Fishers
    I'll say this and you can take it for what it's worth but when I built my house I had an AO Smith installed and 3 years later the thing leaked water all over my house and caused over $18,000 in damage. They replaced it with another AO Smith and 2 years later it was leaking the same way but fortunately it didn't happen at 2 a.m. so I caught it in time before any major damage. I remember the plumber saying that AO Smith and Bradford White where some of the best and to stay far away from the units sold at Lowe's/Menards etc. Well after the second failure I decided to go to Lowe's and purchase one of those crummy Whirlpool units. That was about 5 years ago and I haven't had one single problem yet and actually I think it heats the water better. I think I paid about $150 for the Whirlpool which was alot cheaper. Oh and I've always had a water softner hooked up and drained the water heater a couple time a year as advised so there was no excuse for those Smith's to leak. Poor craftsmanship in my opinion. I think plumbers recommend what they sell so that they can charge you inflated prices for crappy products. :twocents:

I replaced my Bradford with a Whirlpool 6 months ago and it works great. I think it has a lot to do with how it is handled and transported. Most of these heaters are made by American Water Heater Company.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Let me set the record straight, I do not do this kind of work myself. ...snip

Even the pros have to do it a first time. Easy to check for leaks and depending on the setup you are only talking about one gas connection and 2 water connections

? ? ?

Did you forget about the vent? Pop-Off piping? Combustion Air requirements (yeah, it should already be there... but not always).

There are reasons to have a professional do this type of work. Not everyone is familair with Mechanical Codes. You're dealing with a combustionable fuel, a pressurized vessel, scolding hot water, CO and a chance to contaminate drinking water. None of these should be taken lightly.

To the OP... Bradford White is my first choice, with AO Smith inline next.

I see you got the BW... however, you don't want to use never seize on your potable water connections. Pretty sure it's not certified for potable water... you can always check the can label.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I thought about that too, till I did the research. It was way too expensive and way to complicated to install by me. I don't think my wife and I would get the kind of returns and comfort from it.

I ended up buying a 30 year Richmond gas model after my old one burst on Xmas eve.

OK, OK, I had to dig this up. I did actually by a 30 year model, didn't I? Or was I completely nutty?

I went to buy a new one (new house) to replace a six year model (cheapskates) that lasted twelve years... I noticed that twelve years are the top - nothing longer. Did I imagine that I got a 30 year model? Did something change?

Same brand, Richmond, same store, Menards... but this one has a power damper.

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    there are a couple models that are warrantied for "lifetime" but don't think I ever seen a 30 year warranty on a water heater.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    there are a couple models that are warrantied for "lifetime" but don't think I ever seen a 30 year warranty on a water heater.

I've never seen 30 years either.

...but anecdotally, My Mom and Dad moved into their house in 1962. At about the time they moved in, My Dad traded a refrigerator for a water heater. That water heater, used when installed in '62, is still the water heater they use. Granted, it's electric, which stresses the water heater less with less abrupt temp. changes...but 50+ years.

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Yep, they used to know how to make things. I know of several very old water heaters, that are still just setting there perking away. I have told a few homeowners no need to replace it. The new replacement unit, will most likely fail, before this one dies.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    They do have teflon tape for water connections, and for natural gas fittings(different from the white regular Teflon tape). For gas we always used pipe dope, or later Slic Tite which has Teflon also. Little bit was plenty, don't need to glop it on. I also wiped off excess so soaping up for leak detection was easy to see.

Not a tough job to change one if you have a little common sense, and a buddy to get the old one out of the house.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've never seen 30 years either.

...but anecdotally, My Mom and Dad moved into their house in 1962. At about the time they moved in, My Dad traded a refrigerator for a water heater. That water heater, used when installed in '62, is still the water heater they use. Granted, it's electric, which stresses the water heater less with less abrupt temp. changes...but 50+ years.

It's my understanding that water heaters fail due to corrosion that begins or accelerates once the anode has been consumed. Is it possible your folks have a water softener or something that would condition the water to minimize that anode wear and scale build up in the bottom?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's my understanding that water heaters fail due to corrosion that begins or accelerates once the anode has been consumed. Is it possible your folks have a water softener or something that would condition the water to minimize that anode wear and scale build up in the bottom?

The well water is of good quality, but they do have a water softner. At least they have since the late '70s.

Top Bottom