• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm getting ready to purchase and install a water softener and I wondered if any of you had any advice.

It will be installed in Fishers and fed off of the city water supply. 2 people now in this small ranch home, could be 3 after a few years. :)

I've tested the water hardness (about 20 grains per gallon (Gpg))and am looking at the Whirlpool WHES30 from Lowe's.

Any advice on this or any Whirlpool unit? Is it worth it to go with a Kinetico which is going to cost alot more?

I have lots of Lowe's giftcards I want to use.

Thanks,

FG12351

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Personally - I don't think the cost of Kinetico offsets the benefit. Here's a tip from personal experience. I had to fix a water leak in my crawl space at 2 in the morning because of the junk PEX tubing that was used. Make them use copper.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Whatever you do, don't fall into the EasyWater bogus crap.

How much more is the Kinetico?

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Not sure on the price difference. I am going to swing by the Kinetico store after work and see what they recommend and what the cost would be.

My stepdad is going to help me install it as he master of all DIY and knows how to sweat pipe and all I know how to sweat is bullets. :ar15:

A couple of people I work with swear by the EasyWater/ScaleBlaster technology. Sounds like hocus pocus to me. Salt is proven so that's what I'm going with.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Kludge,

I was at the Danville Conservation Club on Saturday for a family reunion, nice place. Too bad it was pouring down rain or I would have walked around to enjoy it!

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    We have the IQ Series that we got from Ideal Water. It is fabulous but a little expensive. We bought it when we first moved in in 2002. We have had no problem with it. It does need to be maintained. Suppose to be yearly but for us it's more like every 2 years or so.

IdealWater::Index

It is a treatment for the whole house.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    The little whirlpool units aren't bad. I think I have installed 15 or 20 for homeowners. Anything made by Cole and Massey are very nice. Almost zero problems out of the many I have installed.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What I did was schedule an in home consultation with all the softener service guys. One hour apart. And told them at the end of X hours I would be making a decision to buy.

half-way in the Culligan man said he wanted my business and dropped to a price that no one could beat. It's been here and working ever since.

Oh, schedule this for about 4 days before the end of the month. Sales quotas you know.

SWAMPMASTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Logantucky
    After 20 years and more than a few Water softners, I broke down and bought a Kinetico wish I would have done it years ago and the salt saving does add up I use about 10 bags of salt a year

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm going to go with a Whirlpool WHES40 from Lowe's. The Kinetico's are nice but pricey. About 5 times what I'm going to pay for this (I have giftcards that are going to pay for alot of it). We only plan on being in this house for 3-5 years and so I think a Whirlpool will do for now and then when we upgrade homes I will look at a Kinetico if it doesn't have an existing system. Thanks for all the input though!!!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Regardless of the brand you get, go to the extra trouble of having a whole house water filter installed in-line BEFORE the softner (upstream).
    I don't know what your municipality provides, but MOST brands of water conditioners can have their service life greatly increased by cleaning up the INCOMING water.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Whirlpool and Kenmore are basically the same system. And it's a proprietary system. Almost no one will work on it, and no one carries parts for it to repair yourself. I have found there are mostly two systems out there. The systems like the Kinetico and Culligan ones and then the Whirlpool one. I have a WHES30 I bought from Lowes about five years ago, and now I'm having trouble with it and no one wants to work on it. For what it will cost me to get it fixed, I can buy a brand new one, and swap it out.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Whirlpool and Kenmore are basically the same system. And it's a proprietary system. Almost no one will work on it, and no one carries parts for it to repair yourself. I have found there are mostly two systems out there. The systems like the Kinetico and Culligan ones and then the Whirlpool one. I have a WHES30 I bought from Lowes about five years ago, and now I'm having trouble with it and no one wants to work on it. For what it will cost me to get it fixed, I can buy a brand new one, and swap it out.

I have never had problems getting parts for Sears appliances. I was even able to get a gas regulator for a 20 year old stove.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Has anyone rented a system? I too am looking as my Kinetico leaks a bit and they told me they could not guarantee that they could repair it if the took it apart. (It is quite old) So, I am anticipating needing to replace it and don't want to spring for a new Kinetico.... I am thinking that if I rented I would have a good softner in the house but avoid the cost of replacement since I am not planning to stay in this house for a lot of years.

Buckaroo

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Regardless of the brand you get, go to the extra trouble of having a whole house water filter installed in-line BEFORE the softner (upstream).
    I don't know what your municipality provides, but MOST brands of water conditioners can have their service life greatly increased by cleaning up the INCOMING water.
    This is especially true if you are using well water. For city water, the chlorine will damage the resin bed.

YJBrian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Outside the Loop
    I purchased a softener from Ohio Pure Water Co. (there are several other companies o nthe net as well). I got the 48000 Grain capacity with an electronic Fleck control valve. These valves are common and can be worked on by anyone. It has separate resin/brine tanks, so it is not as compact as the all in one units if space is a concern.

Came UPS, had to load the resin into the tank, assemble everything before installing, but it was quite easy. Getting the plumbing to look decent was the hard part.

I was a bit hesitant ordering something like this over the net, but all has been well for about 2 years now.

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    Don't get the "All-In-One" units

I replaced mine several years ago with a Culligan. Anyway, a friend of mine who installs softners for a living warned me on the All-In-One cheapies. He said the salt from the tank ate up the parts in the control head therefor cutting its life span by years. Good luck.

Top Bottom