• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    Location for your shallow well, or even putting one down at all might be a consideration of your location.

In my case, I live at a lake which has had a cottage on it, in one location, since 1890. The well was always in one location out side the house, and finally in about 1945 had an addition of a closed porch built around it.

The big thing about location in my case is the well was always (I Think) on the lake side of the property, with the outhouse, septic system and leach bed going the opposite way on the other side of the house.

This became important when we built the retirement home here three years ago, so we didn't drill a well down through an old septic tank or leach bed.

Investigate before you do anything regarding safe water wells.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Many studies have been done in and around Lawrence county concerning underground water and springs. To do these a lot of times they put dye in the water.

A lot of land owners are very reluctant to allow you to put anything down their well, including dye no matter what these fancy "government study people" promise. They rarely have any problem with some one flushing dye down their toilet thought. At least they have no problem with it until it shows back up in their drinking water.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Great things to think about.

Understanding the natural hydraulics of underground aquifers and open bodies of water are something I'm not an expert on.

Through observation of surrounding properties only helps a little.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    well location and outhouse location

Who-ever placed those in 1890 put them in bass-ackwards. Your well is downstream of your septic. You state the your house is in the middle with the well on the side toward the lake, which must mean downhill, running to the lake. You'd better test your well-water. Pat

Location for your shallow well, or even putting one down at all might be a consideration of your location.

In my case, I live at a lake which has had a cottage on it, in one location, since 1890. The well was always in one location out side the house, and finally in about 1945 had an addition of a closed porch built around it.

The big thing about location in my case is the well was always (I Think) on the lake side of the property, with the outhouse, septic system and leach bed going the opposite way on the other side of the house.

This became important when we built the retirement home here three years ago, so we didn't drill a well down through an old septic tank or leach bed.

Investigate before you do anything regarding safe water wells.

Top Bottom