Wayne LaPierre...Not a good representative.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    msnbc.com Video Player

Every time I see this man speak, he fails to make key points which I feel would win the discussion, easily.

The interviewer brought up States' Rights. He failed to state that Citizens' Rights, as enumerated by the Constitution of the United States of America, trump States' Rights.

How much more clearly can the argument be presented? Instead, he allowed his interviewer to steer him into talking about police chief politics...

One can easily draw a parallel by pointing out that the States may not infringe upon our freedom of speech just because police chiefs think it will make their jobs easier.

Does anyone know how to cancel an NRA membership? I think I'll be joining GOoA instead.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. It just seems that he stumbles through these interviews & falls into a hole every time. It feels like I'm in a bizarro universe & Chevy Chase, from the Vacation movies, is now the head of the NRA.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Every time I see this man speak, he fails to make key points which I feel would win the discussion, easily.

Yep. IMO, he is the embodiment of the NRA's "compromise" mentality.

Does anyone know how to cancel an NRA membership?

Just don't renew it? :dunno:

I think I'll be joining GOoA instead.

Join all the groups you want (I belong to the NRA, GOA and SAF), but for better or worse, the NRA is the public face for our side in the fight to secure and defend the RKBA, at least as far as the mainstream media are concerned. The other groups may have more pointed statements and coherent representatives, but they just don't get the airtime or have the pull in Washington that the NRA does.

You might do more good to keep your NRA membership active but write a letter to Mr. LaPierre or the president telling them exactly how you feel, then act on those feelings by voting for NRA board members who better represent you/us, rather than just taking your marbles and going home.

My :twocents:

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I feel about this... the same way I feel about the Republican Party. Rather than chalk it up as a total loss, I'm of the mindset that it is better to stick around and vote different people into leadership, rather than vote Independent.

On the same analogy, the Republicans that voted for Obama I will never understand. Thats like saying you are sick of Wayne LaPierre of the NRA, so you decided to join the Brady Campaign instead.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Thats like saying you are sick of Wayne LaPierre of the NRA, so you decided to join the Brady Campaign instead.

:lol2:

Although I'm a member I don't follow the NRA dealings as much as I should. However, the times I've seen LaPierre on TV interviews the OP is correct-- he fails to really DRIVE home the point.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Yeah, every interview, I am like "Wayne, bring up this point or this point!" but he fails to sometimes. The interviewer at MSNBC wasn't exactly neutral if you ask me. But, after the CNN fiasco with the tea parties, I don't hold much stock in anything but FOX news...

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    I tend to give the benefit of the doubt. When people have to deal with a hostile media there may be things that they say or don't say with an eye towards the soundbite engineering that the press loves so well....

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Join all the groups you want (I belong to the NRA, GOA and SAF), but for better or worse, the NRA is the public face for our side in the fight to secure and defend the RKBA, at least as far as the mainstream media are concerned. The other groups may have more pointed statements and coherent representatives, but they just don't get the airtime or have the pull in Washington that the NRA does.

You might do more good to keep your NRA membership active but write a letter to Mr. LaPierre or the president telling them exactly how you feel, then act on those feelings by voting for NRA board members who better represent you/us, rather than just taking your marbles and going home.

My :twocents:

Repped for being well said. I keep my NRA membership alive because they do more good than harm where it counts. I don't mind the media interviews because, by God, I'd be scared :poop:less to speak in front of a live tv audience. I do hate what they did to NO gun owners after Katrina though.

Yeah, every interview, I am like "Wayne, bring up this point or this point!" but he fails to sometimes. The interviewer at MSNBC wasn't exactly neutral if you ask me. But, after the CNN fiasco with the tea parties, I don't hold much stock in anything but FOX news...

I understand that feeling, but Fox gets it wrong a lot too. I don't trust none of them. Take the facts then do the research.

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt. When people have to deal with a hostile media there may be things that they say or don't say with an eye towards the soundbite engineering that the press loves so well....

The biggest thing about media I hate is the soundbite. If you wanna report what a guy or gal says, show the whole point. "I hate the black ones." Sounds bad, right? Well, what I really was saying was... "I love jelly beans, but I hate the black ones." This is why I hate media.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There's a difference between "Aww gosh, he tried his best" & "Wow, well executed, sir".

The prior is great for local football teams. The latter is what I prefer with regard to protection of my fundamental rights....

I'm not saying Wayne is a terrible person, just that he's not a particularly strategic 2A spokesman.

And yeah, the modern mass-media is, collectively, a traitor.

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    NRA Leadership!

880-from-my-cold-dead-hands.jpg

Cold Dead Hands!

La Pierre thinks he needs to negotiate...

Hey, take a hike. There is no negotiating away my God given rights.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I understand that feeling, but Fox gets it wrong a lot too. I don't trust none of them. Take the facts then do the research.

Very true, and I do check the facts. It's just that FOX is the only national news I can listen to without getting upset. :)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    There's a difference between "Aww gosh, he tried his best" & "Wow, well executed, sir".

The prior is great for local football teams. The latter is what I prefer with regard to protection of my fundamental rights....

I'm not saying Wayne is a terrible person, just that he's not a particularly strategic 2A spokesman.

And yeah, the modern mass-media is, collectively, a traitor.

I can agree with that. They need a better person in front of that camera and a more focused, open thinker in the driver's seat.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Personally, I think he did a good job in the interview. I've spent more than 15 years dealing with the media and helping train others to do it, and I'm not sure what all the hubbub is about. I think he did a good job putting a positive spin on the outcome of the vote and made it clear that this was only the start. He also did a good job telling the story of the rapid growth in states allowing concealed in the past years.

Remember, he's not necessarily speaking to you and I -- we already support 2A and carry rights, etc. He's speaking the the millions of folks who don't really have an opinion on the issue or those who don't see the importance of carry reciprocity.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Very true, and I do check the facts. It's just that FOX is the only national news I can listen to without getting upset. :)

I only watch Fox in the cafeteria at work during breakfast. And whenever I watch, they are thoroughly incompetent in protecting our freedoms.

They omit plenty too. They're just as bad as the rest of the media. They cater and dumb down to the average ignorant TV watcher too.

Take the blinders off and think about what they broadcast. You cannot help but see how bad they really are.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Personally, I think he did a good job in the interview. I've spent more than 15 years dealing with the media and helping train others to do it, and I'm not sure what all the hubbub is about. I think he did a good job putting a positive spin on the outcome of the vote and made it clear that this was only the start. He also did a good job telling the story of the rapid growth in states allowing concealed in the past years.

Remember, he's not necessarily speaking to you and I -- we already support 2A and carry rights, etc. He's speaking the the millions of folks who don't really have an opinion on the issue or those who don't see the importance of carry reciprocity.

I second that. There is a large population of people that already think the NRA is a fringe group that is out of touch with the average American. It's a PR issue and I think Wayne does a good job. You have to get the message out to the moderate thinkers and get them on our side. You don't do that by hootin' and hollerin'. IMO the NRA has done more for our 2A rights than any other organization.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom