• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDI

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Plainfield
    On March 18, 2010, Gov. Mitch Daniels signed P.L. 90-2010 into law, allowing workers to keep lawfully possessed firearms and ammunition in their locked vehicles in trunks, glove compartments or out of plain sight while parked on company property.

It's the law, and sometimes businesses think they are above the law, and sometimes they are just ignorant of the law. Copy the law, and take it to them.

Also, remember, if you follow the law:
    from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle. they will never know that you have it! And it will be there when you need it!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    On March 18, 2010, Gov. Mitch Daniels signed P.L. 90-2010 into law, allowing workers to keep lawfully possessed firearms and ammunition in their locked vehicles in trunks, glove compartments or out of plain sight while parked on company property.

It's the law, and sometimes businesses think they are above the law, and sometimes they are just ignorant of the law. Copy the law, and take it to them.

Also, remember, if you follow the law:
    from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle. they will never know that you have it! And it will be there when you need it!

I don't think anyone should bring this up with their employer. It puts you down as one of the people who want to store guns in the car in their lot. They can just fire you for something else. You're better off holding this until such time as you actually got fired and had that be the stated reason, then take it up with your attorney.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I don't think anyone should bring this up with their employer. It puts you down as one of the people who want to store guns in the car in their lot. They can just fire you for something else. You're better off holding this until such time as you actually got fired and had that be the stated reason, then take it up with your attorney.

:+1: :whistle:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Fact notwithstanding that an employer can fire an employee for pretty much any reason, if the employer has clearly communicated that they do not intent to honor this law, that should make resolution after the fact easier, much in the same way that it is not advisable to post one's intent to engage in vigilante justice on an internet forum including but not limited to INGO.

I will also concur with others who advise against raising the issue preemptively. The easiest fight is the one you avoid and, as previously mentioned, if you act preemptively, it gives them an opportunity to build a case against you in your file which will make it more difficult to establish that the gun was in fact the reason for termination.

kingpin75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    greencastle
    The company I work for has that rule. They say we are subject to searches at any time. I was going to bring it up at orientation but thought I better not.

XDI

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Plainfield
    Fully Agree! Don't bring it up INITIALLY! However, once the topic comes up, you can always raise the question "Didn't Gov. Daniels sign a law about that? I will check and get back to you. I would have for XXXXXX (<<-- Insert name of great company here) to be in violation of a law. I'll check and let you know what I find out."

Then get back the next day with the info and be the hero saving the company thousands of dollars in fines and court costs! (okay, may be that is over the top) But, there is a way to bring this up successfully!

I still say, keep it concealed, and then it is there when/if you need it!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If it was my employer, I would not say a thing. If asked, I would tell them I had no knowledge of that law because I don't see any need to take guns to work.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Just don't take it to work with you. Regardless whether you do or not though, they can tell you to work in a lightning storm with power tools, if your not cozy with it, go home and don't come back.

Wrong answer. You have every right to be prepared to defend yourself within the law. The law says you can have in your vehicle, then keep it there. Don't you dare cave and go unarmed.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Funny how that works around here. This place is knee deep in people who think they don't have to obey laws with which they don't agree. Maybe that's a one way street!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Funny how that works around here. This place is knee deep in people who think they don't have to obey laws with which they don't agree. Maybe that's a one way street!

I believe you are confused here. It is Chrysler's corporate policy that is against the law. I haven't seen anyone recommend any illegal acts in this thread.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    The Sam's Club/Wal-Mart distribution center in Greenfield has a "No Firearms Permitted" at each entrance of their parking lots right on the side of the road. I just laugh every time I drive by, and wonder how many people that work there ignore or obey those signs.

Thrown Hammer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2013
    Northern
    Our policy here was updated to reflect the law. Although I never bring mine to work, because I drive a jeep with no top or doors, and the plastic glove box could be pried open with a popsicle stick... :):

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    As far as I know, it is still perfectly legal to have a sign stating a no firearms policy at your business, you just can't be fired for it legally. Nothing illegal about the sign. I suppose the companies believe many employees aren't aware of their legal rights under the new law, and they're probably right.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Mail a copy of the IC to HR anonymously?

I'm lucky to work for a pro 2A company. After that law was passed our owner went out of his way to not only amend the employee handbook to match the statute, but sent out an email to all employees in the state calling it to our attention.

To this day I wonder which C-Level carries and wanted to make sure he did some CYA. ;)

Top Bottom