• ...and so much more!
  • squish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    South Bend area
    1025502_10200223098480325_575985610_o.jpg

....as seen on Ft. Knox today. Yes folks it's an American Flag used as a SEAT COVER! Not a blanket or something from Auto Zone, but a REAL American Flag. Some things I just can't let go. The conversation went like this.......

SSG Squish: Excuse ...me SPC. Do you know what the Flag Code says about the display of the American Flag? Does it say anything about using it as a seat cover?

SPC Snuffy: No Sergeant.

SSG Squish: Do you know that what you're doing is a severe sign of disrespect to the Flag?

SSG Squish: After we go talk to your NCOIC what I want from you in a paper in your own words about the Flag Code. This will be at least 1000 words and turned into me by C. O. B.

SPC Snuffy: Yes Sergeant.

Have we truly failed as leaders and Americans?

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Take it as yet another failing of our public education system. However, the fact that he wanted to display the flag is almost certainly a sign of strong patriotism. Ignorance can be cured and it sounds like you've pointed him in the right direction.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Good ole 1000 word essays, I miss those days.

As to the subject, it is freedom of speech to destroy a flag. He was not intending disrespect, more so I believe he was displaying it as a symbol of pride. Was he wrong? Yes. Does he deserve the essay? NO! His NCOIC deserves that privelige, I am sure his first line has seen it during car inspections numerous times and didn't realize his troop was wrong.

While his first line is at it, have him polish an end connector for you. I still have a few polished ones around my house.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    There I was!

I hate war stories especially ones that begin,"There I was....."! However back in MY day he would have been so disabled from doing push-ups he would need to dictate the paper to a scribe as there is no way he would have the strength left to hold a pen much less write a thousand word essay. :rolleyes: :D

PS: It really was a different Army forty years ago.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Hey, at least you could approach him and order him to write a paper.

Imagine how that would go down at your local Wal-Mart parking lot if you're just Joe Patriot approaching a local kid with the same concerns for disrespecting the flag ...

I can't even imagine the outpouring of venom that would likely result, along with hand gestures and suggestions about what you can do to yourself.

Sad. :(

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Imagine how that would go down at your local Wal-Mart parking lot if you're just Joe Patriot approaching a local kid with the same concerns for disrespecting the flag ...

I can't even imagine the outpouring of venom that would likely result, along with hand gestures and suggestions about what you can do to yourself.

Rank means nothing in a Walmart parking lot.

squish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    South Bend area
    Had it been a civilian.....I would have let it go since I protect his right to do disrespectful stuff like this. Now since it was a Soldier it's game on, and yes his NCOIC got a good earful as well.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

In that case it would have been a Mexican flag. No harm done

Oh how I miss the military!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I was taught by my father and in school to respect the flag and my elders. I am passing this on to my son and daughter. People don't seem to do this anymore. Hating and disrespecting your country seems to be the in thing. I hate some of the things my country does. But over all I love my country! This doesn't seem to be the way the younger feel. At least my kids know better.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    As a member of the armed forces, the soldier was displaying ignorance. Good NCO's help educate soldiers. IMHO, you are a good NCO.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    1025502_10200223098480325_575985610_o.jpg

....as seen on Ft. Knox today. Yes folks it's an American Flag used as a SEAT COVER! Not a blanket or something from Auto Zone, but a REAL American Flag. Some things I just can't let go. The conversation went like this.......

SSG Squish: Excuse ...me SPC. Do you know what the Flag Code says about the display of the American Flag? Does it say anything about using it as a seat cover?

SSG Squish: Do you know that what you're doing is a severe sign of disrespect to the Flag?

SSG Squish: After we go talk to your NCOIC what I want from you in a paper in your own words about the Flag Code. This will be at least 1000 words and turned into me by C. O. B.

SPC Snuffy: Yes Sergeant.

Have we truly failed as leaders and Americans?

Do you also call out folks that are wearing the flag on hats, t-shirts, man panties, and using flag napkins? If they're not stylized, they're considered real flags as well. Better run down to the local VFW and have them write you some papers because the majority of their stuff that I've seen has a flag on it and wearing the flag outside of a uniform is against the flag code.

Top Bottom