• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010

We just got back from St. Louis and attended the NRAconvention. We walked the floor on Friday and drove home on Saturday. It isvery cool to be among our people. The convention center is huge and just abouteverybody you can think of was there. Mitt Romney was there and gave a talkaround two o'clock, Friday. It wasmoderately well received; the local Fox channel news interviewed severalattendees they all pretty much said the same thing that they did not thinkRomney was conservative enough, but that he is better than what we have. Romneyapparently did walk the floor for a while after the speech.

We talked to the people at Springfield arms very nice, thenew super compact single stack 45 carry pistol looks very interesting, we alsotalked to Winchester and federal. Foryou shot gunners I asked the federal people if they were gonna quit making thefederal paper shot shell, and they said absolutely not they lovemaking those andwill continue to do so.

I noticed on the website that in two years the national NRAconvention will be held here in Indianapolis. That will be very cool. It wasalso interesting that the Cardinals had their home opener on Friday against theCubs. They lost, all the locals were very bummed out, the game was rain delayed. Those are some of the most amazing fansI've ever seen they sat out there all day in the rain.

If you have never been to a convention I would highlyrecommend you go when the convention is here two years.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    We talked to the people at Springfield arms very nice, thenew super compact single stack 45 carry pistol looks very interesting, we alsotalked to Winchester and federal. Foryou shot gunners I asked the federal people if they were gonna quit making thefederal paper shot shell, and they said absolutely not they lovemaking those andwill continue to do so.
    Good news!
    I reload Federal paper. Looking for some new shells just don't know who sells them anymore. I imagine IGC has them.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've been to three or four. My wife and I went to the dinner in Dallas many years ago and got to see Charlton Heston. We also enjoyed the entertainment. A buddy and I volunteered at the NRA store, when the annual meeting was in Louisville. It was hard work, but we enjoyed seeing everyone. I felt like the NRA folks treated us volunteers very well and were appreciative.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Got back early this morning. Met a lot of great people and took a few pictures as well. Had a great time and will definitely go again in two years.

Randrayla

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Is this something that is open to any member of the NRA or do you have to be invited or something? I am a member but I never really read through all of the junk they constantly mail me.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Is this something that is open to any member of the NRA or do you have to be invited or something? I am a member but I never really read through all of the junk they constantly mail me.
    It's usually well-publicized in the official NRA magazines. It's also featured on their website.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My father and I hit the show as we usually do. We arrived in Brentwood on Thursday night and after reading the Wall Street Journal we went to dinner and got ready for him to hit the show and I to hit the Firearms Law seminar.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwNDEyLTAwMDkwLmpwZw-1.jpg

Friday morning, we got up early, had breakfast at the hotel and then my dad hit the show:

utf-8BU3QuIExvdWlzLTIwMTIwNDEzLTAwMDkyLmpwZw.jpg

While my dad got to drool over guns I got to listen to various speakers on various topics--federal case law post-McDonald, range protection, Brady denials, the conspiracy behind Dred Scott and Miller. Stephen Halbrook, noted attorney and author, was there speaking on the Fourteenth Amendment and the RKBA.

utf-8BU3QuIExvdWlzLTIwMTIwNDEzLTAwMDk0LmpwZw.jpg

After a long day sitting in the seminar, we had wood fired pizza and went to bed early so we could hit the show.

Took the light rail into St. Louis and could not miss the signs.

Coming back Friday night I found out why guns are prohibited on the St. Louis light rail--for the protection of Cardinals fans. Being poked, stepped on and pushed by fat, smelly (beer and brats and Axe body spray) drunks was not fun but the smell did remind me of an Indy1500 show.

utf-8BU3QuIExvdWlzLTIwMTIwNDEzLTAwMDk1LmpwZw.jpg

Early Saturday before the show I upgraded my NRA membership and then went book shopping at the NRA store (presents for nephews). We then talked to another father-son team from Huntington who I advised about the show in Indy and they were most enthused. Saturday was going to be very busy we could tell.:D

My dad awaits the opening of the Exhibit Hall in a sea of gun nuts.

utf-8BU3QuIExvdWlzLTIwMTIwNDE0LTAwMDk2LmpwZw.jpg

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    At the show I learned a lot. Taking advantage of the free opportunity to depose some of the big wigs of the gun world, I played 20 questions at almost every booth while my dad looked on in wry amusement.

Highlights:

1. Ran into Hoosier gun writer Frank James.

2. Got the story behind the ARX from Berretta.

3. Got to meet and talk to Les Baer. Great guy, cannot believe he allowed himself time out of the shop. Oh, BTW, Les is dropping his bolt action rifles. He will fill orders but other than about a dozen 6.5x.284s there will be no more. The bolt guns were sucking time and he is too busy with ARs and 1911s.

4. Talked at length with Amir at Ruger about the new 22/45 Lite. And talked to the Midwest sales rep about business and getting a different stock for a nephew gun but Bass Pro bigwigs showed up and I was dropped like a hot rock.:D

5. Met Dino of Majestic Arms and talked to him about guns and living in NYC.

If you have not been to an NRA meeting, then grab some family and friends and meet me in Houston.:)

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Were you allowed to carry while there?

Yes, with the exception of the Leadership Forum conference, and the Freedom Experience, due to the presence of Presidential candidates on Friday eve. but purely political in Saturday's case.

Technically you were NOT allowed to carry in the America Center. Here's an image that appeared on the NRA's website before the show. Don't know if it's still there.

6907453260_80089f0f08_z.jpg

Here's a post that was posted a few days before the show stating such:

Having said that, I actually called the St. Louis Metropolitan Police department and asked them if the "no carrying" rule also applied to properly licensed NRA members. It took 2 phone calls and about 10 transfers before I got to the Chief's secretary. She put me on hold for about 5 minutes and asked him directly. The answer was "no carrying".

I stashed my piece in the trunk before going in the hear Romney and the others. Before going through the scanners, I suddenly realized I still had my Kershaw in my pocket. I walked the two blocks back to the car to stash it, only to find out once I got to the scanners that they were actually bagging knives, and returning them to the owners after the speeches.

I lost a decent little knife a few years ago when getting into a place to photograph Sarah Palin. Security was NOT returning knives to their owners at that particular location and I didn't want to walk all the way back to the car to stash.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I did not try to go through the magnatometers. I did not see any signs at all regarding carry in the exhibit area.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I did not try to go through the magnatometers. I did not see any signs at all regarding carry in the exhibit area.

Come to think of it...I seen nobody carrying anything.....except for one guy carrying an umbrella in his backpack that looked like a sword...heh heh.

Security looked like they were carrying Sigs....but all I could really see were the magazine plates.

mosinfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I have been to several conventions and hated to miss this years.... but it is great to see that it will be in Indy in 2014. When the convention was in Louisville Larry Potterfield(Midway USA) had a longer line than R. Lee Ermy. lol

Top Bottom