• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If they have their way we'll all be eating Government Food Supplement Number 12 from a tube. These politicians just can't find it in their hearts to leave people the hell alone. And they can't seem to wrap their heads around the idea that their stupid recommended diets have got us to the point we're at. Decades of meddling with kids lunches at schools have been a factor in making kids fat. Now, if Mr. Vilesack gets his way they'll spread their plans to the rest of us.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...ate-appropriate-transition-what-americans-eat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    If they have their way we'll all be eating Government Food Supplement Number 12 from a tube. These politicians just can't find it in their hearts to leave people the hell alone. And they can't seem to wrap their heads around the idea that their stupid recommended diets have got us to the point we're at. Decades of meddling with kids lunches at schools have been a factor in making kids fat. Now, if Mr. Vilesack gets his way they'll spread their plans to the rest of us.

USDA Secretary: We Must

I think its more along the lines of, decades of people gradually living more and more on the couch and not going out and using any physical exertion is whats gotten us here. Not saying the gov hasnt been hurting the trend, but i dont think we can blame them on people being fat

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Another solid reason why we must put aside our differences and vote for whoever runs against Obama. Anything less guarantees four more years of this. Anyone up for that?

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    One of the few good things I can say about my school district is that they contract to an outside food vendor for cafeteria services. The food and quality of that food my son has available to him in school is light years ahead of the industrial grade garbage I used to be served.

Who else remembers those hockey puck steam table hamburgers and that ice cold slab of pizza?

Back on track...

No time to read the article right now, but in general I agree. The politicians are only driven by what they think will get them votes. That being said, there must be a significant portion of citizens who feel they must impose their will and choice of diets onto everyone else. I was recently watching reruns of Penn & Tellers BS, and 2 such busy bodies were the subject of the show, as well as the CEO of Carl's Jr. By the 15 minute mark I wanted to strangle the Soda Warrior because of all the times he kept saying "We have to use the government to just nudge people in the right direction...". You eat what you eat, I'll eat what I want to eat. I eat a lot of typical red blooded American foods. Burgers, Steak, fried chicken, what have you. My cholesterol ratio is .5 lower than the average american male. How much of what we eat, as well as how much we do is just as important as what we eat in determining our overall health with respect to its effect on our health.

In summation: Leave me the Eff alone. I don't bother you. Please don't bother me.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I think its more along the lines of, decades of people gradually living more and more on the couch and not going out and using any physical exertion is whats gotten us here. Not saying the gov hasnt been hurting the trend, but i dont think we can blame them on people being fat

HFCS was rapidly introduced to many processed foods and soft drinks in the U.S. from about 1975 to 1985.
    High-fructose corn syrup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

USObesityRate1960-2004.svg

Sedentary jobs help make us fat

I was born in '77 & raised on high fructose corn syrup. My weight did OK (6'-0" & 180lbs @ age 14), but I was always "husky". By the time I was 17 (aka, driving), I was 6'-3" & 240lbs. I stayed that size through HS. At 19 I began playing intermural sports (volleyball & basketball) while eating w/ever I wanted. By the time I was 20, I had dropped to about 210lbs. Shortly thereafter, I bent my knee sideways in a basketball game, completely destroying my ACL. In that same year I finished college (ITT...), got married, & acquired a desk job. In the years since, I steadily climbed to 270lbs, 300 lbs, then 330lbs.

Last year I made only one change in my life...I stopped consuming high fructose corn syrup. I managed to drop from 330lbs to 290lbs in about 4 months, until I began working 60 hour weeks at my desk (my job is to sit & draw). That kept up for about 5 months & I was too worn out to insist that my wife shop for healthy foods. I also had to take quick lunches, which (in hindsight) consisted of 1700 fast food calories. By the end of that 5 month work busy season, I rose back up to 330lbs. Three months ago, my OT ended & I reasserted healthy shopping upon myself & my wife. I'm back down to 305lbs.

I'm sure I'll hit a point where exercise is necessary (and where my weight won't kill my bad knee while doing it), but I'll argue that it would be nearly impossible for most humans to reach & maintain a weight in excess of 300lbs w/out HFCS and/or consuming 3500+ calories each day in a sedentary lifestyle.

TLDR
    I've lost weight, individually, by exercise & healthier foods. Exercise is only one part of the equation. There's a strong correlation between HFCS & America's obesity. There's also a strong correlation between desk jobs & obesity. Add 'em together & you get some pretty large folks.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Another solid reason why we must put aside our differences and vote for whoever runs against Obama. Anything less guarantees four more years of this. Anyone up for that?
    You do know that republican administrations have done the same thing, right? Each administration puts its own mark and spin on the issue. Obama is doing nothing new here and a republicrat will do their thing to dietary guidelines, too. They have to screw with people, it's in their nature. And I, for one, won't vote for certain people just to get Obama out. I'd rather have gridlock than a clear slate for a bad republicrat.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

USDA Secretary: We Must

Apparently LIBERALS want whatever happens in the bedroom to be private between 2 consenting adults but they want whatever happens in the kitchen between a consenting adult and his refrigerator to be regulated.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Apparently LIBERALS want whatever happens in the bedroom to be private between 2 consenting adults but they want whatever happens in the kitchen between a consenting adult and his refrigerator to be regulated.

No they don't. They want the whole world to see and accept what is going on in the bedroom, even if we disagree with it. Take Canada's gay hate speech law thingy as an example of what these people want. Ok, thread jack over, back to your regularly scheduled program. :cool:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Both LIBERALS and CONSERVATIVES want to impose their views on the country. Most of the country is neither, but rather is MODERATE. Most are nowhere near as polarized as the two parties like to make things.

The politicians on both sides feel they know much better than we do how we should live our lives, and they try to put regulations in place to make it happen.

Whether it is what to eat, what to drive, what to watch, what to read, we do not need to be led around like small children. We need to be left to make our own choices and our own mistakes. Of course then people also need to take responsibility for those decisions, something Americans have become very bad at. There is always someone else to blame.

Until this country gets a viable party other than the two we have this will continue.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Both LIBERALS and CONSERVATIVES want to impose their views on the country. Most of the country is neither, but rather is MODERATE.
    Please cite your evidence of this.

Most of the polling data that I see (nationally recognized data) from both liberal and conservative sources, seems to indicate you are wrong. Most seems to indicate that this nation is a "right" leaning nation on most issues fiscal and societal. Its one of the rare things that both left and right leaning folks seem to agree upon, that is that this nation pretty clearly leans right.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Please cite your evidence of this.

Most of the polling data that I see (nationally recognized data) from both liberal and conservative sources, seems to indicate you are wrong. Most seems to indicate that this nation is a "right" leaning nation on most issues fiscal and societal. Its one of the rare things that both left and right leaning folks seem to agree upon, that is that this nation pretty clearly leans right.

Is that why all our politicians tend to support fascist policies then? (bailouts, welfare, warfare, police state, etc.) The polling data doesn't mean crap here, because a lot of people hear something on CNN, MSNBC, or Fox, and take it to be gospel. Perception is most certainly not reality.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Since your health care comes from the government, does not the government have a right to tell you what to eat, drink, sleep, exercise, inter alia? Shouldn't the government tell you what to do so you do not take up public resources?

You take the king's health care voucher, you are the king's man.:D

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Since your health care comes from the government, does not the government have a right to tell you what to eat, drink, sleep, exercise, inter alia? Shouldn't the government tell you what to do so you do not take up public resources?

You take the king's health care voucher, you are the king's man.:D

I agree with this, but the problem comes when they force the king's health care voucher down our throats. Then it officially becomes the governments responsibility to make sure we all stay healthy. I don't see that ending well for anyone who goes along with their scheme, or for anyone who doesn't.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Both LIBERALS and CONSERVATIVES want to impose their views on the country. Most of the country is neither, but rather is MODERATE. Most are nowhere near as polarized as the two parties like to make things.

Until this country gets a viable party other than the two we have this will continue.

Thats a great point. It's not so much the citizens themselves but it's the party they associate with.

The big act going on in Washington makes it seem like each is at the others throat, some of us know it's BS but a lot of people are fooled.

We get mad at citizens in the the other party because we think they really agree with all the BS, it's a big game and it increases the perception of polarization.

Divide and conquer.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    To late. You already gave the gov permission to tell you what to do when you gave them authority over you.

Now it's just a matter of regulation.

I mean, we told the government it was ok to control our food and medicine. Now we're going to complain that they're controlling our food and medicine? That doesn't make sense.

Top Bottom