• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doghead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Union jobs pay big bucks for little work.
    I am a bricklayer and you dont know what work is until you put the bottom in a blast furnace. We work our a$$es off. Know what your talking about before painting broad strokes.

I just got back from Gary , got my gun and some ideas about getting out of the lifetime ban. Thanks for the support and good words fellas it helped. By the way I carried my 1966 S&W bodyguard airweight to and from. Aint gonna break me. SEE ya around.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    If this place is like a military base, all persons are subject to search upon entering the installation. There are big signs with United States Code warnings that indicate the authority :drill:

Congratulations on getting your firearm back!

Last edited:

BtownBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Bloomington
    Off topic, but this thread gave me an idea. Lease a parking lot in Gary, put a good fence around it, and possibly hire security. Then lease spots and run a shuttle service to the various mills and whatnot in the area that don't allow weapons on company property. :D

Seriously, good to hear that you got your weapon back, but I don't think I would want to go to Gary unarmed, either.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Off topic, but this thread gave me an idea. Lease a parking lot in Gary, put a good fence around it, and possibly hire security. Then lease spots and run a shuttle service to the various mills and whatnot in the area that don't allow weapons on company property. :D

Seriously, good to hear that you got your weapon back, but I don't think I would want to go to Gary unarmed, either.

That's a really cool idea!

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I know this is an old thread, but just to update, since I didn't see it in the thread:

U.S. Gary Works is a secured facility and adheres to MARSEC rules. No weapons allowed in the facility. Every new hire, Contractor or otherwise, is required to go through an orientation at which this is stated quite clearly.

Because of this, any and every vehicle, anywhere on the property, including employee parking lots, is subject to random search at any time.

Same is true with refineries. All post 9/11 stuff, really. I've been through more stupid background checks and have more photo ID's than you can imagine (9 photo ID's, currently. Including multiple FBI, DHS, blah, blah, blah background checks.

Just FYI if anyone else heads out to "Da Region", LOL...

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Interesting thread, tanks for the res.
    I'm glad you mentioned MARSEC gunner. The whole incident made me think of entering a coast guard base. They can randomly pull you to the side and search your vehicle for explosives and weapons. I don' think you have an option of leaving.... and the guards carry automatic weapons, so good luck with "defending yourself and your property ". We use to eat dinner at the Alameda base all the time.

So if GW operates the same way, then those guards have every authority to search you without a warrant, and to detain you, and seize your property. I'm assuming signing the agreement as a contractor is similar to entering a U.S military base with a pink ID. What department do the guards at GW fall under? Are they similar airport and university police, I don't think they would be just a private security firm.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Fast forward, They were waiting at the turnstyle checking everyones badge until they got to me. Guard says we have an anonamous tip you may have a fire arm. he then says we are gonna tear your truck apart looking for it unless you cooperate. I say yeah I have a gun locked in a case secured under the seat with a cable lock. We go to my truck I give them the keys they take the gun and say talk to the captain Monday and you are barred from the property until further notice call this number monday. I did sign a consent paper during orientation, I thought the no weapons meant in the plant but I learned they meant their property period including the parking lot.

They watch you on cameras as you enter the plant they can clearly see what you are doing in your vehicle as you drive in. They seen on camera that I didnt have my seatbelt on and had a cruiser waiting up ahead to talk to me about it.

Wearing a seatbelt-- it won't save ONLY your life!!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    But could he have checked his gun at the gate and avoided all the hassle?
    I have done that at CRANE before.

There are no facilites or procedures in place.
    I wish there was.
    Truckers get busted a lot. Guys have to drive all over the country though ****ty places, then get hassled there. No one usually notices. Till there's an accident. Or the driver speeds. Or the gun is visible.

I've worked at USS Gary Works for 21 years.
    I wish I could carry.
    My car is in the parking lot, outside the plant. But it is "on the property". So they can, and have, searched it.
    I'm not sure if DHS rules apply to the parking lot or not, but USS policy is that it does.
    And they will use the full force of a room of lawyers to make sure that even if you win, you will be bankrupt when you finish the fight.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I taught classes for U.S. Steel managers who were pursuing their MBAs out at the Gary Works. Every time I entered the property, I had to leave an extra 15 or 20 minutes to get through security and fill out the visitor paperwork- every time. The paperwork was very clear on the no weapons policy.

The last time I taught those classes was about when this thread was started....so, seems relevant.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bethlehem (acellor matter) used to have armed guards but were a contracted security force connected to the port of Indiana. I don't believe they have armed guards there anymore. My guess is they may at the Port... I dont hang out there anymore.

US Steel not only has their own police with arrest powers but also detectives who will go off site when they suspect someone has stolen US Steel material. Saw them once at a fire station looking for stolen SCBA bottles and respirators. Im assuming they fall under the protocol that municipal cops fall under. Maybe they have federal powers but don't kid yourself, these guys do have some ninja smoke that is not to be trifled with. They also mix low level security guards with USS police and I would bet its hard to tell who is who out there.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Yes, I would probably compare the USS Security folks to University Police, I think that's relatively accurate. Not ALL the guards are armed, as one would probably imagine. But as noted, they have their own PD, FD, EMT's, etc.

USS policy is, really, pretty simple: If it's a weapon, don't bring it. Your vehicle, your belongings and your person are subject to search ANY time your there. And they DO make random searches even when vehicles are leaving. Do NOT have one of your buddies throw old beer cans or bottles in the back of your pickup, 'as a joke'. Since there's no booze allowed, even those cans are considered prima facie evidence that you have been drinking on the property. Buh-bye.

Since you don't 'have' to work at their facility, their rules are abundantly clear. Don't like 'em, leave. Go work somewhere else.

Far as I'm aware, all the mills and refineries in the Chicagoland area are the same. USS and BP have the reputation for being the 'toughest' to work at. If you work for a Contractor, you CAN get your entire company kicked out, permanently, for 'screwing around'.

So, the lesson is simple. Work there, don't screw around!

Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    Here is the deal at every entrance to USS GARY WORKS there are signs that tell you they have the right to search your vehicle! It also says no guns, drugs etc. you will be banned for life that is for sure, getting your guns back maybe depends on their mood at the time.

Top Bottom