Weapons Mounted Light, Lumens? HD Pistol.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    I'm currently in the proccess of deciding on a light for my HD gun, M&P9. I currently have a 600 lumen light on my AR15 and love it especially when outside. I have practiced clearing my house with my AR15 (with light) after my eyes have adjusted to the dark. It can blind you if you point the light directly at a wall like in a hallway. Other than that it isn't bad. I picture from a dead sleep it would blind the snot out of you if you shined it on a white wall up close. That same feature though can blind the crap out of a bad guy or give me longer range when outdoors or carrying the firearm.

So my question is how many lumes is to many lumens for a home defense pistol that is mostly used at the house and if I had to take the fight outside I would grab my AR15 with a 600 lumen light mounted to it.

Lights I am currently interested in, TLR-1 and TLR-1HL. I own several Streamlights and am very satisfied with construction and durability.

What do you use? How man lumens?

Thanks INGO!

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    My work pistol has a standard TLR-1 which is the 300 lumen model. I'm content with it and feel like it does a good job. I've read that the HL's hotspot isn't much brighter than the standard model, but the increase in lumens is due to the much larger spill, which is a good thing. I'd opt for the HL if it were me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I prefer to have as much light available as possible. If I need less, there are way to accommodate a very bright light, but there is no way to get more if you need more. Pointing any light at a reflective surface when you're very close to it is going to cause vision issues whether it's 1000 lumens or 120 lumens.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    My work pistol has a standard TLR-1 which is the 300 lumen model. I'm content with it and feel like it does a good job. I've read that the HL's hotspot isn't much brighter than the standard model, but the increase in lumens is due to the much larger spill, which is a good thing. I'd opt for the HL if it were me.

It's hard to beat the Streamlight TLR-1 for function and cost.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I prefer to have as much light available as possible. If I need less, there are way to accommodate a very bright light, but there is no way to get more if you need more. Pointing any light at a reflective surface when you're very close to it is going to cause vision issues whether it's 1000 lumens or 120 lumens.

Is this what you use?
    p43606_1.jpg

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    That's what I have mounted on my Glock 26. It wasn't easy finding a remote pressure switch!
    I'm calling BS on that one. No mounting rail on a 26 and I wish there was! Love the 26.
    The best light is the one you have available when you need it.
    Nothing beats a wml period (imho).
    TLR-1's work well for me but again that's me and my needs. Always nice to grab one package and be ready to roll. Low light one hand manipulation drills are also possible. I have a couple of the lower lumen TLR-1's and they work for me both handgun and ar15 CQB type situations. I thought I wanted the HL like Rhino's but I did see some negatives. Low light indoor hostage type shoots and the smoke/light combo was blinding with the higher lumen lights. Those same higher lumen lights made target identification easier though. Maybe there's not a 'one size fits all' light. I would prefer an 'off' switch on the TLR so that in a casing/storing situation accidentally turning on the light and draining batteries could not occur. I have learned to work around it and also carry watertight spare batteries. I know you can take steps like tape the end till you need the light but some of mine are for the bump in the night scenarios. I have been kicking this around for over year and have decided MY needs are met. I looked at some other llights wmlx, surefires and they are all nice but if I am only getting comparable performance I will stay with what I've got. I also have holsters set up for the TLR-1 which influences my decision somewhat.
    Good luck with whatever you decide on that works for you.
    Get out and run the set up and see if it actually works for YOU. I heard through the grapevine that there may be some more low light shoots coming up at Parabellum in Avon and I know ACT also offers a low light class later in the year. That's how I know wml rule! I am also well aware of sweeping my 'team' during the target identification process and accept that with no qualms. It works for me and that's all I need. Always interested in what others use so I can evaluate whether I need to change my MO.
    YMMV

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    TLR1 for my Glock 23. Mine isn't the HL version, just he plain 110 lumen (i think) model. Solid, reliable, easy to activate and provides the light I need. No need for extra bells and whistles when this solid product does what I need so well.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've got 3 of the Surefire X300 lights and one X300U. I can't recall what the lumen output is on the X300 but I find it works well on a pistol, not too bright for indoor use. The X300U is both too large and too bright for my pistols but works very well on my rifle.

Top Bottom