Weapons Notice (Hanging in a Texas Convention Center)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    photo.JPG

I thought I’d share this sign that I saw earlier this week in a Texas convention center. The sign was hanging in a gift store by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission. I was curious if the unlicensed weapon it’s talking about is driving one of those electric carts used in convention centers, without permission, through the convention center while drinking a beer?! :laugh:

So really, in regards to firearms, is it talking about no firearms on the convention center grounds, or just the gift store, and what justifies licensed? Would that include an Indiana handgun permit, Texas CCW, driver’s license, a green card, my dad’s permission, or just being 21 and over? :laugh: I love how they include a P.O. Box like I'll take the time to write them a letter and ask!

I have to say that in my observance of this notice and in trying to figure it out, it goes to show that only the law abiding (that aren’t a problem in the first place!) worry about this stuff. A thug carrying a gun isn’t going to care what this sign says. (And why in the gift store... incase a thug thought he'd stop in to buy a "Welcome to Texas" t-shirt to remember the occasion by?)
    :laugh:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I was at a Cincinnati Reds last Friday, saw a "prohibited item list".

A mousetrap was on there.

I know, dissapointing. You can't bring a mousetrap to Reds' Stadium.

Just wanted to share

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I was at a Cincinnati Reds last Friday, saw a "prohibited item list".

A mousetrap was on there.

I know, dissapointing. You can't bring a mousetrap to Reds' Stadium.

Just wanted to share

I'm guessing that was policy was adopted after some unfortunate incident in a rest room. :D

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Before I retired I had to visit El Paso fairly often (my company had a plant in Juarez). The hotel bars I went in had a No Guns Allowed sign - with something like all firearms must be checked (I assume like a hat / coat check) before entry. Believe it is against Texas law to carry where Alcohol is sold.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    No one in Texas is lawful to carry firearms into any establishment unless they have a Texas CHL or are carrying a LTCH for a state that has a reciprical agreement. The number 51 is the magic number for firearms carry. If an establishment has over 51% of its money from alcohol sales, it has to prohibit concealed carry. In a place like a restuarant/bar, you cannot sit at the bar and drink alcohol, but you can sit at a table in the dining room and drink Iced tea, even if your friends are having a beer, unless there is the number 51 posted on the main entrance, you cannot carry there.

Other institutions may prohibit concealed carry, but the have to post statute number 30.06 in it's entirety in lettering NO Less than 1 inch tall. If they post 30.06 warning on a notebook paper, it does not count. Not perfect, but at least a step in the right direction.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The sign in the OP is required anywhere alcohol is sold, even if it is not consumed on premises. So, you will see it at gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, and convenience stores - and convention centers - that sell beer, wine, etc. It notifies people that carrying a gun without a license in a location that sells alcohol is felony (Carry without a license is generally illegal in public, but it is more illegaler where alcohol is sold). Note that is "without" a licenses -- it does not apply to those with a concealed handgun license from Texas or a state with a license recognized by Texas. Ergo you can legally carry with a CHL when you drop into the local stop-n-rob, which can be handy. You can even buy beer there. Just don't drink on premises.

As Leo said, if an establishment makes over 51% of sales from alcohol, then even carry by CHL is prohibited. The sign is completely different, and has a large RED "51%" with the explanatory text written across it. The 51% sign is supposed to be displayed conspicuously near the entrance.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I live in Texas. The carry laws are a typical Texas politics two-step. It works like this.
    As a human being you have a right to protect yourself, to carry a weapon in good faith not concealed. So now the state wants to control and track who has weapons. So, the way to do that is to get people to happily pony up the funding, to register themselves and thereby accept the legislated reality of criminality unless being granted permission by the state. Actually it's very similar to the practice of baiting in deer with corn.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I live in Texas. The carry laws are a typical Texas politics two-step. It works like this.
    As a human being you have a right to protect yourself, to carry a weapon in good faith not concealed.

Except the Texas Constitution mandates that the government regulate who is carrying guns.

Sec. 23. RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS. Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.

Top Bottom