Week in Italy. No fat people and no pickup trucks. Wow.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjcinin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    They all wear skinny jeans. Which I guess are just jeans there.
    Not one obese person. Except for the couple from Texas at the train station.
    Only pickup I saw was an old Toyota. The small one.
    Great week though.

cjcinin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Lots of walking and fresh foods. Really no processed stuff. They pay extra to sit to eat. So lunch is probably had standing. Tipping isn't expected like here. So paying to sit is a thing.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    They all wear skinny jeans. Which I guess are just jeans there.
    Not one obese person. Except for the couple from Texas at the train station.
    Only pickup I saw was an old Toyota. The small one.
    Great week though.

Spain is the same way. I tried to find pick-ups and could not.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Great observation. What would you attribute it to if you had to try and pin it down? The lack of obesity, that is.

Walking.

In America we build neighborhoods without sidewalks and drive everywhere (what is the thing that everyone whines about in gun show threads or the NRA Meetting? The parking). They walk.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Great observation. What would you attribute it to if you had to try and pin it down? The lack of obesity, that is.

Walking, as noted, and also smoking. Meat is also rather pricey, so seafood and veggie intake is higher for economic reasons. I didn't see much soda consumption, either. Table wine is probably healthier than soda pop.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Spent a few months in Italy when my mom was stationed over there. We were about a half hour outside of Aviano AFB. Saw alot of people on bicycles, fresh foods; seemed like sea food was the most abundant and garden grown items, walking...
    Loved going to the farmers markets every week in the different towns we traveled through.

I'd go back in a heart beat.

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana
    My observations from the Northern region
    lack of tennis shoes
    gas stations that only sell gas
    zero fast food business
    resetuarants are only open during their traditional feeding times, not 18 hours a day
    People tend to work for a company for life and the company takes care of them for life
    the average person lives in an apartment their whole life because a small house on land is too expensive.
    The whole country basicly takes the whole month of Oct or November off for family time
    The Northern region's diet is very Meat heavy. Very little pasta.
    Its a great country to visit to get a new outlook on life. We as Americans have it made.
    We are our own worse enemy.

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana
    Oh, and hookers. Illegal there too but everyone looks the other way. Most are young females from the Eastern Bloc Countries....and very good looking.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    When I was over in Germany back in the late 80's and early 90's, I noticed they do tend to walk or bicycle a lot more. I took some time to get around a little and feel that Europe in general does. High fuel prices, small cars, narrow roads, and the "slower" life style gave me that impression. They just are not in as much of a hurry to get everything done as quick as possible so they can go home to sit on a couch and watch TV.

I know if I spent a little less time driving and more on a bike or walking to run errands, I would benefit greatly. I could stand to shed 20 to 30 lbs and probably could do it in no time if I put away the car keys after work. But then again, many Europeans are in closer knit communities where they do not live five or 10 miles from their bank or school or grocery store or restaurants.

cjcinin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Oh, and hookers. Illegal there too but everyone looks the other way. Most are young females from the Eastern Bloc Countries....and very good looking.

We took a tour through Cinque Terra. Our guide pointed out all the pick pockets. All eastern bloc girls no more then 14. Worked in groups dressed like western tourist.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We took a tour through Cinque Terra. Our guide pointed out all the pick pockets. All eastern bloc girls no more then 14. Worked in groups dressed like western tourist.

They are all over Europe in tourist areas. One distracts you with a stupid trick or dance while the others rob you blind, as you tip the one causing the distraction.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    From my limited experience with Italy:
    - the Mediterranean diet is actually pretty darned healthy
    - tons of farm markets, even in the city. Lots of folks grab some fruit and cheese for lunch
    - Walking and biking are how you get around, even in the countryside
    - Not nearly the disposable income as most Americans, and stuff is terribly expensive by comparison.

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    This is the closest thing to a truck that we saw.
    View attachment 47497
    The streets are narrow but a tour bus could make it. In some of the tight places the passengers would get quiet, attentive to the maneuvering by the driver and when the bus made it through everyone would give the driver a round of applause. I think the drivers like putting on a show.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This is the closest thing to a truck that we saw.
    View attachment 47497
    The streets are narrow but a tour bus could make it. In some of the tight places the passengers would get quiet, attentive to the maneuvering by the driver and when the bus made it through everyone would give the driver a round of applause. I think the drivers like putting on a show.

Did you get to Naples?

Top Bottom