• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi all, just wanted to share the good news that I ordered a press , bench stand (as per Chezuki's previous thread and pics -- perfect for my limited space), and other reloading goodies. I've been saving brass and found primers and powders locally, but I FINALLY took the plunge and got a press. -- Still on the lookout for projectiles, looking like xtremebOOlits will likely get an order from me soon --
    It's nothing fancy, it's the Lee classic turret press, I'll be reloading .357/38 spl at first. I assembled my own kit to get a better scale, as opposed to the Lee kit (which isn't bad, the scale was my only sore point), for a $10 price difference, I pieced together the same items with a different scale
    Mostly Lee products, since the price is right and I'm hoping to shoot a couple hundred rounds a month

So, coming to me this week are:
    the Lee classic turret press + auto prime + pro-auto disk powder measure (and riser)
    case length gauge and shellholder
    calipers
    manual
    a basic case care kit (trimmer attachment for a drill, chamfer/deburr tool, etc.)
    small digital scale (Frankford arsenal)
    set of lee deluxe carbide 357/38 spl dies
    **Midwayusa was running a general discount, so I got all this shipped for under $290.

and then from Harbor freight a $30 bench grinder stand ($8 to ship)

So, for about $325, I should be set to reload my 38/357 A single-stage would have been less, but I like the idea of their turret press

Father's day will likely bring another set of dies --- now to decide, .223 or .243??? Ideas?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Sounds like you've done it up right, Tony!

I would go with the 223 next, and be sure to include a plan for how to deal with crimped primer pockets. Some will suggest a dedicated, bench-mounted tool for such, but I just chuck up a counter-sink bit and carefully trim away the burr left by the crimping.

If you decide to go with the 243, treat the LCT like a single-stage by removing the indexing rod.

Congrats on taking the plunge! Let us know if you have any questions or run into any snags. :)

ultraz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Lafayette
    Congrats TT! It's just the beginning. :) (meaning more dies will be ordered soon) Like Broom said let us know if you run into any questions.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Thanks, at this point I feel like I just need to vet some time using the gear (more hands on and less theoretical).
    I've put in my time.studying the art of reloading, seen.other's setups, and now im excited.to roll my own :)

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    How are you going to clean your brass? I got a Harbor Freight tumbler and made my own tumbling media with crushed walnut shells from a pet store(google it online).

I started reloading .38/.357 using Titegroup about a month/month and a half ago. Sat down and reloaded 75 rounds last night to kill time before bed and enjoy the weather. Its a lot of fun. I have bought a 500 box of Vance's bullets at the 1500 and now have bought some .45 ACP and .357 from Indiana Bullet Co. Read Missouri Bullet Co's write up on hardness of lead vs vlocity...very informative.

I've used my bullet puller a couple times. Its a royal PITA in my opinion.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    You have gone and done it now. Every time I tell my wife i'm saving money reloading I end up buying something else for the tool bench. After 8 years of reloading I still don't think I've broken even. :) Ah, what fun i'm having though!

Congratulations and your going to enjoy this side of the hobby.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Congrats, and welcome to reloading. I've reloaded for over a decade on the old style Lee Classic (the old one could take either 3 or 4 hole plates with just an operating rod swap) and it still cranks them out.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Check out SNS Castings bullets. They offer lead and coated bullets. Most of the local USPSA guys run the coated bullets. Coated bullets cost a few more dollars over lead but cheaper then jacketed.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Congrats! I really enjoy reloading. It may be a necessity to save money so I can shoot, but to me it's more like another hobby. It fits well with my OCD tendencies, lol. After a year now, I have a nice routine.

Some suggest you don't need a bullet puller and maybe when I get a few years of loading under my belt, I won't use it much. But right now I use it frequently enough to be glad I have it. 87iroc, I don't know what style bullet puller you have or what type of rounds you are pulling, but I have the inertia kind(like a hammer) and it works great on my taper crimped pistol rounds.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Congrats! Very enjoyable hobby.
    Just remember you don't have to re-invent the wheel. Stick with proven published loads and do your own work ups.
    Also, just stick with .38/357 for now. Learn it, know it, live it... then pick up another caliber later.
    It's easy to get confused when you are starting out and you don't want to mix up and get load data confused between multiple calibers.

For bullets, I really like X-treme's plated bullets. $5 flat shipping now. Lead is a little cheaper, but I prefer to not handle bare lead.
    Stock up on primers, powder, and bullets when ever you find good deals.
    Best to buy primers and powder locally so you don't have to pay hazmat fees.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I too have the LTP. Here is a contribution to your learning curve. The press uses what is called an indexing ratchet. It's a tiny plastic piece that turns the turret. If you force the turret you will break it. It's good to have extra indexing ratchets just in case. Most never have a problem however I did and didn't know. Now you know not to force the turret if it hangs up. I love mine and happy reloading.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Good price. tip#1- Get a cheap fishing tackle box with one tray to hold your basic tools. Taped my receipt to lid from 1988 when I bought my stuff for $348.27. Single stage RCBS rockchucker, RCBS ammocrafter kit & dies for .41 Rem Mag & .270 Win. Tip#2, Read and re-read your Lee Manual and get a few more as time goes on. Tip#3 don't need case cleaner tumbler if you wipe cases. and don't need bullet puller, ever. Finally, take your time and carefully learn the steps. Shoot your reloads BEFORE you decide on a powder and bullet your gun likes. Load when you are ALERT, not just when you're ready for bed. You can add stuff slowly as needed. I know it's harder now because you just can't walk in and get what you need like it was in the old days. Stuff has to be ordered online. It's a life time hobby that will serve you very well. Good luck and have fun.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I would recommend that you remove the indexing rod and use it as a single stage press, learning one stage at a time. You will get a feel of what is going right and what is going wrong just by the feel. This process was suggested to me but I didn't listen (you know I am smarter than most people) I have been reloading for about 18 months and loaded over 10,000 rounds and I still make mistakes (mostly when I'm tired) I have Taken a reloading class at Kodiak, Read several books, met with Andrew at Profire and seek counsel from the well experienced loaders.

Everybody in this thread has given great advice OP, so take it all in and by all means if you have any questions, contact Profire. They are all great guys there and will answer any questions.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Good price. tip#1- Get a cheap fishing tackle box with one tray to hold your basic tools. Taped my receipt to lid from 1988 when I bought my stuff for $348.27. Single stage RCBS rockchucker, RCBS ammocrafter kit & dies for .41 Rem Mag & .270 Win. Tip#2, Read and re-read your Lee Manual and get a few more as time goes on. Tip#3 don't need case cleaner tumbler if you wipe cases. and don't need bullet puller, ever. Finally, take your time and carefully learn the steps. Shoot your reloads BEFORE you decide on a powder and bullet your gun likes. Load when you are ALERT, not just when you're ready for bed. You can add stuff slowly as needed. I know it's harder now because you just can't walk in and get what you need like it was in the old days. Stuff has to be ordered online. It's a life time hobby that will serve you very well. Good luck and have fun.

I would recommend that you remove the indexing rod and use it as a single stage press, learning one stage at a time. You will get a feel of what is going right and what is going wrong just by the feel. This process was suggested to me but I didn't listen (you know I am smarter than most people) I have been reloading for about 18 months and loaded over 10,000 rounds and I still make mistakes (mostly when I'm tired) I have Taken a reloading class at Kodiak, Read several books, met with Andrew at Profire and seek counsel from the well experienced loaders.

Everybody in this thread has given great advice OP, so take it all in and by all means if you have any questions, contact Profire. They are all great guys there and will answer any questions.

Thanks, and yes, I'm not going to go about this recklessly. I've already read through the Hornday manual cover to cover and have been researching for well over a year. I've watched a few people (brother-in-law, uncle, friend, etc) reload rifle rounds plenty.
    I'll likely do a bit of everything on the press -- meaning I'll do a few in batches (single stage style), some with indexing rod removed and manually turn it, and some using the turret to knock out 1 finished round at a time.
    Good advice and encouragement all around in this thread!

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I was interested in cartridge cases when I was a kid. First reloading manual was Sierra Bullets with all info on the various guns of the day. Read that book often, just for the info. Had that book many years before I actually got to craft my own. I started because .41 Rem Mag. ammo was $36 a box of 50 in 1988. It's good to know you are starting with a straight wall pistol case and have seen it all before. You sound like the kind of reloader that will be successful and good luck to you.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Congrats on the new press. Shooting will never be the same for you. From now on, you'll have a totally different perspective on shooting when you have the knowledge of what's going on inside the casing. Lots of good advice floating around this thread. Gluemanz28 makes a good point regarding getting to know the feel of each stage. I started on a single stage and moved to a progressive a couple of years after that and it's amazing how much you can read from how the press feels when you pull the handle. Eventually, you'll be able to guess what manufacturer made the brass when you run a mixed load by how the primer feels when it seats.

Light is your friend. Make sure you can see what's going on and look into each and every case to verify the charge. Also, save all of your brass. Not just what you currently reload or think you might want to reload, but all of it. You never know when you'll decide to reload something you never thought about before and when you do, it's nice to have a couple of hundred cases you collected over the years to practice on. When you clean cases, it's easy to go overboard but you really don't need them to be bright and shiney inside and out. If it makes you happy to clean them that much, great but do it because you like shiney brass, not because you think you need shiney brass.

Some of my favorite calibers to reload are .45 ACP and .380 ACP. Both can save you a ton of money or at the very least, keep you shooting when the store shelves are empty. 380 can be loaded and shot pretty cheap. I've reloaded it for well under $5 per 50 which is a fraction of what it will cost you to buy commercial ammo.

Good luck with the new hobby!

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Thanks, and yes, I'm not going to go about this recklessly. I've already read through the Hornday manual cover to cover and have been researching for well over a year. I've watched a few people (brother-in-law, uncle, friend, etc) reload rifle rounds plenty.
    I'll likely do a bit of everything on the press -- meaning I'll do a few in batches (single stage style), some with indexing rod removed and manually turn it, and some using the turret to knock out 1 finished round at a time.
    Good advice and encouragement all around in this thread!

I apologize that I didn't explain using the progressive as a single stage a bit better. I would not index manually as it leaves to many chances for human error. Use it as a single stage only. In other words if doing pistol rounds such as 9mm, I would deprime, resize and auto prime 50 cases in a row, then turn them upside in an empty reloading tray or empty 50 round bullet tray. Then bell and powder charge the same 50 cases. Turning them open side up so that you know which cases should have powder. Visually inspect the 50 cases with a flashlight looking to see that you don't have an empty or over charged case. Move on to seating the bullet on the powder charged 50 cases. The last step will be to factory crimp the 50 cartridges.

I know this seems like a waste of time to spend four times the amount of time it would have taken to reload the same fifty rounds. It will pay off in the long run when you don't have to pull a bunch of rounds, make a squib round or something worse yet.

Be safe and enjoy the reloading process. I enjoy it as much as shooting.

Top Bottom