• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Pulling rounds down is what makes us better at reloading. My buddies 20 yr old son came down to load with us on his Dad's LNL AP press. He kept trying to impress us by how fast he could go. I kept telling him to slow down and make them good instead of making bad rounds fast.

He had to pull about 50 rounds out of the 200 that he loaded due to high primers. I explained to him that he wasn't faster after all. I'm glad I was never too young to listen :whistle:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I put some 380 loads together using W231 at near max load. I loaded 100 rounds and went to the range to try them on the newly purchased G42. They would not cycle in the gun. They would either not slide back far enough to pickup another round or would stove pipe.

My wife was with me so I had her shoot them and told her it was good malfunction practice while I shot my new G41. :whistle:
    That was way easier than pulling them. I loaded up another set of four different powder weights with five rounds each with bullseye powder. They shot great with the Bullseye powder.

Can't you get in trouble going under a minimum load or even end up with with a bullet in the tube?

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    A mistake can be made on any kind of press as long as there are humans operating them.

Agreed, but I am less likely to make a mistake if I have to run slower on a single stage. I've been kicking the idea of a 550 around. I think I can say it would be better for me to stay with a single stage...still debating though.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    To err is human. Mistakes will and do happen. We get in that zone when loading, especially handgun. I've pulled more than one bullet that's for sure. I find that keeping my loading sessions down to a couple hundred at a time helps. I step away for at least a short period and it seems to help me focus. Nothing has ever happened to make me think about going back to single stage fro handgun though. Rifle will always be single stage for me.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Agreed, but I am less likely to make a mistake if I have to run slower on a single stage. I've been kicking the idea of a 550 around. I think I can say it would be better for me to stay with a single stage...still debating though.

Please don't let my error disused you. Everyone chooses their setup for their particular need. I go to the range quite often and use a great deal of my ammo taking students and faculty members who have never shot a pistol or rifle. I wouldn't be able to do this as often on a single stage. Also, I'm not looking for precise loads as some desire with their pistol ammo.

[video=youtube_share;8eC4OeRvRXE]http://youtu.be/8eC4OeRvRXE[/video]

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Please don't let my error disused you. Everyone chooses their setup for their particular need. I go to the range quite often and use a great deal of my ammo taking students and faculty members who have never shot a pistol or rifle. I wouldn't be able to do this as often on a single stage. Also, I'm not looking for precise loads as some desire with their pistol ammo.

[video=youtube_share;8eC4OeRvRXE]http://youtu.be/8eC4OeRvRXE[/video]

No sir...your mistake will not persuade me either way. It and other like it are helping me make my decision. I like the idea of being able to reload several hundred an hour. I do know what happens when I get into a rhythm, such as you did. I don't like the idea of spending that much money when I have everything I already need to reload. I'm still trying to decide what to do...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've loaded approx 150k rounds on my 550. I've pulled a few when something got out of whack in my process (better safe than sorry), but I have never in that time had a squib or double charge. Now I'm human and I might have a bad one boxed up ready to shoot from my last batch, but it's about the process and due diligence, not the equipment. The idea that you can't make the same mistakes in a single stage is rediculous... I've seen people do it. In fact, I'm of the opinion it's almost easier to screw up as the process is less automated.

Look. In. Every. Case.
    no matter what else happens on the press, be it a normal cycle or when something screws up like a crunched primer, I look in the case and confirm the charge looks right, set the bullet on top, and pull the handle. Those three steps always happen together.

Following that process with my advice farther up in the thread, I'd never sway someone from a 550 or 650. The 550 was my first and only press (actually I just got a Redding single stage yesterday for Christmas). I load 4 pistol calipers and 223 on the 550.

:twocents:

-rvb

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    It is easy to "get in a rhythm" on a 550B. I only had to pull down one small batch of .223 before I bought the low powder warning device.

It's kinda' hard to Look. In. Every. Case. with .22 cal and smaller rifle cartridges. Just sayin'.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    What is the butterfly screw you are talking about Que?? Are you talking about what's on the spring that pulls the bar back?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

Cool thanks for confirming that for me, I was just wondering. I had issues with where the bar connects up top the other day and had to jack with all of that when starting up. Glad to hear you caught it though!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    It is easy to "get in a rhythm" on a 550B. I only had to pull down one small batch of .223 before I bought the low powder warning device.

It's kinda' hard to Look. In. Every. Case. with .22 cal and smaller rifle cartridges. Just sayin'.

Ive not loaded anything smaller than .223, but the right lighting makes a lot of difference in how easy or hard it is to see in. Some guys use mirrors.

-rvb

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Can't you get in trouble going under a minimum load or even end up with with a bullet in the tube?

I was just under max load so there were no worries of a bullet in the barrel. I even loaded them hotter with the W231 but they still wouldn't cycle so I went back to Bullseye and all is good now.

Top Bottom