• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Me and my dad just ran down to one of my top secret spots to shoot some carp and get it on video. We got down there and they were spawning I thought it was too late in the season for it and i wouldn't believe it if i didn't see it with my own eyes. There were about 30 of them about 5 feet from the bank. My heart was pounding and i drew the bow back and released and missed every single one :( not only did i miss but the shot scared them and they scattered and didn't come back:xmad:. Now i have hit 3 in a row from about 25-30 feet away on my first shot and somehow i miss a gigantic ball of them from 5 feet. Oh well I waded out and found the arrow my dad lost the other day so it wasn't a complete loss.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Shooting at a group of objects and not picking out a specific one, can lead to poor form.
    If of good form then you're just playing the odds of a hit.
    And your assessment of the group might have had errors, had more non target space than thought.

Aim at a specific one, maybe wait for a few to line up, offering high/low contact with the extras, but you still need to focus and aim at that one target.

Sloppy usually doesn't work.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Me and my dad just ran down to one of my top secret spots to shoot some carp and get it on video. We got down there and they were spawning I thought it was too late in the season for it and i wouldn't believe it if i didn't see it with my own eyes. There were about 30 of them about 5 feet from the bank. My heart was pounding and i drew the bow back and released and missed every single one :( not only did i miss but the shot scared them and they scattered and didn't come back:xmad:. Now i have hit 3 in a row from about 25-30 feet away on my first shot and somehow i miss a gigantic ball of them from 5 feet. Oh well I waded out and found the arrow my dad lost the other day so it wasn't a complete loss.

Yep...A perfect example of this from my youth...

Me-"I can't believe I missed the WHOLE covey!!!"

My Cousin-"You ain't spose to shoot at the WHOLE covey....."

Funny thing is.....I still shoot at the whole covey...At least the first one of the season...I am 49 yrs old now and I am still hoping one day a quail will fly into my shot on one of my patented first covey of the season spray and pray shots....Those little Gentlemen just get me so durn excited when they flush up that I can't help myself.....

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Yep...A perfect example of this from my youth...

Me-"I can't believe I missed the WHOLE covey!!!"

My Cousin-"You ain't spose to shoot at the WHOLE covey....."

Your experience is the same as mine. When I pick out a bird, I usually hit it. When I don't, I don't. The "group scatter shot" has never worked for me, not even once.

When you think about it, it makes sense. You're abandoning every piece of skill you ever learned, and instead relying on chance. If you have any skill at all, it's a sucker bet (or Carp bet, pardon the pun).

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I aimed at one in the center of the group that was out of the water the most it just seems with all those fish i should have hit something. Everytime i bring some one or have the camera running I miss every shot but as soon as im alone with no camera i start hitting the ones that would normally be misses. I just got back fro the river and missed every shot and of course the camera was running. I think it is stress or something I am the same with most things I can do it fine alone but as soon as other people are watching i suck.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I broke my string of bad luck and got one today my first head shot in through the gills and out through the nose he fought for a minute and then realized he should be dead

the bad news is my line snagged something and i lost my arrow so i am down to one again.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, two clubs. 'Cause with no arrows in it ya can beat 'em with the quiver, too! :laugh:
    Hey, that means right now, you have more clubs than arrows!! :rofl:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    The first carp I shot at, back when I was much younger, was with a 20# draw bow. The arrow hit it square in the side, and bounced right back, missing my head by inches.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Well i've gotten better since i last posted in this thread. Walked the bank today and got 4 fish pics of only 3 of em.
    tonight's

one of em from this morning

these were all taken using the points that im making now

Top Bottom