• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I can use both. If the brass is really dirty, I resize/deprime then sonic clean (to clean the primer pocket as well), then air dry for a day. This process does not polish the brass, it only cleans the brass. Then I use a tumbler to polish the brass. This process means I don't have the resizing die in my progressive press with the powder/seating/crimping dies making the reloading easier, but takes longer since the resizing/deprime step requires an additional run through the press.

If the brass is already pretty clean (i.e., purchased and not range brass), then no wet process, just tumble to polish. Then I'm ready to run brass through the press with all 4 dies.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Depends, anymore I wet tumble with stainless media. First weekend off in a while so along with shoveling snow, it's what I did yesterday and today.

Most of the time I at least deprime (if the brass isn't disgusting I'll resize dirty) then wet tumble them.

If it's nasty I'll wet tumble them with the primer in, then resize and deprime, them run them in a dry tumbler for a half hour or so to get the One Shot lube off of it.

An advantage of wet is the stainless pins pretty much last forever while regular media does have a life span but it'll still work okay. The wet is just more labor intensive.

The wet tumbler is nice cause I can do a lot larger volume of brass in it than my regular media tumbler.

If I just want to clean some nasty brass or do a small batch I'll just chuck it in the dry tumbler instead so I'm not tying up the Thumler. Plus if I leave the brass in the walnut/corncob media for a long time no big deal. If you leave your brass in the water it looses that shine and you have to run them again. If you deprime or resize and deprime and use the stainless pins or ultra sonic, it cleans the primer pocket which is nice

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Wet gets brass much cleaner.
    Yeay, you do have to dry it, but I clean my brass in advance and have a stock of clean dry brass ready to go anytime I want to reload.
    No dust is great, and all the dirt goes right down the drain.
    I tumble for about 3 hours.
    SS media never wears out. buy once, cry once

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I do both. However, my brass looks nicer when done dry. When wet it's perfectly clean(no polish) so it instantly tarnishes. How do I polish when wet tumbling?

Given the option, I do dry. It's the Set it and Forget it option. Wet is quicker overall, but more labor intensive.

Jdubbs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Dearborn County
    That was my hang up. Either way id end up dry tumbling to polish cases to keep from tarnishing. I started with corncob, then switched to walnut. I like the walnut better but havent mixed yet. My buddy claims its better, but everyone has an opinion.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I do both. However, my brass looks nicer when done dry. When wet it's perfectly clean(no polish) so it instantly tarnishes. How do I polish when wet tumbling?

that was my hang up. Either way id end up dry tumbling to polish cases to keep from tarnishing.

I saw several videos where this question is addressed. The reloaders simply used automotive car wash in place of the detergent (dawn). The car wash, which usually contains polishing agents, cleaned and polished the brass plus protected it from tarnishing.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Wet.

Pros.... No dust, faster, cleans & polishes better, cleans inside, cleans primer pocket, healthier.
    Cons... None.

Dry...When done properly, nothing is faster, cleans sufficiently, where it matters. We all gotta die of something, but seriously..."healthier"?
    Cons... The fact that I can't think of any is why I am perfectly contenting with dry-media tumbling.

Do y'all spit-shine your boots, too?

Jdubbs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Dearborn County
    Right now i do a wet clean on my brass soaking in hot water, lemishine, dawn, and sometimes if i pick up grungy range brass throw in a splash of vinegar. Brass comes out nice. Granted the primer pockets arent sparkling, but the uniformer cleans them up anyways. Then i tumble for an hour to hour and a half in ground up lizard litter. Ive tried running longer but havent seen any better results running longer. I can see advantages for both, but in the end its whatever makes a person happy.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I know several people have raised the issue of brass tarnishing and I know everyone has a way to address it...but this the approach that works for me:

1) Add a 9mm casing amount of lemon shine to tumbler
    2) add a good pour (maybe an ounce or two) of simple green
    3) Wet tumble for 2-4 hours depending on how dirty the brass is
    4) dump as much water out as possible and then let it sit under a sink under COLD water for 10 min
    5) Separate media from brass
    6) Rise brass again
    7) Dump water and rinse brass again
    8) Dry with a towel but shaking the brass back and forth. Doesn't have to be dry-dry...just take out excessive amount of water
    9) Allow to dry in dehydrator for about 2 hours...re-arrange the shelving and let it go for another 2-3 hours (This is what I use: Amazon.com: Waring Pro DHR30 Professional Dehydrator: Food Dehydrator: Kitchen & Dining) and I run it on max heat
    And I don't have any issue with tarnishing. In fact, step 9 allows me to skip de-capping altogether for pistol ammo before tumbling. I reload with a progressive press in large volumes so going through the deprime steps seems like a waste just to clean the primer pocket. However, just to be on the safe side I let the brass sit a week before I reload. My basement is very dry, like 30% humidity, and I haven't had any issues with wet-primer pockets.
    It may sound like more work then dry tumbling, that is because it is, but the benefits are much more than just clean brass. I've eliminate all the toxic dust in my house even with running the tumbler in the garage a layer of dust would get on everything in my reloading room. With this setup I can use the laundry sink and away it goes.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Depends, if the brass is crappy range brass (outdoor range) and shows staining and other uglies, WET
    if it is pretty nice looking to start with, DRY

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Can Lemi Shine be purchased locally? I searched everywhere here in cow town and nothing. So I just ordered a bottle on eBay and was sent the wrong stuff. This is starting to feel like the search for powder.

Top Bottom