• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    As a new reloader --- and one of the *shameful* few who don't have a tumbler (yes... I agitate my brass in water + vinegar + soap + dash o' salt, then neutralize in water + baking soda, then dry) --- I have been looking at tumblers and will pick up one next year. I shoot pretty low volume and hand washing is a necessity, but not too annoying.

My uncles and friends always used dry tumblers with either corn cob or walnut media, but I REALLY like the idea of a wet tumbler that eliminates the dust. Different strokes for different folks. In the end, they BOTH work well if done correctly, and it's just a preference. Besides, the brass doesn't need to shine bright enough to signal an airplane with it, it just needs to be "functionally clean"

I'll probably pick up a basic wet tumbler unit with stainless media.

For those interested:
    [video=youtube;VtM7j356iv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtM7j356iv4[/video]

[video=youtube;9XraBYt9-zA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XraBYt9-zA[/video]

[video=youtube;geAU6HLfi7w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geAU6HLfi7w[/video]

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    The biggest issue I have with wet tumbling so far is the small size of the tumblers, like the Thumbler's Model. I've looked into one of those small, portable cement mixers with the plastic mixing bowls, like the Harbor freight models because of their larger capacity. I'm just not sure how well they would hold up to long, continuous use?

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Something along those lines that could take a 5 gallon sealed top bucket would really be nice.

Two years ago I would have thought that was a ridiculous amount of brass to process. I mean there are probably only a handful of people that shoot that much right?

I have gone through more than 700 rounds this month. It doesn't sound so ridiculous now.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Two years ago I would have thought that was a ridiculous amount of brass to process. I mean there are probably only a handful of people that shoot that much right?

I have gone through more than 700 rounds this month. It doesn't sound so ridiculous now.

I think along the same lines. This model 65-T from Diamond Pacific has an 8 1/2 gallon drum. I would love one but they're very expensive, running around $800.00. I can't justify spending that on a brass prep tool right now.

[video=youtube;WyUxreBAPp8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyUxreBAPp8[/video]

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN
    I have the Rebel 17 and I can put 5lbs of brass in at a time. Aprox 400-500 rounds at a time. That seems like a pretty solid amount to me. I though about building one as well, but I really liked the drum with the flats on the inside.
    I have seen the home made ones with a 5 gal bucket, but I don't like the idea of putting holes in it to put some sort of bar or angle iron in to use as an agitator.
    I think I am going to buy some more brass and just keep doing 500 at a time and just storing them long term. It takes 2 hrs to process and I could do 2-3 loads in an evening watching a movie in between.

The cement mixer is a great idea, but you would need to do 5 gal buckets at a time to make it worth the space it takes up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5y_dsP3dsM

If someone could come up with a 5 gal bucket that had nice big agitators in it.....without putting "holes" in the sides....you could make some Cash!
    I didn't buy my Rebel 17 because it was the greatest thing ever....I just wanted the drum. The motor and the spindles are nothing fancy at all. ( nicely made though )

xM3RC1L3SS1x

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Southeast of Indy
    I think along the same lines. This model 65-T from Diamond Pacific has an 8 1/2 gallon drum. I would love one but they're very expensive, running around $800.00. I can't justify spending that on a brass prep tool right now.

[video=youtube;WyUxreBAPp8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyUxreBAPp8[/video]

Oh man, that thing could tumble some brass huh. It is definitely more then I would be willing to spend on a prep tool at this time as well.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    drying only took 10 minutes...and I will cut that time down as i improve the process...

I think the folks that do the dry are against the wet version for some reason.

I was just suggesting that people give it a second look because it really worked very well for me.

I began wet tumbling last year and it's all I do now days. I'll be the first to admit that it's overkill as far as cleaning brass though. I do it because I like to do it, not because I think it's better in any way. That's where the differences between the dry vs. wet tumbling enthusiasts come in. Wet tumbling takes longer if you decap first and provides no real advantage if you don't (it can actually be a disadvantage is the cases are not dried completely). I've seen no difference in reliability between ammo I loaded after dry tumbling and after wet tumbling.

But, I still do it because I like to do it. I like the methodical process of cleaning the cases with wet tumbling. It's cleaner for me and that makes me happy, so that's what I do.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I got to try out the food dehydrator to dry my brass. ~500 .45ACP cases at a time and I put the timer on 2hrs @95° and the brass comes out looking great with no drying spots or anything on it. FYI, I use the lemi-shine additive along with detergent (car wash this time around to see if the brass tarnishes less over time).

Very pleased with the purchase, though I probably spent too much on the dehydrator, I think one of the really cheap ones that don't use a heating element would do just fine, just take a little longer. My brass is probably dry after 1hr and I can even go up to 160° if I desired. I'm not in that big of a hurry, I'm just trying to knock the drying time down so that I can have it dry by the time the next batch of brass is through the tumbler so that when I get the time/gumption to process brass, I can make the most of that time.

Top Bottom