• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HistoryGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    Churubusco
    My father-in-law wants to take me to a shooting event in a few years and one of the things I needed was a full size 9mm. I have handled the Glock 19 and loved it. I was also looking at the Walther P99 and PPQ and Bretta 92 FS and PX4.

What's good out of this list or is there better? I'd like to stay under $700 if possible.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Lots of options in that price range. Most of us cannot guess at what would work for you, but can only talk about what worked for us. For me, the best 9mm full size experience was probably a CZ SP01. It's not a great carry gun, but is a great shooter. If you are into the Polymer stuff, a CZ P07 or P10C would be a nice choice. I used to own a Hi Power that was really nice, but since getting into the CZ world, have moved in that direction. If you are going for the cool factor, a 9mm Colt 1911 could be interesting. It's not the best 9mm 1911 out there, but if you can find them for under $700, it's not a bad deal.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If the "shooting event" is IDPA, USPSA, STEEL CHALLENGE etc, any of the major company's (Glock, S&W, Springfield, Ruger, Walther, H&K) models will do. Try and shoot as many as you can before you buy one. Buy the one you shoot the best. Will you want a striker fired or a DA/SA or SA only?

A side note. If you think you might really get into a shooting sport, the price of accessories such as mags may make a difference. Glock mags are cheap. H&K mags are pricey. The availability of holsters in the style you want could be a factor with the less common brands.

I had my mind set on an M&P when I was buying my full size. I shot a G17, M&P and XDm back to back. I was clearly better with the XDm. That's what I bought.

Time to have fun trying them all out.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    You might take a look at the FNS or FNX 9's. They sell new for about $650 and include 3 17rnd mags.

I agree with above post on hickok45. So many good reviews on any gun you want to know about.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Go to a range that rents different ones or if you have friends with guns see if you can shoot them. Everyone has a different opinion, hell I have a different opinions on different days.

HistoryGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    Churubusco
    What type of shooting will be done at this future event?

I don't remember the event name but it sounds like its an event where if it can be done it will be done. So I am looking for a good all around gun that can also be used as a carry gun whan its all done. That's why I was really leaning towards the Glock 19.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I would say Browning Hi Power, but that's undoubtedly a little above your budget. Beretta 92 family . . . FS or M9, possibly a compact if the full size seems big.

John

HistoryGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    Churubusco
    I would say Browning Hi Power, but that's undoubtedly a little above your budget. Beretta 92 family . . . FS or M9, possibly a compact if the full size seems big.

John
    I handled a Hi Power (didn't shoot it but handled it in a store) and yeah way above my budget. I also remember I didn't like the way it felt in my hand. I don't remember what exactly but I just didn't like it.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I handled a Hi Power (didn't shoot it but handled it in a store) and yeah way above my budget. I also remember I didn't like the way it felt in my hand. I don't remember what exactly but I just didn't like it.

Yup! Cost is why I mentioned the full and compact sizes of the Beretta 92[xx]. Whatever you get should feel good, not just handling in the store, but when firing it. Recommend renting the final candidates to see how they feel with 115 grain, 124 grain (Winchester NATO if possible) and 147 grain in medium to warm loads. Lightweights like the Sig P239 will handle very differently compared to the Beretta M9 with the same ammunition. Light weight isn't always a benefit.

John

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm no expert on 9mm as a caliber, but when it comes to selecting your pistol, ergonomics are the quickest factor to determine, so that's the first rung to climb.
    Once you've narrowed down your selection there, see how you like the manual of arms (safety? no safety? striker? hammer? DA? SA? DA/SA?, etc.) of your narrowed choices.
    After that, look at prices of the guns themselves, cost for extra mags, warranty, company reputation, and aftermarket support.
    All of the ones you cited have a reputation for reliability, the single most important factor with any gun, even about shooter comfort.

Top Bottom