• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I received a gift today of a Colt 1911 competition match pistol. This is my first 1911 although I have always wanted one.
    and have been dreaming about the Springfield Range Officer 1911.

I need some help fully appreciating what I have. I am stunned at receiving such a gift. Here is what I know:

It it is an antique dating back to 1952. There is no serial number as I believe it was made before serial numbers were
    required. I would appreciate some clarification on firearms and serial numbers.

I am told this is a match grade pistol. It has, what seems to me, extremely fine rear site and narrow front site. All fixed / not adjustable.

The gun has been used in competition and the only marks on it is where some type of adapter was clamped onto the trigger to make
    wider, I suppose for better control.

I do not know much about the original owner. All I know is that it was owned by a collector who had lots of nice guns.

It is in beautiful condition with original blued finish. I was told never to put it away with out wiping it down.

I have no idea of the value but suspect it is highly valuable, although I would never sell it. I intend to keep it in it's original condition.

On left side, it has "PATENTED APR.20, 1987. SEPT.9.1902, COLT's PT.F.A.MFG.CO.
    DEC.19.1905.FEB.14.1911.Aug.19.1913 HARTFORD.CT.U.S.A."
    There is a colt emblem in the middle of all the lettering.

On the right side "MODEL OF 1911.U.S.ARMY"

I have one 5 round magazine used for competitions, and two 7 round magazines with standard military type ball ammo.
    I also have a TEX SHOEMAKER & SONS 59HF black leather holster along with matching dual magazine holster.

I wold appreciate anything anyone who knows 1911's can tell me to help me appreciate this pistol to it's fullest.

Added picture links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ec0itwh8s67stwm/IMG_1373.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/00p8zz0d29yg4mi/IMG_1374.JPG

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Serial numbers weren't required until 1968. But as far as I know, Colt has always put serial numbers on their 1911's since, well, 1911

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville

Working on it.... I am no photographer. Hopefully this link from my dropbox will work.

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Maybe a prototype??
    I can't imagine Colt making a 1911 with out serial numbers, but I'm no expert.
    I would be more worried about the legalities of possessing this firearm with no serial numbers or a solid back story & documentation to explain why it has no serial numbers.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    insp%20m37.gif
    insp%20m34.gif
    insp%20m61.gif
    insp%20m62.gif
    insp%20m36.gif
    insp%20m38.gif
    insp%20m39.gif
    insp%20m40.gif
    insp%20m41.gif
    insp%20m42.gif
    insp%20m43.gif
    insp%20m44.gif
    insp%20m45.gif
    insp%20m46.gif
    insp%20m47.gif
    insp%20m48.gif
    insp%20m49.gif
    insp%20m50.gif
    insp%20m51.gif
    insp%20m52.gif
    insp%20m53.gif
    insp%20m54.gif
    insp%20m55.gif
    insp%20m56.gif
    insp%20m57.gif
    insp%20m63.gif

insp%20m64.gif
    insp%20m58.gif
    insp%20m59.gif
    Special Thanks to Dana Kamm for making these images available!

As it has no serial I'll go with my original post, lunchbox gun. All Colts have had a serial number.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I would say it is similar, but not exactly the same as the "Eagles Head" marking.

I tried to take a better picture of the marking. Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bp403n7ow41gtyz/IMG_1375.JPG

Does the 'heart shaped cutout' tell you anything?

heart shape was on military weapons after 1918, not sure when it stopped. Mark looks like it may be the eagle's head. Best shot is to go to the Colt forum, most of the expert are there.

boblade

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    Hi I am 66 Years Old and have Collected Colt's since 1965 my dad gave me his US&S 1911A1 and I have owned a lot of Colt's thru the years.
    that being stated Colt was REQUIRED by Law to Serial Number Every Gun Produced From 1873 when Sam Colt Applied for his Patent on the first Pistol he made.
    Your Colt 1911 did have a Serial Number on it at sometime and appears from the photo's that the Frame has been Shaved which Removed the Serial Number and also the U.S Property Stamping that should be on the Left side forward a 1//4" from the front of the Frame, The Eagle Head on the Frame next to the mag drop button is correct.
    Let me know if you need any more Information

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Hi I am 66 Years Old and have Collected Colt's since 1965 my dad gave me his US&S 1911A1 and I have owned a lot of Colt's thru the years.
    that being stated Colt was REQUIRED by Law to Serial Number Every Gun Produced From 1873 when Sam Colt Applied for his Patent on the first Pistol he made.
    Your Colt 1911 did have a Serial Number on it at sometime and appears from the photo's that the Frame has been Shaved which Removed the Serial Number and also the U.S Property Stamping that should be on the Left side forward a 1//4" from the front of the Frame, The Eagle Head on the Frame next to the mag drop button is correct.
    Let me know if you need any more Information

It doesn't look shaved to my untrained eye. Maybe I can take some measurements with a micrometer and find out is it is the right thickness. What about the photo makes you think it is shaved?

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I received a gift today of a Colt 1911 competition match pistol. This is my first 1911 although I have always wanted one.
    and have been dreaming about the Springfield Range Officer 1911.

I need some help fully appreciating what I have. I am stunned at receiving such a gift. Here is what I know:

It it is an antique dating back to 1952. There is no serial number as I believe it was made before serial numbers were
    required. I would appreciate some clarification on firearms and serial numbers.

I am told this is a match grade pistol. It has, what seems to me, extremely fine rear site and narrow front site. All fixed / not adjustable.

The gun has been used in competition and the only marks on it is where some type of adapter was clamped onto the trigger to make
    wider, I suppose for better control.

I do not know much about the original owner. All I know is that it was owned by a collector who had lots of nice guns.

It is in beautiful condition with original blued finish. I was told never to put it away with out wiping it down.

I have no idea of the value but suspect it is highly valuable, although I would never sell it. I intend to keep it in it's original condition.

On left side, it has "PATENTED APR.20, 1987. SEPT.9.1902, COLT's PT.F.A.MFG.CO.
    DEC.19.1905.FEB.14.1911.Aug.19.1913 HARTFORD.CT.U.S.A."
    There is a colt emblem in the middle of all the lettering.

On the right side "MODEL OF 1911.U.S.ARMY"

I have one 5 round magazine used for competitions, and two 7 round magazines with standard military type ball ammo.
    I also have a TEX SHOEMAKER & SONS 59HF black leather holster along with matching dual magazine holster.

I wold appreciate anything anyone who knows 1911's can tell me to help me appreciate this pistol to it's fullest.

Added picture links:

Unless this is a typo on your part, I think it would indicate a post 1987 production date.

Top Bottom