• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    I did a quick search, and didn't find much. How old were your kids when you brought them to the range with you to let them shoot? I'm sure it's more of a maturity thing than it is a certain age, just like there are 40 year olds that probably shouldn't drink alcohol. So how old were your kids the first time they shot a firearm, and how did you keep them interested in it?

I believe my daughter, with proper safety training, is probably ready. I would assume most start with a .22 rifle, and go from there. Any other suggestions or suggestions for a first firearm for the kiddos?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I started shooting as soon as I could operate a BB gun, shortly after I had a bolt action 22lr around the age of 5 and have been shooting ever since.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    My son was around 5, after a few minutes of the rules ( we did that every time we shot ) and then reasons for the rules we had learning to shoot correctly. After that we had FUN. Remember to keep it fun, buy cheap soda in cans, a few spinner targets, some targets that hold clay pigeons, I used CB's so no headgear was needed and we could talk as we were shooting. Later I bought a can to keep things quiet.
    Fun is key..... Buy a rifle that fits them NOW not in three years, for 150 bucks it can easily be done. Money well spent.
    A heavy oversized rifle is no fun for a kid to shoot..

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I started shooting as soon as I could operate a BB gun, shortly after I had a bolt action 22lr around the age of 5 and have been shooting ever since.

:yesway:....same here.....1st shotty was a .410....'bout 8, I think.....start'd hunt'n with a ol' Iver Johnson single 12 at 'bout 10......

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Two.

12106971_10105559415378948_6790520169923209354_n.jpg

(he saw mommy shooting it and wanted to do it too. 22LR bolt + can + CCI-SV = easy on little guy ears)

ireed3

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    indiana
    hopefully this doesn't get deleted. i started my son and daughter with red ryder bb rifles at 8 & 9, moved my son up to a savage 22 rental at my range at 11 (shop owner let him shoot), hes 12 now and i am getting him his first rifle this year so we can go out to atterbury together. im considering getting a walther p22 to start him out with as a hand gun (will be my plinker).

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    A P22 was the first pistol my son started with.
    He is now 16 and he still shoots the **** out of that pistol. Hes shot thousands of trouble free rounds out of it.
    I also gave him a old Colt Scout single action 22 that has almost no finish left on it. It's little and fits kids hands well.. It's funny watching a little kid listen to the single action work when he cocks it and drops the hammer and cocks it again he loves that small revolver.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I started with a bb gun at age 3, my dad had to cock it etc. but that's where he started my gun safety pretty heavy and by age 6 I had a 22. I don't think it's ever too early for a bb gun or a pop gun even for certain things, then a 22 when you think they are ready is perfect. I don't have kids yet but that's how I plan on doing it.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    My boys started shooting at 3. They used a Red Ryder BB gun with a cut down stock so it fit them. By 5 they were shooting a Cricket 22. By age 9 they had both killed deer hunting with a muzzle loader. We have a range in the back yard. Any time they wanted to shoot, we would shoot. Being able to do something anytime you want by merely asking removes the mystery and curiosity to try to sneak a peek or hold of a gun. I don't think that gun safety and knowledge can begin to soon.

Dirty Steve

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I have five grandsons. We established a tradition that as each reached their 13th birthday I would present them with a .22 rifle. Of course prior to that they had BB guns. It has worked out well and I have one left who knows when he is 13 Grampa will be there with a rifle for him. I respect the opinions of others, but I think the youngest should be a level headed 10 year old. JMHO

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    My oldest son is 9 now and has been learning the past two years, with a BB Gun, .22 bolt and muzzleloader. He was pretty good at age 7 starting, but my second son is not. He is learning but isn't as comfortable with it. I think it depends on the child. I'm not pushing the younger boy, only teaching the safety and mechanics.

Top Bottom