• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Springfield fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Seymour
    Let me start by saying I am a left handed shooter and I am right eye dominant. I have been carrying and shooting 1911's for about 12 years and two weeks ago I bought my first Glock. I love that gun but I don't shoot it as accurately as I would like. I am consistently hitting to the right, even from a rested aim. I know it is me and not the gun because others who fired it hit the center of the target with ease. The sight picture looks good to me all the way through the trigger press so I am wondering if any other shooters out there have experienced difficulty adjusting to Glocks and what I might do to fix my problem.
    Thanks INGO!

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    its a glock

USE THE FORCE

darth-vader-face.jpg

but seriously for you, you might need to get the rear sight adjusted for you. just because other people can hit center mass doesn't meen everyone will. As you stated you are a southpaw and right eye dominant so you have other things coming into play when you are aiming like how you have to hold the gun across your body to look down the sights.

Last edited:

SAMSON

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Indy, Southside
    Hitting right? Rotate left!

I am also cross-eye dominant and once had the same problem in reverse. I would recommend rotating your left hand counter-clockwise a tiny bit and then shooting.

This could be the most profoundly brilliant advice I've seen in many a year. Short and to the point!

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    The trigger on a factory glock is no where near the 1911's. It will take a little more time getting used to it. I just dried fire the **** out of it for a few weeks. It's all center mass now.:D

Kveldulf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Tippecanoe County
    This could be the most profoundly brilliant advice I've seen in many a year. Short and to the point!
    Thanks, Samson! It's not easy being cross-eye dominant. We tend to reach across our body to shoot to line the sights up more with our good eye, which tends to rotate the bottom of the wrist of the dominant hand outward. So while the OP has used 1911s with great success over the years, the dramatic change in grip angle and/or size when switching to a Glock could be causing his wrist to rotate.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    The grip difference is too large for me to get used to. I want a Glock 20SF and a 21SF, so my solution is a grip reduction. I am undecided on having somebody else do it or doing it myself. Either way, its out of Glock warranty afterwards.

Kelzo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    I am left eye dominant and right handed. My insructor had me rotate my body to the left a little.

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    Is your thumb on your right hand putting any pressure on the frame. If not you need to apply pressure. This will help stop the moving to the right of the pistol while you are squeezing the trigger.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Are you riding the trigger and only letting it go to the reset position? Or are you letting the trigger all the way out to the original position? Pinning the trigger back and only letting it out until you get the click at reset will greatly shorten the trigger pull on the second and therefore minimize the mistake during trigger control.

You are not pressing the trigger straight to the rear but pushing across as well. Pretty common. Adjust your finger on the trigger slightly and press straight back.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Are you riding the trigger and only letting it go to the reset position? Or are you letting the trigger all the way out to the original position? Pinning the trigger back and only letting it out until you get the click at reset will greatly shorten the trigger pull on the second and therefore minimize the mistake during trigger control.

You are not pressing the trigger straight to the rear but pushing across as well. Pretty common. Adjust your finger on the trigger slightly and press straight back.
    EXACTLY! The trigger reach and pull of the Glock is longer than a 1911, probably causing youto pull ACROSS and no just back.

Roger Phillips

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Las Vegas
    It sound like too little trigger finger on the trigger to me.

Too little trigger finger pushes the gun over. Too much trigger finger pulls the gun over.

The starting point on the trigger is at the center of the finger print swirls. If you still shoot to the right put more finger on the trigger.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    You're probably pulling the trigger like you do on a 1911. You can't do that. It pulls the pistol out of alignment.

In your case, you're not putting enough finger on the trigger. It's not a 1911; it's a junk trigger. Use the first joint of your trigger finger.

This may help:

shooti2-l.gif

Josh

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    You're probably pulling the trigger like you do on a 1911. You can't do that. It pulls the pistol out of alignment.

In your case, you're not putting enough finger on the trigger. It's not a 1911; it's a junk trigger. Use the first joint of your trigger finger.

This may help:

Josh

Always heard the pad of the trigger finger on glocks! The joint seems to cuase most to shoot low and to one side depending on which hand of course.

OP, practice and it will come. When you dry fire at home do it till the sight pic dosen't move during the entire pull. when you get to that point place an empty casing on top the slide and dry fire till stays put. When you get both you should be able to shoot that glock very well. I used this method with my wife and my girls and it worked very well. :twocents: for what it's worth.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Always heard the pad of the trigger finger on glocks! The joint seems to cuase most to shoot low and to one side depending on which hand of course.

OP, practice and it will come. When you dry fire at home do it till the sight pic dosen't move during the entire pull. when you get to that point place an empty casing on top the slide and dry fire till stays put. When you get both you should be able to shoot that glock very well. I used this method with my wife and my girls and it worked very well. :twocents: for what it's worth.

Not necessarily.

I have big hands and have to use the joint like if I'm firing a DA revolver.

With a 1911, I tell people to start with the very tip and work their way in until it's comfortable and provides best results.

With Glocks, or any other junk trigger, I tell people to start with the joint and work their way out until it feels comfortable and gets best results.

(A revolver is a whole different breed, esp a S&W K Frame. Smooth and buttery, but seemingly made to be fired using the distal joint in DA mode.)

Josh

Top Bottom