• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    i was just wondering what ammo others carry as far as personal protection ammo or do you carry just regular target ammo. ive had a few guys tell me that if im going to carry then i should only shoot with what im going to carry. i just wasnt sure it was a smart move to carry regual target ammo vs personal protection ammo.
    other part of this is personal protection is sooo much more expensive to shoot with all the time.

(i carry a glock 23 gen 4)

stchas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Terrible Haute
    I train with whatever I get a good price on. Randomly I'll dump a couple mags of SD ammo. Normally I carry Hornady Critical Defense. Right now I'm loaded up with the new ZMax, basically the same thing though.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Hornady Critical Defense.

But, I will target with just about anything and verify the gun will cycle the SD ammo reliably. No need to exclusively use it at the range. Flipside though-use SD ammo for carry. Many reasons including reduced risk of through and troughs that can potentially harm an innocent.

bab2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    SW Fort Wayne
    ~ ive had a few guys tell me that if im going to carry then i should only shoot with what im going to carry.
    (i carry a glock 23 gen 4)

It is possible you misunderstood the "few guys". FMJ typically will exit leaving the same size hole as it created when it entered. Hollow points are to expand and penetrate, with a slower exit if any.

I practice with FMJ, 115 and 124 (9MM). I carry Speer Gold Dots 124 +P.

It is important to know your handgun will handle the selected carry ammo and placing 50 round down range with confidence is very important, that is in addition to (opinions vary) 500 - 1000 rounds of like charged practice ammo to be certain you know how it will function in your handgun and to clear faults if they occur.

Practice at dusk or in dark settings as well, flash will be different for ammo and gun, affecting your night vision, you want to know this data as well. You want no surprises if you MUST utilize the tool to protect you and love ones.

If you have not, obtain training, for home defense and self defense, is another great investment to compliment your training and get the most out of your firearm purchase.

Last edited:

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Currently using Golden Saber, it was inexpensive. 124 and 147 grain 9mm. After I run through this (mag or so when I hit the range, still have a few boxes) i'm going to try out some Federal.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    It is possible you misunderstood the "few guys". FMJ typically will exit leaving the same size hole as it created when it entered. Hollow points are to expand and penetrate, with a slower exit if any.

I practice with FMJ, 115 and 124 (9MM). I carry Speer Gold Dots 124 +P.

It is important to know your handgun will handle the selected carry ammo and placing 50 round down range with confidence is very important, that is in addition to (opinions vary) 500 - 1000 rounds of like charged practice ammo to be certain you know how it will function in your handgun and to clear faults if they occur.

Practice at dusk or in dark settings as well, flash will be different for ammo and gun, affecting your night vision, you want to know this data as well. You want no surprises if you MUST utilize the tool to protect you and love ones.

If you have not, obtain training, for home defense and self defense, is another great investment to compliment your training and get the most out of your firearm purchase.

thanks for all the info from every body.

and that is a good idea to practice at dusk. i will do that tomorrow night and get a feel for it. my wife and i both will be taking some training this spring and summer on some pistol coarses. i have had guns all my life but never really had any tactical type training. just to clarify i do carry sd ammo and practice with other ammo but i just wanted to get others oppinions.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    HST... When you care enough to send the very best!

9mmhstgk1.jpg

hsttacticalle40it0.gif

If your bullets don't look like this every time they hit, you may want to rethink your brand.

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Golden Sabres in the Glock. Regular Remington H. P.s in all the rest. I have two other 1911 mags with Winchester Silver Tip as well....

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I run either federal Hydra-shok or winchester silver tips in my 1911s. Federal hi-shocks in my 9mms, CCI gold dots in my .38, mainly because they are about half the price. Recently I have started using Fiocci extrema in my 380s, and have been happy with what I have seen.

As far as what I use for target practice, I use typical target ammo that has similar performance to my carry ammo. As long as I do not have to adjust my point of aim while practicing, I am happy.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    .40 Federal Hydrashok.

Thinking about trying out some Golden Sabre or Ranger SXT though.

Getting used to your defense rounds is good, but I'd test fire enough of them to get used to your gun's reaction to them and make sure they work for you. But then I'd go for FMJ rounds for normal shooting practice.

weaverml34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Right now I carry Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P. I'm probably going to buy Winchester Ranger T 127 grain +P+ the next go around. I've found a place that I can buy either round in LE packs which make it a lot cheaper than what you can buy them for at local retailers.

Top Bottom