• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I carry Hornady Critical Defense. I practice with the cheapest and carry the more expensive. I would not carry rounds that are not meant to be used for SD. Reason is I went to the range one time. Had been carrying some generic HP rounds. I decided to shoot the rounds that were in the gun first. The first round I shot I had unburned gun powder block back in my face. It was a good thing i had my glasses on and not in a SD situation! I believe the reason that this happened is plinking rounds aren't designed to be carried and deal with the sweat and abuse on a daily basis. So I will continue to carry the Hornady Critical Defense rounds.

elim9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2011
    NWI
    I was told by a firearms instructor to find out what your local law enforcement carries and carry what they do. The reason is if you ever have to use it and wind up in a legal mess they can't say you purposely used special ammo to cause harm to their client.

Never use reloaded ammo either!

Last edited:

Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County
    i was just wondering what ammo others carry as far as personal protection ammo or do you carry just regular target ammo. ive had a few guys tell me that if im going to carry then i should only shoot with what im going to carry. i just wasnt sure it was a smart move to carry regual target ammo vs personal protection ammo.
    other part of this is personal protection is sooo much more expensive to shoot with all the time.

(i carry a glock 23 gen 4)
    Hornady Critical Defense in 40S&W, I practice with winchester white box. Both shoot to same point at 25ft. I shoot and carry a Kahr.
    Bill...

buzzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    I just carry practice ammo because they will be just as dead with that as with the other.

bab2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    SW Fort Wayne
    I was told by a firearms instructor to find out what your local law enforcement carries and carry what they do. The reason is if you ever have to use it and wind up in a legal mess they can't say you purposely used special ammo to cause harm to their client.
    +1, told the same by my instructor and also by two LEO that share association duties with.

I just carry practice ammo because they will be just as dead with that as with the other.
    Yes, if you are lucky and hit vitals the first time and add five or six more, with hope that bone or heavy denim stops the pass through rounds.

I have read, victim attorney's just love it if FMJ are used, provides them a client usually, and demonstrates lack of training in many situations.

IIRC even ammo boxes have in fine print, the purpose of the round, always stick with SD type rounds for carry. FMJ usually indicate range or target.

Greeper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    I have 3 clips for my G19(Gen4).

I keep Remington hollows in the mag I carry in the gun and the cheapest range ammo in the other two. When I hit the range, I'll shoot out the hollows and put that mag away, then shoot out of the 2 remaining mags, and reload with whatever I bought that day. When there's only 30 rounds left of whatever I bought, I'll load up the two spares, load up more hollows in the carry mag and go home. Then, I'm buying hollows every 4th trip to the range.

Not sure if this is a good strategy, but it works for me.:dunno:

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I used to carry Federal Hydra Shock, but I lost all of it along with all of my firearms in a freak boating accident.

Since the , I don't carry anything.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Handloads, only, in everything. Some have my own cast bullets in them too.

Velocities match police department ammo for each caliber. No one will assemble my personal defense ammo with more care and concern for those it is formulated to protect than me.

It isn't illegal, yet, altough some have said it isn't too wise. Okay, been accused of that before too! ;)

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Everyday carry is a Kahr CW45 or a Glock 36. In winter Corbon pow'rballs, 165 grain +p in summer Ranger sxt (upgrade from the original Black Talon). Just bought some Halo Points from Liberty Ammo, 78 grain and a velocity greater than 1900 fps. That is approaching carbine speed. Kinetic energy is greater than 500 FPE and about 33% less recoil.;)

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Speer vs FHS vs Hornady Critical Defense

Currently, I use the Hornady Critical Defense round in my XD9SC. I actually use the HCD for my 38 special S&W Mod 10 as well.

I was talking with a friend in a gun shop the other day and he was telling me that the Speer Gold Dot was more effective in the 9mm than the Hornady CD rounds. Since then, I have been debating in my mind which SD round to use.

I am also quite curious about the Hydra Shok rounds. Because of the velocity of a 9mm, I really would like to be sure the round coming out of my gun in a SD situation is going to have both penetration and what I call "splat factor."

What say you?

Top Bottom