What are the must have upgrades for RIA 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cintile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    After a couple weeks of talking to folks and researching reviews. I've decided that the entry level 1911 I want to get is the RIA 1911 .45. (Now I just have to locate one).

I've also found the grips that I want to get, although I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking at the Pchmayr American Legend grips, Heritae Walnut.

I was curious if anyone had other suggestions of things I should add to the list of worthy upgrades to make? This needs to be upgrades I can do myself, I don't want to have to send anything off.

Looking forward to the wisdom and input from those of you who are veteran 1911 users. Thanks!!

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Shoot the gun the way it is and enjoy it . just about everything that you change has to be fitted including the amby safety

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I did my research prior to purchasing my first 1911 as you have done. I opted for the Remington R1. It is upgraded from eh original WW2 1911 with some improved sights, and a few other refinements. I shoot it just as it came from the box. I suggest you do the same with your RIA. The basic entry level 1911 is good to go. The original was great. Add those minor upgrades, as most of the major manufacturers have done, and this great weapon is still good to go. Just go shoot it!!

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My only suggestion is: get the tactical version. I got one and love it (I got the original tactical version). The only thing I changed was put Hogue grips with finger grooves on it. It shoots great and I practice it with my left hand (weak hand). The only gripe I have is this has the bull barrel and it is very hard to remove and clean.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Whatever you do, don't put more in it than it's worth. You may as well just get a better quality firearm in the first place.

WarJunky91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2016
    Decatur
    I bought a RIA 1911 on Black Friday 2015. I love the gun. I got the M1911A1-FS model. I think they did a little re-branding since they made mine as i can't find my exact model on their website, but it would basically be their full sized tactical model, but with the standard dovetail sights and not the fiber optics. I have to say the trigger on the gun is absolutely amazing, I have never handled a high dollar 1911 so i can't really compare it to say a match grade trigger, but after the initial take up it is a nice solid clean break. I picked mine up for something like $500-$550 at Rural King. I thought about going for the standard GI model as i believe its about $50 to $100 cheaper, but I really don't regret spending the little extra to have the upgrades and the ability to change sights, i am glad i spent the extra money. Other than maybe upgrading the sights i don't feel anything on the gun needs upgrading.

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    I have the two-tone tactical model. Fired 500rds to break it in. Once in a while would have a failure to load. Took it to Neil Keller in Decatur, Kustom Ballistics. Had basic tune up done, and true novak lo light sights installed. Just over 2500rds fired with no failure what so ever.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    The best upgrades I ever did to my entry level 1911 is take a file and some sandpaper and knock down the hard edges and applying grip tape. That and stocking up on magazines.

I'm not one for ambitious safeties on a 1911. Too easy to disengage carrying right handed. I can still manipulate a standard safety with my left hand.

Top Bottom