• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I recently resurrected an old thread on this topic. Some people have responded with similar ideas there. Mine:

1. Fitness and conditioning. I travel extensively for work. I am commonly sitting in the car, in airports, or working long hours at remote locations for 2-3 weeks at a time. Due to this I've gotten lazy. I rarely work out and I eat convenience foods that do nothing good for my health. One of my goals is to slowly transition my diet to healther foods and work out consistently, even if its push ups and jumping jacks in my hotel room. My main problem has been the mentality that if I can't do some set routine consistently I wont bother starting until I can. I need to do whatever I can when I have time, and not worry about it not fitting in to some grand scheme. Any activity is going to be better than no activity.

2. Medical training. I've taken hundreds of hours of training classes in the past five years and only about 20 or so hours of medical training. With this in mind, I intend to focus on medical training next year. I haven't selected specific classes but I will find some and I will devote some training time and dollars to the subject.

3. Empty hand skills. I haven't had a lot of martial arts experience. This year I attended the Suarez 0-5 ft class. This coupled with a couple other experiences has really brought those gaps to the forefront of my attention. Due to the travel schedule mentioned above, I find it difficult to get in to a dojo or a gym with any consistency. I intend to look for short-duration seminars on contact-distance topics. Those may include empty hand, knife skills, impact weapons, or retention.

Last edited:

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Training classes:
    Patriot Nurse course
    NRA Basic Pistol, Basic Rifle, RSO
    Mindset Lab Dynamic FoF and Flashlight Combative
    Other TBD

Physical:
    Lose 30 pounds (already lost 50)
    Run a marathon
    Break a 28 minute 5k (29:47 current record)
    Set up a home gym in my garage so I don't have excuses not to work out.

Other:
    Attend my first IDPA or USPSA match
    Take a reloading class at my local range

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    I want to make 2014 a big training year for myself. Find it hard to find and keep track of what's available and whats coming as far as training opportunities. Guess I meed to come up with a list of instructors\companies that I'm interested in training with and start scheduling things. I have a few in mind but suggestions or threads with suggestions would be appreciated.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    In all seriousness. Every year I put down written goals for my training. I have since 1998. Every year. Its one page. On it I have the number of times I will go to the range (minimum-I always exceed that), the number of times I will train with my crew on team tactics, how many times I will get out and practice bushcraft by myself or with other people, how many times I will work on force on force, how many professional classes I will attend, how often I dryfire (48x a year or once a week) how many times I will fight/spar etc, how many crew FTXs I will attend, and so on.

I also have single events on there, like One 18 hour adventure race, one ropes session, or get recertified in Red Cross 1st aid/CPR. Each year I evaluate any gaps in my training, so for example one year I set about to round out my exposure and familarity with different vehicles. It had been a while since I drove a stick, or a box truck, or an ATV. So I made it a priority to drive anything I could get my hands on that year, ATVs, horses, motor boats, trucks, sports cars, motorcycles and so on.

At the bottom I track books and dvds I have read that add to my base of knowledge.

This year, my training goals looks about the same for range time, field training, classes etc but I have added my HAM license and 1st aid, CPR, AED and 02 training.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I decided this thread would be more useful if it was updated with periodic status updates. This way, I can use it as a tracking mechanism for my goals.

I may also increase my participation in competitive shooting events.

Pursuant to this goal, I participated in two USPSA matches this weekend. The first one was pretty ugly, but I had a fun time. The second one was better. I have USPSA and Steel Challenge matches on my calendar for the next three weekends. I'll make them if I can fit it in to my travel schedule. I have some of Coach's Instructional Leagues on my calendar as well.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I decided this thread would be more useful if it was updated with periodic status updates. This way, I can use it as a tracking mechanism for my goals.

Pursuant to this goal, I participated in two USPSA matches this weekend. The first one was pretty ugly, but I had a fun time. The second one was better. I have USPSA and Steel Challenge matches on my calendar for the next three weekends. I'll make them if I can fit it in to my travel schedule. I have some of Coach's Instructional Leagues on my calendar as well.

Where did you shoot this weekend Jackson?
    I might be interested if it's within a 3 hour drive

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Right there with you Jackson. We can encourage each other. Two weekends ago it was IDPA. Next weekend USPSA, and then the following weekend IDPA again. This will be followed up on Feb. 15th with private instruction from Coach.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Where did you shoot this weekend Jackson?
    I might be interested if it's within a 3 hour drive

I'm working in North Carolina right now. Its about a 10 hour drive. Probably a little outside of your radius. :) I expect to be back in Indy at the end of February. I hope so, anyway. That's why I'm planning to hit Coach's league shoots.

Folks here were pretty welcoming. Saturday was a pretty small match. Maybe 20 shooters. The second was more like 70 people. I liked the smaller one better. It was just more fun and laid back.

Top Bottom