What brand of pickup truck do you drive?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What brand(s) of pickup truck do you drive?

• Total voters

spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    That's interesting... what makes synthetic the "secret to longevity"? Sure, it's better, but it is "better enough to make a difference"?

I've never run a wix filter, and never run synthetic unless the manual called for it, and I have 2 vehicles over 200K; coincidentally, it's my GMC truck that has 320k on it without ever having had synthetic or wix filters... just proper maintenance with the oil called for in the manual...

I always let my vehicles do the talking. If i would just listen to them more often. The synthetics for me was a no brainer. I ran mobile one from new(actually after 15,000 to make sure the motor was broke in) to over 300,000 in my F-150, had to switch to walmart synthetic due to my financial situation. I have over 554,000 on it now. The biggest thing is the filter and to me the WIX brand is the best hands down. Had a 95 Saturn Dohc SC2 bought from hertz rent a car with 24,000 miles retired it this year with 452,000 miles. Yes the motor was tired but a sub-frame rust issue is what killed it. What 4 banger wouldn't be tired. Air filters are also a major contributor to dirt in a motor. I always change the oil religiously at 6,000 miles and air filters at 20,000. If you take care of the motor on these new vehicles the bodies will rust away before the engines quit. Just my humble opinion though ymmv

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I'm on my 7th Chevy truck in the last 44 years. My latest, an '07 Silverado LTZ just clicked over 160K and is still humming along.

And my first stop after leaving the dealer was Jiffy Lube to drain the factory oil and fill it with full synthetic. Been running Pennzoil Platinum and WIX filters in it ever since.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I always let my vehicles do the talking. If i would just listen to them more often. The synthetics for me was a no brainer. I ran mobile one from new(actually after 15,000 to make sure the motor was broke in) to over 300,000 in my F-150, had to switch to walmart synthetic due to my financial situation. I have over 554,000 on it now. The biggest thing is the filter and to me the WIX brand is the best hands down. Had a 95 Saturn Dohc SC2 bought from hertz rent a car with 24,000 miles retired it this year with 452,000 miles. Yes the motor was tired but a sub-frame rust issue is what killed it. What 4 banger wouldn't be tired. Air filters are also a major contributor to dirt in a motor. I always change the oil religiously at 6,000 miles and air filters at 20,000. If you take care of the motor on these new vehicles the bodies will rust away before the engines quit. Just my humble opinion though ymmv
    My point was that you DON'T have to spring for expensive synthetic oil and filter to get a car to last to the point that the body rusts away from the drive-train. Using regular oil and quality filter you will reach the point that everything else is falling apart long before the engine.

I'm guessing by your mileage numbers you drive an insane number of miles per year. Highway miles? Highway miles are always easier on a car. Your car with 500k highway miles may have less "wear & tear" than a car with 200k miles that never left the city... I'm not saying that synthetic & wix are bad. They are both very good. But are you actually running in a way that demands synthetic oil and premium filter? Definitely not. As a matter of fact, the most easily argued benefit to synthetic oils is that they don't break down easily so you can get many more miles out of them, some run 15,000 mi intervals; yet you say you changed oil at 6k religiously... My point was you were wasting money on "extra" that you didn't actually need. That's just my humble opinion based upon a LONG track record of high-mileage vehicles...

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    GMC here. Owned 4 myself, many more in the family growing up. Our '06 is the baby with 80k miles. Dad's 03 now has 208k. Did have to rebuild the trans on it last fall at 190k.

And since this is worthless without pics:

corvette_005.jpg

Bobs_camera_6-2010_vacation_190.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Is anyone driving a Dodge with one of those new 9-speed transmissions? I've heard from some owners that they're getting really good mileage with them. If they prove to be reliable over the long term . . . I'll get one, as long as GM/Chevrolet or maybe Ford start using them too. Heh.

GM 10 speeds ought to be on the market within the year, maybe 2016 :shady:

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Chevy/gmc pretty much the same. I've got an 06 Chevy duramax and an 04 gmc duramax and an 07 suburban. All black of course.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My point was that you DON'T have to spring for expensive synthetic oil and filter to get a car to last to the point that the body rusts away from the drive-train. Using regular oil and quality filter you will reach the point that everything else is falling apart long before the engine.

I'm guessing by your mileage numbers you drive an insane number of miles per year. Highway miles? Highway miles are always easier on a car. Your car with 500k highway miles may have less "wear & tear" than a car with 200k miles that never left the city... I'm not saying that synthetic & wix are bad. They are both very good. But are you actually running in a way that demands synthetic oil and premium filter? Definitely not. As a matter of fact, the most easily argued benefit to synthetic oils is that they don't break down easily so you can get many more miles out of them, some run 15,000 mi intervals; yet you say you changed oil at 6k religiously... My point was you were wasting money on "extra" that you didn't actually need. That's just my humble opinion based upon a LONG track record of high-mileage vehicles...
    A friend of mine is a retired mechanic and drag racer. He agrees with you. He says the same things that you do and stresses that there is no need for synthetic oil in most vehicles.

spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    A friend of mine is a retired mechanic and drag racer. He agrees with you. He says the same things that you do and stresses that there is no need for synthetic oil in most vehicles.

Yes lotta highway miles on both vehicles my truck 50% of the time either had a 24ft enclosed race car trailer or an 18ft open car trailer. I guess everyone has different views.I am just a poor old hillbilly car nut so I have to spend my money where it gets me the most bang for the buck and this is where I think(as my vehicles have shown me) my money is well spent. This is the wrong thread and I hate that I have thread jacked it. Good luck to everyone

Bigc177

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Westside of Indy
    I've had all Fords 1999 Ranger, 2001, and 2004 F150's. We currently have an 2004 Expedition, and a new / used 2014 F150. Almost wish I would have waited on the 2015 F150, due to the all new 2015 aluminum body F150's coming out next month... Oh well, I got a deal on the '14 that I couldn't pass up!

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    1992 Nissan D21, my Dad bought it brand new and I have had it since 2001. 126,000 miles. replaced brakes a couple times, replaced the muffler a couple times, had a fan belt break was only thing and the most major thing that has happened, daily runner, runs strong. Got a 1999 Chevy Blazer…..would take to much time with all the replaced parts that cheap piece of crap has on it. If they Built a Chevy like they did my Nissan I would have money to burn on other stuff.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Yes lotta highway miles on both vehicles my truck 50% of the time either had a 24ft enclosed race car trailer or an 18ft open car trailer. I guess everyone has different views.I am just a poor old hillbilly car nut so I have to spend my money where it gets me the most bang for the buck and this is where I think(as my vehicles have shown me) my money is well spent. This is the wrong thread and I hate that I have thread jacked it. Good luck to everyone

No problems... I'm just as guilty of the thread-jacking... but I'm an unapologetic thread-jacker... haha

If you see that it's a good bang for your buck to buy synthetic and premium filters for your daily drivers that's all that matters. It's your money, you work to earn it, only YOU can make the decision on what is best for you, and if something does go wrong, it's you that has to pay for it... nothing wrong with that.

You keep using synthetic, I'll keep using standard oil, and we'll both live in harmony ok?

Except for the Ford vs. Chevy thing... Ford sucks... :)~

spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    No problems... I'm just as guilty of the thread-jacking... but I'm an unapologetic thread-jacker... haha

If you see that it's a good bang for your buck to buy synthetic and premium filters for your daily drivers that's all that matters. It's your money, you work to earn it, only YOU can make the decision on what is best for you, and if something does go wrong, it's you that has to pay for it... nothing wrong with that.

You keep using synthetic, I'll keep using standard oil, and we'll both live in harmony ok?

Good one I can get along with anyone that can take some ribbing.
    round this neck of the woods we like to say"only sissy's and fags wear bowties"
    Just kidding I like them all even Pacers. Someone should start a vehicle thread about your best cars and how they treated you or what was your worst car. Good thread as always gotta love Ingo

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    GM 10 speeds ought to be on the market within the year, maybe 2016 :shady:

Hmm . . .

By the time they prove they are reliable and durable enough for league play, I should be able to afford a used 2016 model in oh, say, 2026. YES!!!

I'm not a tribology expert, and I do scrutinize manufacture's claims with skepticism. However, it seems like a small additional cost over the lifetime of a vehicle to be able to go longer 3-5K miles between changes. I get my Mobil 1 at Walmart in 5 quart jugs for about $27.

rudyman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    dekalb co.
    I have owned Chevy trucks since 1980 when I got my license . First one a 65 3/4 ton ,next a 76 3/4 ton 4x4 ,a 1981 4x4 , a 1991 4x4, a 2001 4x4 ext cab and now a 2010 ext cab 4x4. My only complaints are the 76 only got 8 mpg ,the 2001 tranny went out at 210000 mi. I have never been with out a truck since I got my licence in high school . I have kept most well past their prime but as long as nothing was unsafe I drove them to death. I bought my son a ford ranger (2003) used w /130000 miles when he got his licence , he is a sophomore at college still drives it. Oil changes at 3000 miles good air filters reg maint,. They run for ever!!!! Just my experience.

Top Bottom