• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which bullpup firearm would you choose?

• Total voters

lumpagus1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Ossian
    Bullpup firearms have always intrigued me, I've never owned or shot one but I've had the itch to buy one for awhile...just haven't yet. Anyway I want to know which bullpup firearm you like the most (if you're a bullpup owner) or which bullpup you wish you had (for those of us who don't own one). There is a good chance I didn't put the bullpup firearm you want or like so please just comment on which rifle it is that I overlooked. I want to know your opinions, it helps me for when I finally decide to give in and purchase one.

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    TAVOR. Looks nice, good enough for the IDF more than good enough for me. +I like IDF stuff. Hope to buy one before too long. Of the others listed I kinda like the AUG but dont like it enough for the going price.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I prefer 7.62 and I'm a lefty, so I am interested in the RFB. Have heard some horror stories about it being a very picky eater. Of the other three, I would go with the TAVOR.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've never owned or shot one but I've had the itch to buy one for awhile

I've got the FS2000 with an ACOG and Red Dot and the MSAR (Styer clone). I just sold the 7.62 Kel-Tec RFB. I'm in Ft Wayne and if you'd like to shoot the FS2000 or the MSAR, Roush Range isn't too far away. Send me a PM if you want to try either or both and we can set a date and time to meet.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    The Tavor: It is not going to be here until spring at the earliest, so while it is interesting, it isn't here. Pass.

The FS2000: It feels odd to me with the wide forend, although maybe it can be changed. It also creeps me out having to open a door to access the breech. That may be much ado about nothing, but then again, maybe not. From poking around the FN Forums, it looks like people end up changing a fair amount (sights, forend, etc) so maybe buying the rifle is just the start. Pass.

RFB: I have read a lot of negatives, but the two people I actually know who have them love them. One is a guy who, shall we say, can have just about any gun he wants and has had most of them. He keeps the RFB by the bed. With his experience and means, his choosing one as his go-to rifle surprised and impressed me.
    But while I love the .308 and shoot more of it than .223, I see a bullpup as an indoor gun and think I'd prefer the .223 there. I would be curious to see a .223 RFB if they ever made such a thing.

I bought a new AUG. I used to hate them, but came around after I actually examined it instead of just looking at it. Many of the supposed faults are not quite as bad as they are made out to be.
    Yes, it takes longer to change the mag, but it's a fraction of a second and I don't really expect to be going through 42-round AUG mags very often.
    Yes, the trigger is 9 lbs, but it's surprisingly crisp and I can still stay on a paper plate at 100 yards offhand.
    Shooting from the left shoulder is not "impossible" as some claim. If I have to do this, I can do a couple of things to keep brass out of my face, or I can just suck it up and live with brass bouncing off my nose which will seem insignificant compared to the bullets flying. It's a temporary thing, and it isn't much different from standing in a line of shooters in a carbine class. I wouldn't want to shoot it from the off shoulder all the time, but if that were the situation I'd convert it to LH ejection.
    Yes, the AUG weighs more than a base AR. It is a freakin' pig. But the weight is more rearward so I am able to do a lot more practice shots from low ready with my crippled-up back before a break. If I were humping it to Terre Haute, it would matter, but I'm not. I only have to lift it from beside the bed if a window breaks at 3am.
    Aside from the usually named things like those, it's got some good points rarely mentioned or noticed. It is a pretty reliable carbine, that you rarely, if ever, hear of having failures. I think it's easier to strip than an AK. While it is heavier than many 5.56 carbines, it's fairly robust inside too. There is a lot of metal in there, and any wear point in the receiver has a steel bushing or liner pressed in. The stock shape feels good. One thing I never thought about before but noticed after having one is how smooth the exterior is- There aren't many bumps, levers, etc sticking out the sides to catch on a chest rig, or holstered handgun, or clothes when grabbing it out of the closet in the middle of the night or whatever.

lumpagus1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Ossian
    I completely forgot about the PS90 as a bullpup. I voted Steyr AUG but really I wouldn't mind having any of the above mentioned except for maybe the RFB because I don't shoot much 7.62. The AUG seems like a solid rifle, as several people have stated that it's not ideal for support side firing but I don't spend much time shooting from my support side. The only thing I'm not high on with the AUG is that you have to wrap your thumb around the foregrip otherwise the barrel will fry your thumb off. I've started to notice the FS2000 dropping in price. In 2009 before I left for Iraq it was at about $2,100, when I got back 4 months later is was about $2,600 (if I remember correctly). I've gradually watched it drop in price back down to about $2,100 on ImpactGuns.com. I don't really know enough about the TAVOR to make it my preferred choice. If it lives up to the reputation of other Israeli made weapons such as the Desert Eagle & Galil then I'm extremely curious to handle and shoot it and find out for myself. Israelis don't mess around when it comes to their firearms, if it comes out of Israel I trust that it is a reliable, well made, defensive rifle. I'm just looking forward to the day that the TAVOR becomes available in the states. If I had to rank them in order of "want" it'd be as such:

1. Steyr AUG
    2. IWI TAVOR
    3. FN PS90 (I know I forgot to list it)
    4. FN FS2000
    5. Kel-Tec RFB

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    11/14/2012

Hands on with the FS2000

by Chris Upchurch, Suarez International Director of Marketing

I have to admit, it took a while for me to really warm up to the FS2000. When one came in for Gabe back in August, my first thought was ‘wow, what a space-gun looking thing’. I handled it a bit and it seemed very odd and unfamiliar. It just has such a different layout and different controls that it was way outside my previous experience. As much as we make of the difference between, say, an AK and and AR, they both use basically the same layout. By comparison a bullpup, particularly one like the FS2000, is pretty out there.
    A few weeks after my initial encounter with the FS2000 we were out shooting some video on the SIG 556 rifles. Gabe also brought along his FS2000 and I had a chance to shoot it. It still seemed a bit strange, but I have to say it shot nicely and handled well. Gabe was pretty enthusiastic about the rifle. This really made me take another look at the concept.
    Towards the end of September we got some FS2000s in stock at OST. I’d been thinking more and more about it, and Tom made me a pretty good deal on it, so I decided to buy one. At this point I was thinking that this would be a bit of a specialty rifle for things like CQB and vehicle operations where its short overall length would really be an advantage.

That weekend was the Guerrilla Sniper II class. Gabe brought his FS2000 along, topped with an ACOG and fed some 75 grain match ammo. Using this configuration both he and I got hits out to 500 yards. This using a rifle that’s shorter than many SBRs. At this point I was starting to broaden my thinking about this little rifle and appreciate its capabilities.
    The following Monday, I picked up my own FS2000. Shooting it would have to wait a bit until I picked up some .223 ammunition, but I immediately began doing some dry work with it.

While the obvious feature of a bullpup is it’s short overall length, the thing that really grabs you when you pick up an FS2000 is how well balanced it is. It balances right at the handgrip, making it exceedingly easy to shift it from shoulder to shoulder. You can even shoulder the FS2000 one handed, which really opens up some interesting possibilities when getting off the X.
    The FS2000 is very compact. Despite having a 17.4“ barrel, it’s roughly the same length as a SBR with a 10” barrel. This makes it exceedingly well suited to CQB, vehicular operations, and other situations involving confined spaces. I’ve practiced clearing my house several times with the FS2000, something it is exceedingly well suited for. It has the capabilities of an SBR, without all the NFA paperwork. In tight places that are a problem for a full length rifle it eliminates the difficulty. I’ve also played with this a bit from the inside of my car. It’s manageable even in a mid-size sedan.
    Despite it’s rather different control setup, conceptually the FS2000 runs much like the AK. To load, mag in, run the bolt (make sure you give the mag a tug to ensure it’s seated). There is no last-round bolt hold-open, so you’ll get a click instead of a bang when the mag runs dry. Mag out (just hit the mag release with the top of your index finger as you grab the mag) new mag in, run the bolt.
    One of the most important things that training with (and teaching for) Suarez International has taught me is the vital importance of complete ambidexterity. It’s gotten to a point where not being able to run a weapon on either side is really a deal breaker for me. Most bullpup systems don’t work particularly well from the support side shoulder. There are ways to adapt to this, but they’re not really what you’d call optimal. The FS2000 is an exception to the general rule. With it’s forward ejection system, it works equally well from either side.

The charging handle is on the left side, so it’s very easy to run when you’re shooting from the right shoulder. Running it on the left shoulder is no problem, it’s like a mirror image of how we run the AK charging handle. The mag release is located just forward of the magwell and is completely ambidextrous. The magwell location takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, mag changes are very natural. The bottom inch or so of the magwell is beveled into a funnel, making it very easy to guide a mag in.
    Perhaps the most unusual of the controls is the safety. It’s a plate at the base of the trigger that pivots right and left. The design is rather clever, allowing you to push or pull from either side. To take the rifle off safe, you push with your right finger or pull with your left. To put the safety back on, pull with the right or push with the left. This definitely does take some getting used to.
    One change I made to the rifle was to substitute a tri-rail handguard for the plastic handguard that comes with the gun. One of the big reasons I did this was to allow for a light mount. I intend to use this as a house gun (among other things) and in this role a rifle really needs a light. The railed handguard also allows for a vertical foregrip. On most conventional rifles I’m not a big fan of the VFG, because of the way it interferes with the floating support hand. On the FS2000, however, there’s really only one place your hand can go, given the short fore-end. Since the FS2000 doesn’t have a magwell in front of the handgrip, the VFG effectively replaces it in some of our weapon manipulations.
    With a big pile of ammo in-hand I headed out to the range to put this rifle through its paces. I didn’t have an optic on the rifle yet, so I was working with the iron sights. It comes with a picatinny rail mounted front sight and a small flip-up rear. I shot at 100 yards and found I was a couple of inches high, so I figured it was zeroed at a closer distance. When I stepped up to 50, everything was dead on, no adjustments necessary.

The flip-up rear sight is definitely intended only as a back up. With it’s full picatinny rail this is a rifle that’s clearly intended to run an optic. While it’s performance at the GS class clearly shows this gun is capable of reaching out quite a ways, it’s mainly going to be a CQB gun for me, so I’d decided to mount a red dot on it. I had an Aimpoint Micro lying round, which I teamed up with an American Defense QD mount. This arrangement provides a cowitness with the back-up irons just below the center of the optic. I prefer this kind of optic mounted forward, so I put it just behind the front sight (Gabe, on the other hand, prefers it mounted to the rear, and on pictures of his rifle you’ll see it mounted just in front of the rear sight).
    Moving up to about 5 yards, went to work on some point shooting. The front sight assembly works well for Caveman EOTech, and the picatinny rail provides a nice reference point for shooting while looking over the top of the gun. Where it really gets interesting is when you rotate the gun over about 30 degrees. The edge of the receiver is a nice straight line running parallel to the bore. It makes an excellent aiming rail, similar to aiming down the edge of the slide with a handgun. This is particularly nice since the gun tends to roll over like this when shooting one handed. It also provides a great point shooting reference when the top rail is occupied by an optic. In a way, it’s kind of like the offset optic mounts some gun gamers use on their rifles, except these are ambidextrous. The FS2000 is exceptionally well suited to point shooting.

Combine this point shooting ability, excellent balance, and ambidexterity and I think the FS2000 may be the ultimate rifle for the SI close-range rifle curriculum. It handles GOTX angles that are challenging for other rifles with ease. When getting off the X on the rearward lines (5 o’clock and 7 o’clock), it’s easy to roll the rifle over a bit and shoot at some pretty extreme angles. Taking the forward angle on the support side, the gun is so well balanced that you can fire the first few shots one handed with the stock on your primary side shoulder. As the angle gets more extreme, the excellent balance makes this one of the easiest guns to swap shoulders with. I can’t wait to take this gun to Roger Phillips Long Gun Point Shooting Progressions class. I think it may be the ultimate LGPSP gun.

Given its short overall length, the FS2000 really shines in confined spaces, like buildings and vehicles. That said, unlike an SBR this is not just a specialized CQB tool. As Gabe and I proved at the GS class, the FS2000 can do anything a full size 5.56mm rifle can do, including reaching out to extended ranges. This is an extremely versatile rifle, capable of filling a lot of different roles.

BUY FS-2000 WITH TEN MAGAZINES AT ONE SOURCE - SHIPS IMMEDIATELY

Top Bottom