• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Wow many choices to choose from. I like the .243 - with light loads good for varmits, and with heavy loads is also a fine deer round. Now 25-06 that is a round that will do varmits and thin skinned large game.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Seems to be many that are suggesting you go larger (or heavier) than you really need to get out to the 400 yard mark you are looking to get out to. The cost does go up as the caliber and case size goes up, and though .223 is a little difficult to come across at the moment, it is still a very common caliber, easy to reload, and wont break the bank every time you pull the trigger. With practice, and a good platform ( the Rem 700 is an excellent starting point) a .223 will be able to get you out to, and beyond 400 yards with relative ease.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It can't be just me...

I've been wanting a rifle to shoot out farther than my 22's and was going to buy an AR just to add to the fun factor.
    Question is what caliber bolt action would be good for 200-400 yards at the range and maybe some coyote hunting? Would prefer it cost less than a dollar every time I pull the trigger. Also would want a caliber that is easy to find.

It's been some 35+ years gone by now, but I seem to remember having to qualify on a military rifle range at 500 meters, with an M16A2 and iron sights.

We had to be able to continually hit that target with a semi-auto rifle, and mil-surp ammo.

If I can do it, so can you. I'm tired of hearing people say an AR15 is not good out to 500 yards. Try telling that to a Marine Corps. rifle instructor!

Practice, practice, practice...

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    It's been some 35+ years gone by now, but I seem to remember having to qualify on a military rifle range at 500 meters, with an M16A2 and iron sights.

We had to be able to continually hit that target with a semi-auto rifle, and mil-surp ammo.

If I can do it, so can you. I'm tired of hearing people say an AR15 is not good out to 500 yards. Try telling that to a Marine Corps. rifle instructor!

Practice, practice, practice...

I definately believe an AR will shoot at that range. I wish I could get one but I can't pay panic prices for it, rather I refuse. I actually already bought a couple of PMags an afg2 and a soft case for it but that was before people turned a horrible tragedy into a political debate. 223 is not out of the question for me for this rifle either.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Military National Matches are shot at 200, 300 and 600 yards with a service rifle. Current service rifle is the 5.56. That is defined as Medium rifle course. Palma is 800, 900, and 1000. That is considered long range. Past 400 yards quality ammo with heavier bullets really starts to be critical, espcially for the little 5.56.

Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    I was in the same situation as you and was looking for a 22-250 but found what I was looking for in a 223 for an excellent price and jumped on it. I've shot it out to 500 and am happy with it. I'd be perfectly happy with any of the calibers listed though.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have 243,22-250, and a 223. All very good caliburs. I have taken hogs and dogs with them and target shoot and reload. The AR is the only way to go. I would try to find somebody selling one or build your own. They are so versitle and the aftermarket is unbeleivable. It is unfortunate what is going on right now and how people are buying everything up. I got in on it before Obama was elected the first time. I would just hold off until I found what I wanted. Dont settle on a bolt gun unless you dont plan on shooting it much.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    On the other hand you may find a killer deal on a bolt gun right now since nobody wants one. Check out Savage. They make one heck of a barrell and action.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    If you want to shoot on the cheap then stay rimfire. I can shoot out to 300 yards pretty good with a 17hmr. I havent tried it any farther than that. But i can say i have had alot of fun shooting 22lr at longer distances. If you go bigger a 223 can be alot cheaper to shoot than other similiar cartridges in size especially if you buy bulk fmj like pmc or whomever. Its not match ammo but still does pretty good even out of a 16"'AR. And it you want match grade stuff you can get it also.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    223 would be a perfect round for the ranges you listed. Once ammo calms back down or if you decide to reload it would be a perfect package for what your trying to do. 223 loaded with some 69gr or 75gr depending on twist would be more than enough for 300yrds or so. But I will say shooting rimfire that far is alot of fun, Ive took my Savage93FV in 22mag out to 250yrds before somewhat challenging but very rewarding.

muncie1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    My vote is for 270 Winchester. My experience has been that you can still find ammo for it even when all else is sold out (assuming you do not reload)

Pinball81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Great thread. I have had the same question. Have a Colt AR and 10/22, and looking for a relatively inexpensive bolt action. .308 and 270 are top of the list.

Top Bottom