• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    alright so say i am fishing off the bank, and get stopped by dnr. After i show him my fishing license he asks to look into my truck, i dont have the right to refuse the search?

comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    FWIW- several years ago I was talking to the ISP in Terre Haute at the mall when they had some sort of law enforcement thingy..Told them how worthless most COs are and was appalled that they had all the rights of a ISP. The officer just smiled and said that used to be true but now days
    a CO does NOT have all the enforcement of an ISP. He explained how a CO could come to a crime scene and take over since, previously, he was above an ISP. After several botched crime scenes Indiana changed it to where the higher authority is the ISP.
    I think COs should be eliminated. Let the ISP work overtime for those that want to and let them enforce game laws. I have been stopped a few times by a CO and not once were they more than 20 yds from a paved road. Once at Glendale a group down the road went on their thanksgiving pheasant hung over 15 minutes early. When I got back a CO was sitting in the parking lot looking down the road at the parking lot where they were. I put guns and birds in truck and just walked over to say hi..I said those guys got a head start and kinda lol'd. he said he was told that and was watching for them to come to their trucks...OH and by the way, let me see your license...jezzz...I wouldn't have walked up to his car if I wasn't legal...dushbags...

comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    from the CO's I have seen they have a chip on their shoulder and arent very professional..

comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    previously CO's were able to take over if there was a homocide because they were 'above' the ISP with all police authority. They are no longer able to do that. And around here there have been several incidents to people I know and the CO's were blatant dushbags. They are worthless.
    And from personal experience they don't go in the back woods where actual poaching occurs..can't get shoes dirty..

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I see there is the usual CO bashing by some here. Yes, there are some that are a little arrogant, but you will fid that in any law enforcement branch. They are usually weeded out pretty quickly.

All the COs I have had contact with were professionals through and through.

No, they have never been able to "take over a homicide scene".

They are all law enforcement officers and that means all laws..

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    I see there is the usual CO bashing by some here. Yes, there are some that are a little arrogant, but you will fid that in any law enforcement branch. They are usually weeded out pretty quickly.

All the COs I have had contact with were professionals through and through.

No, they have never been able to "take over a homicide scene".

They are all law enforcement officers and that means all laws..

Amen....+1

They also have web site.... ICOO.com

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    All of the CO's I've been around are great.

Same here. I have had more run-ins with CO's than State Police and they have all been both Professional And Courteous.

In fact, a couple years ago while camping and fishing on the Ohio River; my oldest son forgot to bring his fishing license, and the CO checking us out gave him a week to send a copy of it to his personal email and he would drop the ticket. He didn't have to do that. The interaction that evening made such a good impression on my youngest son (6 at the time) that he says he wants to be a Conservation Officer when he grows up.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have met 8 different CO's when afield over the yrs in Indiana.

4 were very professional and decent.
    2 were your typical young know it all hard *sses (who weren't as smart or correct as they thought LOL).
    2 were complete jerks (with one being a full blow dumb*ss).

I'd say the CO to regular LE numbers are about the same. 50/50 if you're gonna get a pro or an idiot.
    Same for most professions I reckon.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I've never had any issues with CO's, they normally ask to see the license, ask how the fishing is and move on, all of them I have ran into were pleasent and laid back. I have a question though, if your out in the woods carrying your handgun, has anybody had one give you a hard time about carrying?

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I had a CO sneak up on me after dark, out in the woods, all alone. I had a pistol on my belt, open carry.

No problems. The officer didn't ask me to disarm or try to take control of the weapon for his own safety. He never asked to see a copy of my permit. Apparently he was just checking to see what I was doing out there after dark and when it was obvious I wasn't up to no-good there was no worries. We chatted for a few minutes and he wished me a pleasant night and good luck.

What do you think a sheriff or city cop would have done had they encountered an armed man out in the dark with no back up? I venture to guess they would have had me face down in the dirt more than likely.

I personally have a bad attitude when it comes to law enforcement. I just don't like cops. But if all cops were like the CO's I've encountered I think my attituded towards law enforcement would be much more positive. I've never met a CO with a Barney Fife attitude.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I believe in none this. Indiana CO's are mythological creatures like Bigfoot, Yeti, and Keyser Soze. I have never seen one in the woods. I have called them numerous times to report poachers and trespassers and always end up with a deputy sheriff who apologizes cause the CO is "busy". Yeah, busy NOT EXISTING. Sure there are guys at state parks and hunter ed classes, but I think they are just actors hired by the state to perpetuate the myth.:D

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I believe in none this. Indiana CO's are mythological creatures like Bigfoot, Yeti, and Keyser Soze. I have never seen one in the woods. I have called them numerous times to report poachers and trespassers and always end up with a deputy sheriff who apologizes cause the CO is "busy". Yeah, busy NOT EXISTING. Sure there are guys at state parks and hunter ed classes, but I think they are just actors hired by the state to perpetuate the myth.:D
    Pick up a fishing pole without a license and step towards the water... They'll come to you like moths to a flame!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Pick up a fishing pole without a license and step towards the water... They'll come to you like moths to a flame!

And I think it was covered here a while back, also dont hang out with a friend who is fishing with several poles unless you too have your license.

I think the story was a guy was fishing legally. He had the maximum number of poles in rod holders on the bank. His buddy stopped by to hang out and have a beer. They were near the poles but the visitor never touched any of them. CO stopped by to say hi and busted the visitor for fishing without a license because there were enough poles for both of them to both be fishing.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    And I think it was covered here a while back, also dont hang out with a friend who is fishing with several poles unless you too have your license.

I think the story was a guy was fishing legally. He had the maximum number of poles in rod holders on the bank. His buddy stopped by to hang out and have a beer. They were near the poles but the visitor never touched any of them. CO stopped by to say hi and busted the visitor for fishing without a license because there were enough poles for both of them to both be fishing.

Assuming that the story is true, that would be a prime example of someone (i.e., the CO) who needs to be collecting unemployment benefits.

After thinking about this, how is this any different from charging a drunk with drunk driving for walking through a parking lot with more empty cars than people present?

Last edited:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    CO's (CPO's in Illinois) formely called game wardens in many states, they have more "rights" than a State Trooper. A CO can search your car, person, and even home without a warrant. This is why they are brought in on drug searches at homes. Ive never dealt with a IN CO but many in IL. Its been along time since Ive ran in to one. It use to be 1 game warden (CPO) per every 3 counties back in the late 1980's now they are really spread thin over in IL. I dont give them a reason to arrest me or give me a ticket. Hunting and Fishing...I keep it clean.

CPO= Conservation Police Officer

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Willphill12
    Top Bottom