• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    I am often asked by newer shooters and new concealed carry permit holders what gun they should buy to carry. If only it were as simple as recommending a firearm I love to carry. The truth is that there is no one size fits all answer to this question. You must choose a gun that you can become proficient with, are comfortable with, will actually train with, and that fits your body style and wardrobe for concealability. It does no good to buy an excellent firearm that you won't carry because it is uncomfortable or unconcealable. I always have my students try a number of quality firearms and holsters prior to making a purchase. This is the perfect place to share your thoughts on your own carry gun and holster and what you have carried in the past. Good and bad. Why you like or dislike. So Indiana, what do you carry, what holster do you carry in, and why do you like it?

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I find that having a handgun that fits my hand greatly increases my proficiency with it. Take for instance my two in .45 ACP. One is a 1911, the other an XD. They are both reliable accurate weapons, but nothing fits my hand better than a 1911. It just feels right, and as a result, I am much better with it. It is what I carry. Sure I joined the Army at 17, right out of high school, and the first handgun I ever fired was a 1911. I do love the history of the design, but it's the fit and feel of it that make it work so well for me. Maybe JMB and I have similar hand size?

I carry in a Blackhawk Serpa retention holster. Yes, it marks up the gun worse than leather, but I love the security it gives.

Go shopping, try friends guns, find one that you can comfortably handle, then practice with it. You, and everyone around you (except the bad guy) will be better off.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Honestly I have come to recommend the Glock 17/19/26/34 or M&P9/9c. Seems they are becoming the standards to be compared with. They are popular, easy to find, reliable, and almost all holster makers offer a product to fit. Novice or experienced shooters handle them well. If it isn't what you want they hold their value well. Not that there aren't other good choices but these pistols just work and come in great size options.

i usually carry a commander sized 1911 in a CompTac MTac.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, I carry a diverse range of handgun sizes and calibers and 'trunk guns', depending on... whatever that 'little bird on my shoulder' says. My personal 'concession' is I carry nothing smaller in caliber than a 9mm. Often, more than one firearm. The 'best' caliber to carry? The one that's "dead on target", every time.

ALL are carried in top notch 'off the shelf' OR custom made holsters, depending on... whatever I happen to choose!

EVERY firearm I carry has more than one holster so the option is available to carry in different ways. Firearms come in a variety of sizes and shapes, so how I carry just depends on where it carries 'best' for my personal body size. ALL holsters are equipped with some sort of retention device as only the naive or stupid believes they "can't" potentially be disarmed.

Some 'refuse' to do so for some unfathomable reason, but my entire wardrobe - from jeans to tuxedos - are designed around my carry options.

And BTW, EXCELLENT advice, HTF! :thumbsup:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I carry a Browning HiPower, in a Kramer pancake holster. It's the most naturally pointing pistol I've ever shot, accurate, and reliable.

Plus there's a certain level of class and sophistication you get with a HiPower that you just don't get with ANY other pistol.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've recently purchased a commander sized 1911 with a round butt--that thing just feels good in my hand. I bought a Safariland ALS for my XDm a few months ago and liked it so much, I bought one for my 1911.

When I have to carry a bit more discreetly, I like my S&W BG 38 in a pocket holster. It's really the most comfortable setup I own.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    What I carry? Depends on where I am going, and what I am wearing at that time. More times than not, I carry either a 1911 of some variety, or my Hi-Power. When I am headed to work (carry at work is forbidden, so it tends to be a truck gun in that application) I usually have one of my J-frames with me, and on occasion my K-frame stuffed with .357s. Lately, I have had an XDs in that application, as my wife has taken over my Kahr MK-9.

If going out, and desretion is on the menu, I favor my J-frame, or my LCP.

When someone asks me "What gun should I buy" I try to take into consideration their experience, and their willingness to put the time in to hone their skills with the weapon they choose. Someone without much(or any) experience with handguns, and not of a confidence level to approach the issue without timidness, I wouldnt recommend anything especially tiny, high in recoil, or overly complicated. I was almost to the point of stepping into a conversation this weekend when the kid behind the counter at Rural King kept trying to sell a new shooter, and her husband (also equally obvious he had ZERO experience) on a S&W BG380. His reasoning was it was small, and it had a lazer, so you cant miss, and it has a safety, so you wont shoot yourself. She had anxiety about her ability to cycle the action, as did her husband, and the clerk was adamant that there wasnt anything that would be a better option. Several better options that would have been more appropriate were in the case, but the kid was clueless as to what things a new shooter should look into.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I find that having a handgun that fits my hand greatly increases my proficiency with it. Take for instance my two in .45 ACP. One is a 1911, the other an XD. They are both reliable accurate weapons, but nothing fits my hand better than a 1911. It just feels right, and as a result, I am much better with it. It is what I carry. Sure I joined the Army at 17, right out of high school, and the first handgun I ever fired was a 1911. I do love the history of the design, but it's the fit and feel of it that make it work so well for me. Maybe JMB and I have similar hand size?

I carry in a Blackhawk Serpa retention holster. Yes, it marks up the gun worse than leather, but I love the security it gives.

Go shopping, try friends guns, find one that you can comfortably handle, then practice with it. You, and everyone around you (except the bad guy) will be better off.

Agree on everything you said except when I joined the army at 17 while in my junior year of high school I had to shoot the beretta.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    Great feedback here from everyone. Please keep the posts coming. I typically carry a Glock 30 .45 acp in a Crossbreed IWB holster. If I am only wearing a tee shirt, I switch to a Glock 26 in a Raven Concealment IWB holster.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I tend to think the specific pistol is much less important than the skill of the user. I favor simplicity. I stay away from extra levers or buttons like safeties and decockers. I like a smooth pistol without too many protrusions that might impede grip or manipulations. I prefer a barrel in the 4" or greater range and a consistent trigger feel for shootability. I gravitate toward popular models wiith relatively inexpensive magazines and plentiful replacement parts. There are a number of pistols on the market that meet my criteria. I see them as pretty much interchangable.

After that I think there is much more value in spending ones time on the range wearing the gun out than agonizing over the perfect pistol at the gun counter.

Holsters should be of quality construction and specifically molded for the pistol. Beyond that, holsters are specific to the appliication.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    There is definitely no one-size fits all in this department. The best compromise I have found so far for my lifestyle has been the M&P shield in a kydex holster, worn in the appendix position. Spare magazine in my front pocket. I need my setup to be low profile especially at work, so I have found my M&Pc or P224 to just be too thick. I almost always have a BUG on an ankle as well if possible. When I do not have to worry about size I switch to the M&Pc as my primary and have been experimenting with the P224 and P229.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    52258116.jpg

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Glock 19, of course. All guns should be Glocks, all Glocks should be...just kidding.

In all seriousness, I sort of come at this backwards from what most people do. I start with what I DON'T want in a handgun. Or, when giving advice, what I think others should NOT want in a handgun.

So, I don't want extra levers, external hammers, external safeties, whiz-bang lasers, grip safeties, etc. I'm left with the simpler of the options. I then go with the more proven, more reliable, more widely-used guns in this category. This is generally the Glocks or M&P, things like that. Once a new shooter can master that stuff, then he can feel free to go out and get something less practical. Like a 1911 or whatever :)

Personally, I carry a G23. Big Dot sights, of course. I have a Surefire X300 on it. And it sits in a Raven Concealment OWB holster. It's the best combo I've found for me.

Other than the sights, everything in the gun is stock. I don't believe in screwing around with special triggers, pins, etc.

I used to carry the 23 in a Blade-tech IWB holster which is great. But I found I wanted a light and IWB is too much for me with a light. So, I decided having a weapon mounted light was more important than an IWB holster.

I carry the same gun the same way in the same holster in the same place every day.

I try to encourage those new to shooting to obsess about how well they shoot AT LEAST as much as they obsess over what gun to carry. Preferably, a LOT more. Personally it is disturbing to see endless debates and questions about what gun to carry and very little (comparably) questions about how to shoot better. I look at my gun as a tool to save lives. Period. It isn't to impress my neighbor or guys at the gun club. I don't pull out a wrench or screwdriver and try to impress people with it. That would be silly. That's my approach to carry guns as well.

But that's just my philosophy, I'm not try to recruit any followers :)

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Glock 19, of course. All guns should be Glocks, all Glocks should be...just kidding.

In all seriousness, I sort of come at this backwards from what most people do. I start with what I DON'T want in a handgun. Or, when giving advice, what I think others should NOT want in a handgun.

So, I don't want extra levers, external hammers, external safeties, whiz-bang lasers, grip safeties, etc. I'm left with the simpler of the options. I then go with the more proven, more reliable, more widely-used guns in this category. This is generally the Glocks or M&P, things like that. Once a new shooter can master that stuff, then he can feel free to go out and get something less practical. Like a 1911 or whatever :)

Personally, I carry a G23. Big Dot sights, of course. I have a Surefire X300 on it. And it sits in a Raven Concealment OWB holster. It's the best combo I've found for me.

Other than the sights, everything in the gun is stock. I don't believe in screwing around with special triggers, pins, etc.

I used to carry the 23 in a Blade-tech IWB holster which is great. But I found I wanted a light and IWB is too much for me with a light. So, I decided having a weapon mounted light was more important than an IWB holster.

I carry the same gun the same way in the same holster in the same place every day.

I try to encourage those new to shooting to obsess about how well they shoot AT LEAST as much as they obsess over what gun to carry. Preferably, a LOT more. Personally it is disturbing to see endless debates and questions about what gun to carry and very little (comparably) questions about how to shoot better. I look at my gun as a tool to save lives. Period. It isn't to impress my neighbor or guys at the gun club. I don't pull out a wrench or screwdriver and try to impress people with it. That would be silly. That's my approach to carry guns as well.

But that's just my philosophy, I'm not try to recruit any followers :)

I concur.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    if you ever want to shoot steel poppers upside down between your legs, you'll wish you had some big dots, Jackson :)

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Like many others have said in this thread already, it depends on a lot of different factors.
    *If I am carrying somewhere where I am not supposed to (read "not allowed," be it by sign, company policy, etc), and i have to tuck in my shirt, I tend to favor my G27 in a Henry Holsters AIWB single strut holster. I use a full size holster for the sub compact gun because the length of the holster helps keep the gun pulled into my body so that it conceals better.
    *If I am going on a walk with my wife, kid, and dogs I usually step up to my chopped G22 with surefire x300 on it in a Henry Holsters Light Bearing AIWB holster with an attached mag pouch and spare mag. This gives me 29 rounds total and a light on the gun. This is also my primary carry choice for almost every day.
    *On especially hot days, or days when I don't want to carry with a light IWB, I carry either my chopped G22 or my G35 (usually on the chopped frame) in the Henry Holsters AIWB single loop holster that I already mentioned. I also carry a spare magazine in a Henry Holsters IWB mag carrier in the appendix position as well.
    *On the rare occasion that I choose to OC (or in the winter when I wear more layers) I carry the G35 with the Surefire x300 in a Raven Concealment Systems Phantom LC holster with 2 Tacos on the opposite side with mags.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've recently purchased a commander sized 1911 with a round butt--that thing just feels good in my hand. I bought a Safariland ALS for my XDm a few months ago and liked it so much, I bought one for my 1911.

When I have to carry a bit more discreetly, I like my S&W BG 38 in a pocket holster. It's really the most comfortable setup I own.

What pocket holster do you use for the Body Guard? I'm picking one up tomorrow.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    What pocket holster do you use for the Body Guard? I'm picking one up tomorrow.

This one. I bought it because it was cheap and I wasn't sure if I'd like pocket carrying. But I haven't really seen a need to replace it. When I have to disarm, I transfer my gun to another one I keep in my vehicle console to keep it from rattling around, etc. I can leave this one in my pocket and go about my business with little notice.

DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster Ambidextrous Colt Detective Special 2

Top Bottom