• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    Thanks in large part to all of the good advice on this forum, I have been constructing a BOB for me and for my family members (I will give them the bags on Christmas and walk them through how to use them and what is in them). My Dad and my Brother will each get their own pack. I am stuck on what knives/other blades to suggest for them to include in their bags.

I have a Busse SARSquatch in mine along with a Griptilian partially serrated folder in my bag.

the packs are larger hiking backpacks and could accommodate a variety of options. I keep vacillating between a variety of options and wondered what suggestions people might have.

I was thinking about a serrated Spyderco folder for cutting parachord and other items, a small hatched for wood, and a fixed blade (here is where I am stuck), and then some sort of multi-tool (not really a blade, I know).

I am flexible on price. I am not going to buy each of them a 350 blade, but I could swing 150 or so a piece if necessary.

Thanks

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    What I go with

Each of my bags has at least a fixed blade knife and a leatherman tool. Walk home bag has a sheath and belt in case I am in dress clothes when SHTF.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I've got a Gerber lmf asekII that's for the hard work, and my trusty Buck 110 folder for the finer work. Also keep a Gerber camp axe (I think that's the size) on the pack. This combination lets me get done anything that needs done.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    in a fixed blade I usually carry two, one big 8-10" for chopping and batoning and a smaller 5-6" for more generalized use. a cheap and good idea would be swedish mora knives for a small fixed blade. for a folder a griptilian is a great choice as it has good steel and its ambidextrous. multi tools are also a good idea. a saw is something not mentioned with much regularity but a pocket chainsaw like this keeps the size and weight down while being fully functional and useful. Ultimate Survival SaberCut Saw 24" Flexible Chain Blade - Knifecenter.com

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have a benchmade CSK and Leatherman in my bag and a gerber in a couple other smaller bags for other people. I need to get a couple blades for them to but my funds are more for taking care of me first and them when I can.

Sweet James

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    London
    A bushcraft knife with a swedish firesteel to make fire might be a good option?

Bushcraftstuff128Custom.jpg

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Pack- Busse SHBM
    LBV/ Heavy belt- Busse Nuke Heart Variant
    Pants belt- Busse Leaner Meaner, Gerbertool & Swisschamp
    Pocket- CRKT Kasper/ Crawford folder (2)
    Layered and pretty much will do everything.
    Maybe a little pricey but it's only my life and my loved ones lives that I'm putting the price tag on.
    YMMV

Bob

Sweet James

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    London
    sweet james that is a very solid looking knife. and fine detail w/ the leather there.

Thanks I carry one similar as my EDC. The firesteel means you can start a fire anywhere however wet it is. Fire and water are the two key things you need to survive. The blade is strong enough to baton wood and prepare food. I carry a folder too and a Leatherman Wave.

Top Bottom