Not open for further replies.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    giphy.gif
    Oh come on. Once you're outnumbered, it doesn't make much difference.

mstagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I got...

- A SW642 ladysmith for carrying to and from work
    - A Colt ce2000 because it was the closest rifle I could find to the M4 I had in the service
    - A Beretta px4 carry for EDC, a little big for summer carry, but outstanding gun
    - A SW629 6.5 classic and some wood hogue grips, Im excited

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was hoping to get enough back to buy a M&P Shield .45 and install a furnace and A/C unit...but found out that A. I made too much money last year and B. My kids are old enough I don't get any child tax credits anymore....so what I am getting back is going toward a new furnace and A/C unit...now I just gotta find out how much ammo or gun trade it will cost to have my brother install it

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was hoping to get enough back to buy a M&P Shield .45 and install a furnace and A/C unit...but found out that A. I made too much money last year and B. My kids are old enough I don't get any child tax credits anymore....so what I am getting back is going toward a new furnace and A/C unit...now I just gotta find out how much ammo or gun trade it will cost to have my brother install it

So this is what tax refunds have gotten us, the mindset of making, "too much money".

SMH.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Wow little brother, I maybe taking it wrong but I read that as though you imply I was looking for some entitlement. And that is not at all what I meant. All I was implying is that I had a good year and that put me in a higher tax bracket. In any case a tax return is based on what was deducted from an individual pay check and then getting back what is ALREADY yours that was paid in above & beyond what your tax responsibility is. So don't get it twisted

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Wow little brother, I maybe taking it wrong but I read that as though you imply I was looking for some entitlement. And that is not at all what I meant. All I was implying is that I had a good year and that put me in a higher tax bracket. In any case a tax refund is based on what was deducted from an individual pay check and then getting back what is ALREADY yours that was paid in above & beyond what your tax responsibility is. So don't get it twisted
    [terminology corrected] :xmad:

I should have pulled your name because I know not of your situation, nor do I want to imply anything.

But, for those that receive EIC (You do realize that many, many get back FAR more money than what was deducted from their paycheck, right?), then yes, it is an entitlement and I hear, "I made too much money" with all sincerity because how they lost that literal entitlement. For others, "too much money" means a loss of a certain credit or deduction. For others, it's simply a mindset - "I didn't get as big of a refund, so I lost money." I've had people get upset with me because of this - they got less of a return, and that was unacceptable. (fact and figures be damned)

[Again, this is not directed to any one person.]

:soapbox:

Doesn't anyone look at the actual amount of taxes they pay? For all those that know the exact amount of their refund, I ask you, do you know how much the federal government kept? :dunno:The whole concept of a refund works so perfectly for the government. They don't have to worry so much about you being able to pay come April, and you'll be complaisant because you receive a fat check.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    wont be anything gun related :(

need 2 tires for my truck, my air compressor needs a rebuild, need replace the tools i gifted to my stepson at xmas time, drivers window wont roll down on my truck, the A/C dont work either, A/C in the wifes car quit working 2 years ago....

:cheers:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    [terminology corrected] :xmad:

I should have pulled your name because I know not of your situation, nor do I want to imply anything.

But, for those that receive EIC (You do realize that many, many get back FAR more money than what was deducted from their paycheck, right?), then yes, it is an entitlement and I hear, "I made too much money" with all sincerity because how they lost that literal entitlement. For others, "too much money" means a loss of a certain credit or deduction. For others, it's simply a mindset - "I didn't get as big of a refund, so I lost money." I've had people get upset with me because of this - they got less of a return, and that was unacceptable. (fact and figures be damned)

[Again, this is not directed to any one person.]

:soapbox:

Doesn't anyone look at the actual amount of taxes they pay? For all those that know the exact amount of their refund, I ask you, do you know how much the federal government kept? :dunno:The whole concept of a refund works so perfectly for the government. They don't have to worry so much about you being able to pay come April, and you'll be complaisant because you receive a fat check.

You make some good points, but I don't recall ever qualifying for an EIC. Used to qualify for a child tax credit. But in any case doesn't matter, but yes I do pay close attention to to how much is deducted from my check and and how much my paid tax amount is etc. Anyway, I can understand what seems to be an aggregation for regarding people receiving more than they even paid in...I agree that is BS and know plenty of people who brag about getting a crazy amount back each year...those I know are also on some form of welfare/assistance program too. And they usually waste it on a bunch of stupid stuff they don't need. I get itbut can't do much about it besides vote

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

need 2 tires for my truck, my air compressor needs a rebuild, need replace the tools i gifted to my stepson at xmas time, drivers window wont roll down on my truck, the A/C dont work either, A/C in the wifes car quit working 2 years ago....

:cheers:[/QUOTEQUOTE

I gotta ask how have you gotten away with the wifes car not having A/C for 2 years?? My wife would probably withhold something like hot meals or cold drinks until I got it fixed

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

:cheers:[/QUOTEQUOTE

I gotta ask how have you gotten away with the wifes car not having A/C for 2 years?? My wife would probably withhold something like hot meals or cold drinks until I got it fixed

The AC in our van sprung a leak last summer.
    That project moved to red tag top priority.
    It was the coupling in the line set to the rear evaporator. Talk about a tough part to find.
    She drove my truck until hers was fixed.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The AC in our van sprung a leak last summer.
    That project moved to red tag top priority.
    It was the coupling in the line set to the rear evaporator. Talk about a tough part to find.
    She drove my truck until hers was fixed.

I can imagine how tough it was to find. Sems like we have had venders install rear hvac systems in vans using parts they got on clearance. Inevitably we tear one apart and find out the parts are discontinued and have to find a suitable replacement. One company used pvc fitings to splice into heater hoses. Within a year they were warped and leaking so we had to get brass barbed fittings and unions to to fix their crapy installation. And yes when the wife has a problem I need to fix it goes to the top of the priority list.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You make some good points...
    I try, but sometimes go overboard. ;)

I have no problem with EIC or CTC, in fact, other than the large amount of fraud, I like it and have gone on INGO record in favor of it. (as do many economist)

Who am I to judge what others should do with their money? If I start judging them, then... Besides, when I ask my clients (income under $54K), the answer is "bills" almost all the time. Contrast that to this thread...

I do make it habit to clearly go over the numbers, "Here's how much the govt is keeping" ... and "Here is how much EIC you received", when I do someone's tax return. I want to make sure they understand the concept behind things.

But, I digress... My agitation is from the subconscious mindset that a tax refund is free money.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom