What do foreigners think of our gun laws?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    A while back I had a coworker who had immigrated from Ghana a year or so before. Nice guy, a common topic of conversation was how different our countries were. Since he's been in the US for a short time, he really did not understand that gun ownership is a right in this country. His eyes got HUGE along with a big smile, asking all sorts of questions when I said it was a right. Back in his home country, firearms are mostly owned by the military and some police.

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    I really don't care what foreigners think about our laws or customs. If they don't like them they can go back to their own country. Same way as I feel about the middle east. I don't like their customs and beliefs so I have no intention of ever going there. Plain and simple.

hntrroy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    Winslow IN
    While on a humanitrian mission to Romania, I was working with some of the Romanian army troops. One of them and I hit it off pretty good and we worked together well. We had lots of conversations about the differences in our countries. One of the questions he asked me was "why do all Americans have guns?" My response came out before I even thought about it, "why shouldn't we have guns?". He shared with me that they were all under the impression that the U.S. was all about violence and killing each other. That is what he was taught. This was not long after the Carcascau execution and the fall of the Berlin wall. I understood that they were probably taught that to try to keep them under control. We talked alot about it and I think he understood the truth once I was able to explain it. It just makes me wonder how many of the former communist block nations used that kind of teaching to sway national ideas and opinions. Since most of them dont actually own firearms I would assume that it was common practice. I guess WE just have to keep spreading the word and sharing truth about our rights and also our responsabilities. Love this forum!!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I really don't care what foreigners think about our laws or customs. If they don't like them they can go back to their own country. Same way as I feel about the middle east. I don't like their customs and beliefs so I have no intention of ever going there. Plain and simple.

Have you actually followed any of this thread, or did you just decide to deposit your two cents' worth? Do you say the same about New York and California? How long do you think your little bastion can hold out if you just write off everyone outside of it?

In fact it is critical for the future of this nation to win as many supporters of liberty as possible. Which we won't do by turning our backs on the rest of the world.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Have you actually followed any of this thread, or did you just decide to deposit your two cents' worth? Do you say the same about New York and California? How long do you think your little bastion can hold out if you just write off everyone outside of it?

In fact it is critical for the future of this nation to win as many supporters of liberty as possible. Which we won't do by turning our backs on the rest of the world.

Well said. :+1:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not to mention, as any good conman can tell you, the best and most assured means to fleece the uninformed of their wealth is to first understand intimately the precise nature of the uninformedness. We can't get what we need out of the Romanian Army, the Asian Communist economies, or the OPEC cartels if we don't first know precisely what it is about us that they just simply don't understand and then exploiting that.

hzhang92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis

Agree!:yesway:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That is my answer also. I don't care what they think. Most of them hate us anyway, regardless of what we do. So f... them.

In a world ruled by pop culture, people who truly don't care what other people think are either ignorant, or are in a position powerful enough not to have to care. So can I assume you're powerful enough not to care?

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    In a world ruled by pop culture, people who truly don't care what other people think are either ignorant, or are in a position powerful enough not to have to care. So can I assume you're powerful enough not to care?

That's not quite accurate. There are those that choose not to care to maintain their own sanity. It's not that those people are ignorant or powerful, just cynical and jaded at worst.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    While on a humanitrian mission to Romania, I was working with some of the Romanian army troops. One of them and I hit it off pretty good and we worked together well. We had lots of conversations about the differences in our countries. One of the questions he asked me was "why do all Americans have guns?" My response came out before I even thought about it, "why shouldn't we have guns?". He shared with me that they were all under the impression that the U.S. was all about violence and killing each other. That is what he was taught. This was not long after the Carcascau execution and the fall of the Berlin wall. I understood that they were probably taught that to try to keep them under control. We talked alot about it and I think he understood the truth once I was able to explain it. It just makes me wonder how many of the former communist block nations used that kind of teaching to sway national ideas and opinions. Since most of them dont actually own firearms I would assume that it was common practice. I guess WE just have to keep spreading the word and sharing truth about our rights and also our responsabilities. Love this forum!!

Question is, how do you hold near absolute power without teaching them that? Ceausescu and his wife were both executed it was so bad. My parents have plenty of stories about life there. It was bad enough that my father walked his freedom starved ass to Austria and managed to defect to the states. Bad enough my grandmother had to stand in line for hours before sun up to get a laughable size of meat to feed the family. That my family believes they killed my grandfather for trying to emigrate since he had valuable knowledge that better served them than the US. That every time I talked to my father, he always said he was afraid of what would happen to us down the road because the US isn't as free as when he first came here in the 70s, right up until he passed two months ago.

Yes we should care what foreigners think. And turn as many as possible to the dark side.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I am not a very worldly person. I try to follow world news on a basic level. A friend of mine is a Political Science professor at IPFW and he follows mostly Africa and Europe, so I get my dose of updates from him when we meet for food and/or a cigar.

About ten (10) years ago I decided to tour Europe and backpacked around for 40 days. It was my largest trip ever. I traveled through eight (8) countries and traveled very down to earth, being an ardent follower of Rick Steves ideology of enjoying the culture and people of travel, not just the places and things.

In that time everyone, and I DO mean everyone, was very kind, helpful and respectful EVEN THOUGH they knew I was American. I did not flaunt it but neither did I hide it. At some of the youth hostels I stayed at we got into some serious political discussions.

For the most part few hates Americans. Rather, they hate what our GOVERNMENT does either directly or indirectly to them. Gee, I wonder how many people in my own country hold this sentiment...???

What others think is critical because others ACT. What WE THINK is important because we ACT. Every human being impacts every other to a minute degree. Distance often mitigates that impact but that does not negate it. We all act on different priorities. So do foreigners. When they act it could be through avoiding American made products, writing letters to their elected officials, or simply protesting outside of our embassies. This then puts pressure on their politicians to act in some way either in our interests or opposed to them. This then does affect us.

At the current time our international influence is waning - as it should. As history shows us all nations on top eventually decline. It is inevitable.

We can land hard or we can land soft. How we land will depend not only on what we do but on what the rest of the world does. What the rest of the world does is based upon what the rest of the world thinks. How it thinks it based upon what its perception of us is.

We were loved worldwide post WWII. If we would have had an economic collapse at that time most of the free world would not have acted against our interests. As we have moved away from benevolent helper toward worldwide hegemony we have eroded much of the goodwill our fathers and fathers fathers earned for themselves and for us.

Why is it so many are willing to applaud the freedoms and liberties handed down to us by our forefathers yet dismiss the goodwill earned by those who served just a couple of generations ago? Their contribution to our nation and the freedom of people all over the world was just as important blood that was spilled as those of George Washingtons era.

What we think does matter more to us than other nations. We have the most control over our own destiny, just as they have the most control over theirs. However, whether we move forward helping one another (or at least not opposing each other) will affect our quality of life and the quality of life for generations of Americans to come.

Don't think this door does not swing both ways. What we think affects them as well. This is not a one way street. Our tireless struggle to preserve the rights our forefathers swore to protect keeps the torch burning for others around the world as well as for us. But as far as I am concerned the torch of liberty is not ours alone but the hope of all human beings who yearn for freedom.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom