What do i have and how much is it worth?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Looks like something stamped on the bbl. by the O.P's thumb-that could tell a lot.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Thumb pic appears to read 262 NK ? meaning the outside neck diameter of the chambering. Probably an old 6PPC.

I too am interested in the full writing on the barrel and the back story on how you acquired it. Need details!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes, the OP seems to have gone MIA...

iu

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    FWRR spent thousands on a benchrest match range. Then Fred Sinclair sold his business to Brownells then up and died... Benchrest is pretty much dead too. F class at 1000 yards is the current thing.

The rifle is pretty much worth whatever the receiver is worth.

I miss Fred. He was a hoot.....

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    FWRR spent thousands on a benchrest match range. Then Fred Sinclair sold his business to Brownells then up and died... Benchrest is pretty much dead too. F class at 1000 yards is the current thing.

The rifle is pretty much worth whatever the receiver is worth.

I miss Fred. He was a hoot.....
    I would say benchrest is far from dead,although F class @ 600 and 1000 are very popular,not a lot of places you can shoot that distance compared to 100-200 yard. And nothing make a better prairie dog rifle than a "retired" BR rifle! Yes,I miss going in Sinclairs also!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    So, does that look to be professionally 'smithed or bubba work?

Side note;
    Would love to hear the back story of how the OP came to be owning this specimen, with so little knowledge about it?
    Me too. I wouldn't buy or trade for an item that I knew nothing about.
    So maybe an inheritance?

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Definately not a Stolle/Kelbly. I have bought-sold three of those this Summer, 2 Pandas and a Teddy, with barrels in .22 Waldog,6 mm PPC and .30 BR.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I would say benchrest is far from dead,although F class @ 600 and 1000 are very popular,not a lot of places you can shoot that distance compared to 100-200 yard. And nothing make a better prairie dog rifle than a "retired" BR rifle! Yes,I miss going in Sinclairs also!
    Nothing you said is untrue, however a true benchrest rifle is not meant to be shouldered by a human. The benchrest stock is designed that the only contact with the shooter is the trigger finger. And that trigger is way too light for any field use. After getting the action out of its glued in stock, the trigger and barrel both will require major work, then the action will need to be bedded into a stock that allows shoulder mounting and bipod or sling.

It is not inconsequential....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nothing you said is untrue, however a true benchrest rifle is not meant to be shouldered by a human. The benchrest stock is designed that the only contact with the shooter is the trigger finger. And that trigger is way too light for any field use. After getting the action out of its glued in stock, the trigger and barrel both will require major work, then the action will need to be bedded into a stock that allows shoulder mounting and bipod or sling.

Forgive my ignorance, but just what is the point of bench rest competition? How well you can place the rifle on the rest? I had no idea about it. I guess it just sounds like a competition to see who can create the most accurate rifle, as opposed to who is the most skilled shooter?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    In be
    Forgive my ignorance, but just what is the point of bench rest competition? How well you can place the rifle on the rest? I had no idea about it. I guess it just sounds like a competition to see who can create the most accurate rifle, as opposed to who is the most skilled shooter?

In bench rest competition, Group location does not matter. Only group size. So yes, it's a competition of the most accurate rifle and ammo combo.

We built and installed concrete benches to give them the most stable platform possible. A total waste of money.

Benchrest was popular and now is not.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In be

In bench rest competition, Group location does not matter. Only group size. So yes, it's a competition of the most accurate rifle and ammo combo.

We built and installed concrete benches to give them the most stable platform possible. A total waste of money.

Benchrest was popular and now is not.
    Thanks for the explanation! Sounds like something that rifle manufacturers and ammo producers/reloaders would be involved with rather than the average competition shooter.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Thanks for the explanation! Sounds like something that rifle manufacturers and ammo producers/reloaders would be involved with rather than the average competition shooter

Thanks for the explanation! Sounds like something that rifle manufacturers and ammo producers/reloaders would be involved with rather than the average competition shooter.
    There was a time that it was widely popular. Before factory guns capable of 1moa were available. The print magazine, Precision Shooter, was very popular with the bench rest crowd. People like Fred Sinclair built businesses around bench rest. Some of the tools for ultra accurate cartridges are sold every day to this day

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008

Gun doesn't have to come out of stock to change either trigger or barrel,and who shoots prairie dogs offhand? I would say 95% are shot off of portable benches,which is exactly what bench stocks are designed for.The two holes in the side of the stock are the trigger pins-knock them out and drop the trigger to replace if necessary. The barrel doesn't touch the stock,all you need is a barrel vise and action wrench to pop the bbl. off,action stays glued in.

Top Bottom