• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I belong to a couple forums and several gun Facebook pages (these are typically a joke) and all the time I see "custom" AR's for sale. I'm personally not a fan of AR's so I don't follow them closely but I don't consider most of these guns I see to be "custom". I consider a custom gun to be built by a reputable builder using parts that you can't buy off the shelf. This is just my opinion and I'm curious to see what other peoples opinions were on this matter.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Custom, build, custom build; hard to define sometimes. It's like knives anymore. Midtech, production, production midtechs, customs, etc. One giant PITA.

I think custom is just a term that makes it sound better than it actually is, most of the times, they're just built.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Custom - One made specifically for an individual.....

IMHO, doesnt mean it has to be made with unavailable parts or by a reputable builder. Just needs to be made to to fit the user specifications.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Custom - One made specifically for an individual.....

IMHO, doesnt mean it has to be made with unavailable parts or by a reputable builder. Just needs to be made to to fit the user specifications.
    In a broad sense, I would agree with this. Having said that, it seems like an awful lot of people think throwing minor parts/accessories at an off-the-shelf item makes a "custom" gun and will price it accordingly. That's customizing a stock gun, which is different than a one-off build.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Calling an AR a "custom" gun is absurd. The reason most of us buy an AR is because it is "customizable". Where would it start being a "custom" gun? Adding a rear sight? Changing the handguard? New pistol grip? New stock? Most AR rifles don't even come with a rear sight (unless its a Magpul) so even adding that makes it a custom gun. It's a really ignorant way to describe an AR. It's just an attempt by the seller to justify his asking price.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I agree a custom gun is something built by a smith with parts you can not buy.

Too bad people misuse the term and bolt on a bunch of aftermarket junk calling it "custom". I call it a Frankin build and would personally never buy such an oddity.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Custom just means it's built to the builders specs. It can be sonethibg very nice or a conglomerate of cheap junk. Imo it's a pointless designation unless it is custom built by a respected smith/armorer.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Calling an AR a "custom" gun is absurd. The reason most of us buy an AR is because it is "customizable". Where would it start being a "custom" gun? Adding a rear sight? Changing the handguard? New pistol grip? New stock? Most AR rifles don't even come with a rear sight (unless its a Magpul) so even adding that makes it a custom gun. It's a really ignorant way to describe an AR. It's just an attempt by the seller to justify his asking price.

This is what I was basically trying to say, I just beat around the bush about. You went straight for the kill haha

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    In my eyes, all ARs are pretty much just parts guns. Very few of the manufactures actually make the parts they are using. I value them according to the quality of components that are used.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    This is what I was basically trying to say, I just beat around the bush about. You went straight for the kill haha
    I know. I've seen this time and time again. Someone buys a cheap AR for $600, throws on $800 worth of crap, tries to sell it for $1400 because its "custom". It's still a $600 AR with $800 worth of crap. The only time I would consider something more valuable as "custom" is if it was a special order, one-of-a-kind, made to my specifications, rifle from someone like Daniel Defense, LMT, Noveske, LaRue etc., but I still wouldn't pay factory new price (and I would need to see documentation).

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Spot on Jeremy either that or its built from a bunch of low end parts to form a Frankenstein gun that someone spray painted green

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Spot on Jeremy either that or its built from a bunch of low end parts to form a Frankenstein gun that someone spray painted green

Just throwing it out there...
    What if it was a AR in a caliber the end user came up with or made that wasn't available otherwise? To me that is a custom.
    Anything else would be customized, even if it came from DD. ...readily available parts to the consumer in a different configuration ...

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    This is also why I don't sell guns. I never leave a gun in its factory configuration (what fun would that be!?) and I know I will never get back the $$$ I put into it.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Just throwing it out there...
    What if it was a AR in a caliber the end user came up with or made that wasn't available otherwise? To me that is a custom.
    Anything else would be customized, even if it came from DD. ...readily available parts to the consumer in a different configuration ...
    Sure, a wildcat caliber created by the original owner would make it custom (one-of-a-kind) but I would be very hesitant to buy something with zero aftermarket support.
    ETA: someone interested enough in a one-off of this type would probably be willing to pay a premium because they would really have to want it.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    "Custom" and "Customized" are two very different things. Many people don't know the difference, and confuse their "customized to their liking" with a real custom, built by a gunsmith, AR. Tapco and NCstar accessories do not make a gun custom.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I think this would qualify as a "Custom" AR...

Turnbull TAR-15

1article_header.jpg

Anything else is just modified.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Sure, a wildcat caliber created by the original owner would make it custom (one-of-a-kind) but I would be very hesitant to buy something with zero aftermarket support.
    ETA: someone interested enough in a one-off of this type would probably be willing to pay a premium because they would really have to want it.

Why would this be? The gas system works the same, the parts ....oh the parts. Gotcha now. I had an epiphany while typing.

Top Bottom