What do you guys think of this for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    OK, I sold my previous home defense gun. I was thinking about putting this in the closet for home defense. What do you guys think??? I would also like to shoot an appleseed but with a 12mm bullet, it doesn't count since 8mm is biggest allowed to qualify.

picture.php

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    It's better than a baseball bat, and if you're competent with it, that's all that matters in the long run.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Its a Colt Custom Combat Commander with a Mech Tech Systems CCU upper. 10 rounds of .45 acp topped with an aimpoint. I have plenty of other choices. I prefer a carbine rifle for home defense. It is this or an AR or a Mini or an AK. I do not like the AK for home defense because it is easily villified.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    If you're going to drop the money to buy that, go out and but a Just Right Carbine in 9mm, .40 or .45.

I was thinking about a Mech Tech, but why spend that much money to only have a upper that can not be used when you don't have it mated up.

Besides there are options that can benefit you, by being able to have mags do double duty between handgun and carbine if you own the right handgun.:yesway:

2012-02-07_21-37-39_480.jpg

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Not really a barrel shroud. It is basically a piece of muffler pipe acts as a non-moving slide for the .45. It is straight blowback and has a bolt and barrel contained in the pipe. There is a piece of plastic bolted on the muffler pipe on the foregrip. Presumably, this is to prevent heat transfer.

Guess I will take it out and shoot it to check accuracy and reliability.

ThatEvil434

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    there is no substitute for an 18 inch 870, with 00 buck or #4 shot, but it does beat a hammer, or a steak knife?

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I think an 1187 is an EXCELLENT substitute for an 870. I can drop 6 shots on target in about 2 seconds. If I ever do have to reach into the drawer for the ol' .45, it's already a bad day.

Wait a minute, did somebody say BARREL SHROUD?!?!???? KILL SHOT!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!! BARREL SHROUD!!! AAAAAHHH!!!!!!

RspecZX6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Shelbyville, IN
    That would probably ruin an intruders ballsack should one stumble onto your property.

What is that? .45acp? Oh yeah, it will take care of Mr.Badguy`s clackers faster than a bored lot lizard on slow night at the local truck stop.

If he were to flee, should he survive, he will have to explain why his junk is missing some pieces. A shot anywhere else can be dismissed, but one like I explained above will forever haunt him.

Think about it.

Top Bottom