What do you recommend for multi-purpose?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    I'm sure this has been asked a million times and it's a two parter that I'm consolidating into one thread.

First off, I've never built, or bought an AR style rifle before. I know they're extremely popular guns, and I'd also like to have one. I think I would prefer something shorter like an M4 carbine instead of a long M16 style rifle. What are some things I should look for in a rifle like this? I plan on using it for all kinds of things, which is why I want it to be multi-purpose. I'll use it on a range for simple target shooting/plinking. I plan to take some tactical/practical classes with it, perhaps compete with it. And I plan on using it for home defense. And maybe even hunting. I don't have a lot of money, so I don't want to be looking at a $1000 to start with ($500-$700 is reasonable), but I don't want to "throw away" my money on something that won't fit those roles or is simply sub-par quality (I'd rather not get anything, than spend my hard earned money on a piece of junk). I just don't even know where to start. Something like the S&W M&P15 Sport is attractive because of the price. Is there a reason I should/shouldn't get this rifle? Pros and Cons? Other suggestions, and advice would be greatly appreciated.

The second part is basically the same thing all over again in a shotgun. I love trap shooting, but because of finances I love anything that can play multiple roles very well. I'd like to have a shotgun I can shoot trap with, take some practical/tactical classes with, maybe compete with, and will also work well for home defense. My brother just bought a Remington 870 Express for trap shooting, but I think it's too long of a shotgun for some of these other uses. I'm not as concerned whether or not it's an autoloader or pump, but an over/under or side by side just isn't going to cut it. Will a shorter barrel, like on the Mossberg 500 Turkey Thug be less suitable for trap shooting (16-25 yrds)? Should I invest in a choke for trap shooting if I go with a shorter barrel?

Thanks again for any suggestions/advice. Maybe a link to a website for a newbie like me would work wonders.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I prefer COLT ar's. It use to be follow you ABC's. Armilite, bushmaster and colt. Those times have passed. I will let others Answer the Ar part after saying colt.

Shotgun 870 wingmaster used.

Some of the expresses will rust while you watched(rem has fixed this now) . As far as barrels they are also available used/new starting at 100 dollars. I have many from 18 1/2 to 45 inch's long (card or turkey shoot barrel) even a mossburg 870 barrels are made. The wingmaster is better finished and smoother than the express. There are millions available used, the only special tool needed for them is if you want to change the forearm. They can do it all and are a very proven platform. They do not rattle like the mssdburgs They made way to many for them ever to be a collectors piece. If you want a little more versitility get the wingmaster 870 mag and you can shoot 3 inch shells for coyotes and geese. I don't need to shoot 3 1/2 inch 12 guage sheels if I did I would just move up to the 10 guage.
    Don't let barrels lenght fool you when buying a shotgun like the 870. If it is a legal barrel someone makes what you want for them. Hastings even makes straight rifled barrels for improved paterns over smooth bore shot barrels. The date of birth is on the barrel and barrels

GET THE 870.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The M&P15 Sport is a nice rifle.

I just picked up a Sport for the same reason.

For another option, the Spikes is highly regarded on the forum and there is a great review posted by Esrice here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...view_spikes_tactical_st_15_m4_le_carbine.html

There were some great deals on other S&W's and the Spikes towards the end of last year, however I was still early in the interest phase at that point and should have executed then.

In the end I picked up a Sport a little over a week ago and took it out that same weekend for a bit of range time at Atterbury. It performed to my expectation which was function/reasonable accuracy and no major issues same as I would expect of other guns (which admittedly I don't have a ton of knowledgeable expectations when it comes to AR's as I am a noob in that field).

I too will be looking for a class that I can work into the schedule to do some real shooting with it, but so far so good on the Sport.

Buds has had them intermittently and the cheapest cash price I saw on the Sport was $568. Local prices seem to run anywhere from about $599 - $650 for those that have them in stock. Gander Mountain had them advertised for $649. However I picked mine up at a local shop for $599 + tax.

The Sport does not have a Forward Assist or a dust cover. There are some other compromises, that more informed folks than me could comment more appropriately on the significance. The barrel twist rate is 1 in 8", and the chrome lined parts include the Gas Key and the Bolt Carrier. So there are tradeoffs, it is however backed by the Lifetime Service Policy of S&W.

Up until now I have never owned an S&W firearm, however I now have a couple of more fairly high up on my want list.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    You might just want to go to Wal Mart and lok at a Ruger mini-14. they are at $625 in 223.

Being completely ignorant on the subject, wouldn't I be sacrificing some serious customization ability by going with a Mini-14?

Seems like there's oodles of accessories, modifications, and just plain goodies for AR style rifles than there are for Mini-14s. I'd really hate to see something that i really want that I couldn't get for a Mini-14 that I could get for an AR. I don't want to pigeon hole myself like that... But I don't know, maybe there are a bunch of stuff for Mini-14's I just haven't seen cause I'm not as familiar with them.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Being completely ignorant on the subject, wouldn't I be sacrificing some serious customization ability by going with a Mini-14?

Seems like there's oodles of accessories, modifications, and just plain goodies for AR style rifles than there are for Mini-14s. I'd really hate to see something that i really want that I couldn't get for a Mini-14 that I could get for an AR. I don't want to pigeon hole myself like that... But I don't know, maybe there are a bunch of stuff for Mini-14's I just haven't seen cause I'm not as familiar with them.

Yes.

If you want an AR15 you will be disappointed with a Mini14. Just my opinion.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If I had to own just one shotgun to do everything and I mean everything the barrel would be 21" to 22" long, have a Vent rib and threaded for choke tubes. 23" is fine too but remember 18" is really best for use indoors, 26" to 30" for trap and sporting clays. When in doubt go shorter not longer for versatility.

One such gun is the Remington 1100 special field, but stay away from that gun, (special field model) I just use it to make a point. After 20 years of making a gun like that, semi auto with a 21" barrel, both Remington and Mossberg got smart and started selling that length in both semi auto and pumps.

I often will travel with just an 1100 special field I have and take plenty of choke tubes. It is a compromise but I have shot just about every kind of bird and upland game with it and every clays game there is.

You might use an IC choke (Improved Cylinder) for sporting clays, a Full for trap, skeet for skeet and Modified for hunting and all in the same day or weekend.

If you look real close at some of the Turkey guns they are HD guns with a vent rib and camo. About 10-15 years ago Benelli took their M1 in 20 gauge, put the pistol grip stock on it and extended mag from the factory and called it a field gun. Yeah, whatever, it was a 20 gauge HD gun all the way.

nhcruffler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    You have started in the right direction by asking around. FWIW, I say buy the AR. Just do some research on the one that you are most interested in. I believe most of them function about the same ( but I may be wrong). I have an older Mini 14 / Ranch rifle and it is a nice serviceable rifle. It is just not as modular or have as many add ons available as an AR style rifle. ARs are inherently more accurate also. On to the shotgun. Either an 870 or Mossburg 500 is a great choice. I have the field barrel and a slug barrel for my 500 ( and my wife's 870). You might want to consider placing an add in the local classifieds stating that you are looking to buy a good used 870 or 500. Chances are you find extra barrels also. My way of thinking is this-- many guys that grew up with guns are getting old & passing away. Many times , their kids are not interested at all in dad's or gramps old guns and would be happy to sell them off cheep. And then there is the guy that is out of work and needs the money. Good luck in your search. NH

GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point
    In regards to the AR, I just went through this recently. I bought my first one last weekend, and decided on an optics ready M&P 15, with Magpul furniture. I researched for over two months before making my purchase, and that rifle with a Magpul overhaul, was perfect for me.

Like someone else posted, member Esrice has some insanely good reviews and how to write up's. If you read through everything from him, you will have a really good idea on which way to go.

And to stay on the cheaper side money wise, look into building one yourself. You would be able to get exactly what you want in a rifle, and really keep the cost down. I know for a fact, that I will build my next rifle.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I have an M&P Sport also. Affordable and easily customized. It lacks some bells and whistles like forward assist and a dust cover but those are not necessary for me.

Top Bottom